Getting Our Kitten A Friend?

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, hope you are having a good day!

Some of you might know that my partner and I recently got a kitten called Matilda, she is currently 9 weeks old and is having her vaccinations tomorrow. We have recently been thinking that it might be nice to get her a companion whilst she is still very young. We have the means to do so and think it would be nice to have another, also, Matilda has so much energy and I think the only way to match it would be another kitty!:lol:

I do however have some concerns, although Matilda will have had her vaccinations, the new kitten may not of had them yet. Is this an issue?

Also what is the best way to introduce them?

Any advice on having 2 kittens or multiple is appreciated. Thanks!:hearthrob:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call & ask the vet about the vaccines. You could keep the kittens separate until vaccinated.
I'm all for getting a kitten but I would get a male kitten. Personally I like staggering kittens to help with the vet bill but to each their own Just get a well socialized kitten and be sure to spay/neuter early so they don't make babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would call & ask the vet about the vaccines. You could keep the kittens separate until vaccinated.
I'm all for getting a kitten but I would get a male kitten. Personally I like staggering kittens to help with the vet bill but to each their own Just get a well socialized kitten and be sure to spay/neuter early so they don't make babies.
Thank you, thats a good idea. Can I ask why you would get a male? We haven't looked into what sex to get yet so generally curious as to why a male might be a better option. The only thing is we were looking into possibly adopting from a shelter this time so we may not get a preference of gender. Thanks again for the advice :)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are ready for a second kitten, yours is a perfect age to get one. They will grow up to be best buddies and snuggle partners have always had only female kittens and for the most part they have gotten along fine, so whatever sex you prefer will work out great.

I would definitely keep them separated until kitten 2 gets checked out. You want to make sure it is at least ten weeks old, then it will be ready to leave mom and ready for its shots.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep hearing how 2 female cats don't get along.... though if you get them at that young of an age they should be fine.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TBH, I would just make sure that the new cat came with shots etc. We got our first cat from a "private" rescue - a lady who does it mostly on her own - and he came with no shots, no neuter, nothing. That was an expense that was higher than we expected and we really didn't expect anything extra except a yearly checkup. The second guy came from a rescue running within Petsmart and he came "ready to go." It was nice knowing he had all his shots and was fixed.

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We *may* be picking up a new kitten really soon.. like tonight or tomorrow kind of soon! The new kitten is also 9wks old, the same as Matilda. Since they are both so young, will we still have to introduce them slowly and keep them in separate rooms?

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would keep them separated until at least 2nd kitten’s first vet visit so that you can be sure the kitten is healthy and doesn’t have anything your first baby can catch.
I thought so! Hopefully I can get her booked in the vets asap.. providing we do get her that is! :) Thank you so much for the quick reply.

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are picking up the new kitten tonight! Eek!
So following on from the advice I received earlier. She (new kitty) hasn't had her first vaccinations yet so I will try and get her booked in for tomorrow. If I was to keep Matilda and new kitty separate for the night it means the new one would have to be in the kitchen as Matilda has claimed the lounge as her safe area.. Is this okay?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If I was to keep Matilda and new kitty separate for the night it means the new one would have to be in the kitchen as Matilda has claimed the lounge as her safe area.. Is this okay?
Should be ok - I'm laughing as I'm posting this, I just read about someone who left an open tin of tuna on a kitchen counter, walked away for 2 minutes, came back and that tuna was GONE LOL

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should be ok - I'm laughing as I'm posting this, I just read about someone who left an open tin of tuna on a kitchen counter, walked away for 2 minutes, came back and that tuna was GONE LOL
Oh lol! How funny, nothing surprises me after owning a kitten for a week now. Was looking for Matilda one evening, couldn't find her anywhere! She had managed to scale the entire curtain and was perched on top of the curtain rail.. I'm 5"6 and I still really struggled to get her down lol :crazy:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my word!!
I love that - hidden in plain sight, too --sort of - my Big Guy likes to do that as well :thumbsup:

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found the best way to make yourself a tuna sandwich --without becoming a cat tree yourself--is to squeeze the tuna water into the cat's bowl. Melody gets this once a week and is VERY please with the compromise.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! The only thing about kitchens and kittens is that they are small enough to squeeze themselves behind or under appliances. A bathroom would be better but if you go with the kitchen try to block off behind stove and fridge.

meowingmatilda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we picked new kitty up last night and there was a brief introduction, Matilda met new kitty whilst she was still in the carrier, wasn’t great.. they were both hissing. They were separated for the night, Matilda in the lounge and new kitty in the kitchen. This morning I took new cats blanket and gave it to Matilda to smell, she was interested and sniffing it all over.

I decided whilst I am here to supervise them, to open both doors and see if they wanted to interact, they were both extremely curious at first but then the hissing started. The new kitty growls whenever she is playing with toys which I think Matilda thinks is at her, this then escalates it to both kittens growling and the new cat swiping and chasing. As soon as it escalates to this I separate them.

Is this ever going to work? I know it’s only been a night but I’m doubtful already. I really don’t want to stress either of them out.