Getting to know eachother

espiritumapache

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I haven't been on in about a week.. eek maybe more? FireFly and the family (me included) have just been getting to know each other better.

We seem to have run into a bit of a possible conundrum. Tequila (our chihuahua) was so eager to play with her and she was a bit nervous at first.. but she's gotten over it and now she thinks he is like a giant mouse. Any time his guard is down, she gets into her little huntress position, her booty gives a wiggle and she pounces on him. At first he loved it, now he seems to be getting a little paranoid- I guess because she does it so frequently (she is young.. were not sure how young but under a year while Tequila just turned 7 years old in Feb, he still has a lot of energy but not like her, lol) All seems to be peaceful playing, except she has taken to doing it when he is eating, now too, and I'm worried he is going to not want to eat because he doesn't want to get his bum jumped on.

Is there any way to teach her that, yes playing is good, but it would be more polite if she waited till after he ate? lol.. 

We'd appreciate it :p

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Separate him when he is eating, unless he is being free-fed.  If you see her trying to get him, distract her with a kickeroo toy or something similar.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you feed them at same time? She'd be too busy eating to worry about playing. If free feeding, this would be a good time to set up scheduled feeding times instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

espiritumapache

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tequila is free fed, FireFly is currently getting EVO dry available all day and gets BG canned meals before I leave to work, when I get home and before we go to bed. The way the apartment is set up, there is no way to feed Tequila in a separate room (kitchen has no door, he's not allowed in the bedroom because he sheds a lot and fiancee gets allergy problems.. Other than that there is just the bathroom and if he gets locked in he'd be more likely to sit and cry instead of eat). FireFly has her food and water in her "safe zone" which is the top of the ferret cage. I could try giving her a can of food when Tequila is eating and distracting her with toys if giving her a can of food isn't convenient at a particular time. Thank you all :-)

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tequila is free fed, FireFly is currently getting EVO dry available all day and gets BG canned meals before I leave to work, when I get home and before we go to bed. The way the apartment is set up, there is no way to feed Tequila in a separate room (kitchen has no door, he's not allowed in the bedroom because he sheds a lot and fiancee gets allergy problems.. Other than that there is just the bathroom and if he gets locked in he'd be more likely to sit and cry instead of eat). FireFly has her food and water in her "safe zone" which is the top of the ferret cage. I could try giving her a can of food when Tequila is eating and distracting her with toys if giving her a can of food isn't convenient at a particular time. Thank you all :-)
You said you haven't been on the site in about a week so maybe you didn't see that EVO dry is on re-call for salmonella. Obviously it sounds like your pets are fine, but I just wanted to let you know so you could check your bag to see if it's on the re-call list.

espiritumapache

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You said you haven't been on the site in about a week so maybe you didn't see that EVO dry is on re-call for salmonella. Obviously it sounds like your pets are fine, but I just wanted to let you know so you could check your bag to see if it's on the re-call list.
Holy crud! Thanks, I'll check it!!

espiritumapache

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We haven't had any issues with our bag, and the links I found that list the affected ones keep saying 'page not found' so, I'm just going to toss it to be on the safe side and buy her dry BG for her dry food instead

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your kitties are okay. There is a list printed somewhere on this site. I think Mewlittle printed it.

Last edited: