Getting Roo neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I apologize, I maybe should have more clear. He will be unsteady on his feet for a little while after he fully wakes up. He's in kind of like a 'hangover' right now. And you said he was walking and even ate a few bites. IF he had been seriously wobbly, unable to stand, falling over and remained in a stuper, then he would have needed to be checked by the vet. But from what you describe, he is doing great!

Cats (like people) will react differently when coming out of anesthesia. That could be due to many things like the anesthesia used, how long he was under, his weight and age,or his tolerance to the drug. 

My two boys were very different. Keeker was awake, walking around, meowing for food, and using his litter box within a couple hours of being home (at 5:00 P.M.). By 8:00 P.M., he was pretty much back to 'normal' - not his hyper-self running and jumping - but active, alert and hopping up on the couch and interacting. 
Kricket, on the other hand, slept almost continuously until the following morning. He was awake and alert and did walk around a bit I (his water and litter box were next to his bed), but preferred to 'sleep it off' completely. He is normally more laid-back and less energetic than Keeker, so his  inclination to sleep didn't worry me. My sister actually had him at her house and we exchanged reports over the phone. He was up and exploring her house, eating, drinking and using his box early the next morning and was climbing on furniture before noon. 

Stop worrying. (I gather it is your nature to worry, right? LOL) Easier said than done, I know!  But yes, allow him to rest undisturbed and wait for him to come out when he is ready. Put yourself in his... booties. If you just had surgery, would you want to be bothered every 15 minutes? Or would you just want to rest and allow your body to recover? There is your answer! He needs rest to heal. Tomorrow is another day and you will both be better! 
Yes I am an avid worrier.How did you guess? Lol.. Roo is fine. Never had any issues although he still seems very much interested in his female sisters. I find that strange & if I didn't see him wobbling around from the anesthesia with my own two eyes I'd swear they forgot to do him! He even still seems to have his man bits! Lol.. Thank you for all you have done helping me through it! Sorry I took so long answering, I'm having a hard time figuring out this mobile site. I seem to have another message from someone as well that I can't find [emoji]128533[/emoji] I'm going to keep looking though and try to learn this site better because I adore this community!!! Thank you again and hope you and your fur babies have a wonderful day [emoji]128153[/emoji]

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am I replying to these posts right? I reply to the person directly in the (quote) section right after their comment and then this (reply) portion responds to everyone in the thread??

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hoping things are going well for you today! 
How are you and your cat faring? 
I found the other post! Yay! I'm still a bit confused with this mobile site. Roo is doing fantastic! It didn't even phase him. Me on the other hand.. Well, you know how I took it. Lol.. Sorry about that! You are great though, so patient with me during it all. You deserve a gold star [emoji]127775[/emoji] Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Roo says thank you as well [emoji]128571[/emoji]

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had so many of mine spayed/neutered it's just a normal thing now. I do wait by the phone for the vet to call but I trust him and I have never had any of my cats have problems afterward. You have to make sure they stay warm and are kept safe for the 24 hrs following.

I always keep mine in a carrier or crate for 24 hrs to make sure there isn't any problems with the sutures and to keep them from jumping or falling. It is safer for them than not spaying/neutering them. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I replying to these posts right? I reply to the person directly in the (quote) section right after their comment and then this (reply) portion responds to everyone in the thread??
LOL, you seem to be doing fine (with both Roo AND the website navigations)!

Yes, it will look like he still has his 'man bits', but actually what you are seeing is 'an empty box with no gift inside'! They remove the testicle, but they leave the sac. I don't know how observant you were of his anatomy before the surgery, but in comparison, he went from 'grapes to raisins' so to speak regarding external size/appearance.

If your vet didn't tell you, Roo can still 'make babies'  following the surgery because there are residual sperm in his pipes (spermatic cords and vas deferens). It can take about 72 hours for residual sperm to die off, but to be absolutely certain (in case your cat carries a 'Superman' sperm, LOL) I'd suggest waiting at least a week to be on the safe side.So, if you have a female around who hasn't been spayed, I would keep them separated! Also, it could take some time (up to 60 days) before his testosterone levels drop depending on your cats age at the time of neutering - older Tom's who have passed puberty tend to take longer. With that being said, Roo might still 'mate' with your female for quite some time, even though he will just be 'going through the motions'. But, since he was done at 5 months, this is probably unlikely. My two boys were never in contact with a female other than their mother for the first 6 weeks of life, and all cats react differently. Just didn't want to be alarmed if you happen to catch him 'humping' her in the future.

There is a veterinarian online source called Pet Informed that goes into a LOT of detail regarding the process and before and after expectations of spaying and neutering (including diagrams) that you might find interesting; especially if you are planning to have your female spayed. http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/feline-neutering.html 

At any rate, I am glad Roo is doing well and that you survived the whole ordeal. In the meantime, take a deep breath because raising kittens into adulthood is not much different than raising human babies - there will be the teething, refusal to eat what you offer for dinner,  potty accidents, house destruction, boo-boo's and rebellious behavior and, on occasion, those middle-of-the-night trips to the ER. 

But, not to worry!  Worrying is like carrying an umbrella everywhere you go waiting for it to rain! Everyone here at The Cat Site and your vet will be here to help get you through it!

Last edited:

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you were saying about me navigating the site just fine... I JUST found this reply! Lol.. In my defense though, I only started using the full site about 4 days ago. Before that I was only on the mobile site. Thank you for all the wonderful support and info!! It's actually coming in quite handy now, for our other male is getting neutered tomorrow. If your not familiar with my recent thread but we just had a litter of 9 a week ago. Sadly it's 8 now. Reason being, we couldn't get Teddy in to be neutered in time. It was either financial difficulties or more recently a bad URI that swept through our otherwise healthy brood. It happened during that. I'm wondering if the steroids had anything to do with the size of the litter? :idea: // Thank all of you here at The Cat Site from the bottom of my heart for all the care and support :grphug2: