Getting Our Kitten A Friend?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Currently Matilda is downstairs and the new kitty is upstairs sleeping (she had her first vaccination today). I’ve got all the doors open and they have been around each others scent all day so if they wish to meet they can! Of course I’m here supervising at all times! Poor little one is so sleepy.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try playing with them both (1on1) then feeding them close together. Repeat daily for a week. In the meantime let each cat have run of the place half the day. Then I would try letting them interact after dinner ... but I would seperate them if anyone hissed or growled (and they were not playing.)

Kittens usually bond quickly so hang in there. They will inseparable trouble makers in no time.

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try playing with them both (1on1) then feeding them close together. Repeat daily for a week. In the meantime let each cat have run of the place half the day. Then I would try letting them interact after dinner ... but I would seperate them if anyone hissed or growled (and they were not playing.)

Kittens usually bond quickly so hang in there. They will inseparable trouble makers in no time.
Yes I will try that, thank you. And when you say run of the place, do you mean together? I am here during the day so I can always keep an eye out :-)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No no no I meant switching who is in the safe room. That way your kitten doesn't bounce off the walls from being locked in one room all the time. Until they can eat right next to each other calmly I would not let them interact together.

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No no no I meant switching who is in the safe room. That way your kitten doesn't bounce off the walls from being locked in one room all the time. Until they can eat right next to each other calmly I would not let them interact together.
Oh I see! Sorry about that, makes sense now! This morning they were eating next to each other perfectly. I think little sessions of interactions throughout the day might work. I will separate them at night until I am confident they are content with each other. At 9 weeks old I’m sure they wouldn’t be able to do significant damage to each other anyway but just for peace of mind and also I wouldn’t want them to be stressed.

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tonight went ok, they had dinner together and were able to get close without any wobbles between them. However Matilda isn’t happy still, I’ve noticed she’ll pounce and attack whilst hissing so whenever that happens I separate them for a while. It does seem to be improving.

Also completely irrelevant to them bonding, and extremely gross (consider this a warning:barf:) the new kitty who we think is now called Penelope, had a poop and it had a dead worm type of thing. It looked kind of like spaghetti? I took a picture but I won’t post it unless necessary because it is yuck. She had a deworming tablet at the vets today, would this of caused it to come out like this? Do I need to do anything? Apologies if anyone was eating their dinner.. lol

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
She is probably expelling dead ones, but I would ask your vet if you can do a stool sample recheck in about a week just to make sure they are all gone. And keep the kittens separate until you get an all clear on Penelope’s worms so that Matilda doesn’t pick them up by sharing a litterbox.

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is probably expelling dead ones, but I would ask your vet if you can do a stool sample recheck in about a week just to make sure they are all gone. And keep the kittens separate until you get an all clear on Penelope’s worms so that Matilda doesn’t pick them up by sharing a litterbox.
Yes it was definitely dead. In fact it looked like it had been dead a while! Oh gosh I didn’t think about that, I’ve just emptied and sanitised it. Although I’m sure they have shared since :(