Getting Rid of the Urine Odor

gossamer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!  So, about a week and a half ago, my cat peed right on my bed and got it on the sheets, corners of two pillows, and it soaked down through and into the mattress.  I caught it pretty soon after it happened and put everything through the laundry (except the mattress, of course).  Unfortunately, the odor still remains.  It's not that bad and rather faint and I only notice it when I stick my nose right to the blankets/pillows/mattress.

I've tried using Nature's Miracle to remove the smell, but it hasn't worked yet.  I dumped the whole bottle across the effected spots 3 days ago and it's completely dried as of last night, but the odor is still there on everything, sheets too.  Though it still smells like cleaning solution.  Is this stuff supposed to take longer even after it has dried?  Or is there something else I should try?  I'm mostly concerned with my mattress, since if I can't get the odor out, that would be a huge pain to replace.  x.x

alicemama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have used a product called "Knock Out" it's a green bottle with a boxing glove on the front. It worked great for removing puppy pee smell from my area rug. It's fairly inexpensive too. Worth a shot. Good Luck

mcb753

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't tried Nature's Miracle or Knock Out, but in my experience Lysol (about a half a cup in addition to regular laundry detergent) gets the smell out of sheets and pillows pretty well (although it does leave a chemical smell, but that goes away after the next time you wash it).  I have had trouble getting the smell out of a mattress, too, but the thing that worked best was bleach.

I would recommend that you get some kind of mattress protector now that your cat has gone on your bed; I don't know if this is normal, but when my cat goes outside his litter box, he always goes back to the same place.  I assume its because he can smell it even if I can't.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw this in FB. The one who posted it is an experienced cat owner. I think I can share it here since the recipe was posted in a FB group. 

RECIPE: CAT URINE ODOR REMOVER

1 quart (4.6 metric cups) of 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid soap

GENTLY mix all the ingredients together in a NON-metal container. DO NOT MIX OR SHAKE VIGOROUSLY!!!

This is best used when fresh but can be stored. DO NOT keep it in an air tight container; the oxygen created by the peroxide and soda will explode! I put it in a plastic spray bottle and stored it on a top shelf with the top slightly loosened....Dab up as much of the urine as you can with paper towels, spray down the area until well saturated, allow to set for 24 - 48 hours for very bad spots, less if fresh. After the mixture is dry, vacuum well. You can repeat this process as many times as needed. It is inexpensive and easy to make up.

The peroxide can be purchased at any drug store!

***Porous surfaces may swell (drywall, wood floors, etc). Always test for color-fastness before using.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you use an enzyme/biological laundry power / liquid?  If not, wash it all again using one, and if the pillow smells soak it in a solution overnight and then wash it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will just add that I'm having the exact same problem, and I've found that the hydrogen peroxide method works for getting the odor out. 

kafeid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yayi posted:RECIPE: CAT URINE ODOR REMOVER1 quart (4.6 metric cups) of 3% hydrogen peroxide1/4 cup baking soda1 teaspoon liquid soapI have used this recipe before. It really works!

Last edited:

signorinasirena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same issue with the cat urine odor smell. After three months of seemingly constant cat issues, our latest problem has been a UTI for my younger cat, who is one of the ones who associates the pain with the box and goes on the floor. 

Yet another vet visit and a diet change and the UTI is gone and she's using the box, but I've had to completely close off the room I used to keep the litterboxes in because of the smell of this one spot she made. 

I've used a gallon or so of the Nature's Miracle, and it's a few days short of a week, but that smell is still there and somehow seems stronger. 

Will it get worse before it gets better? Should I keep waiting, expecting the odor to lessen, or should I try something new?

whammytap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good ol' fashioned white vineger, available at your grocer for about two bucks a gallon.  Dilute it 50/50 with water and pour or spray on to eliminate urine odor.  Will smell like vinegar 'till dry.  For really bad odor (tom spray or repeated offenses), use vinegar full strength.

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had luck with the white distilled vinegar and warm water trick.  Mix 50/50 in a spray bottle, and douse the spot good.  Let it sit for a few minutes, then blot it dry.  Sprinkle baking soda over the spot and let it sit for 24 hours before vacuuming. 

The peroxide works too, but it can bleach out what ever you're using it on.  Test it in an inconspicuos spot first.