Getting over Cat Allergies! Temporarily.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,

I have a friend who is between homes right now staying with me for a month. This is going pretty well - there's barely been any drama between Sassy, my 14 year old domestic longhair, and my friend's 14 year old pomeranian, which was my main concern.

The problem, however, is the fact that my dear friend is horribly, nightmarishly allergic to cats. In the interest of disclosure I will say that this is a friend I used to date and this was sometimes an issue when they spent the night, too.

They woke up this morning covered in hives and gasping for air and I'm kind of at a loss because we have to do this for a few more weeks. They're taking Zyrtec and Benadryl religiously. I vacuum everything at least once a week with a Dyson Animal. I have two BlueAir purifiers running on HIGH at all times, and I brush Sassy a couple of times a week.

Is there anything else we can do? Anyone have experience with a situation like this?

Thanks!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Making a room/bedroom cat-free and deep deep cleaning it might help. DH is no longer allergic to cats; but we used to keep the cats out of our bedroom so all our bedding and things stayed cat hair and dander free. We were very careful with laundry that it never went on the couch or somewhere the cats had been either. He also always showered in the evening and changed into pjs right before getting into bed. We use mattress covers and pillow protectors too. We don't really know when his symptoms to cats went away but those are things we did in addition to what you've already done.

I hope you can find something to help!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, unfortunately it's a small apartment I've been in for 2+ years so Sassy has made her mark, but we are washing our laundry and bed linens separately, which has helped.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with a situation like this, but in addition to what you are already doing, maybe your friend could get an allergy shot from a doctor? I've heard these shots can make people less sensitive to allergens. Just a thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah, I think that's going to be the move.