Getting Nervous About Neutering

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called this afternoon and was told that they were awake and doing just fine and I can pick them up tomorrow at 8am.  It's gonna be a long night without kitty snuggles and the sound of purring.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Great news! 

You must be so relieved.  
  They'll be home for snuggle time before you know it! 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Great news! 

You must be so relieved.  
  They'll be home for snuggle time before you know it! 
I am.  I just hope they're not too scared.  They're in an unfamiliar place with me.  They probably have no idea what's going on or why mommy isn't with them.  I hope they don't think they've been abandoned.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Can you visit them and take them an old dirty shirt of yours so they have your scent to comfort them?  They will probably sleep a lot tonight anyway, though so I would not worry too much.  

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Can you visit them and take them an old dirty shirt of yours so they have your scent to comfort them?  They will probably sleep a lot tonight anyway, though so I would not worry too much.  
I can't.  I'm working until 11pm.  I wish I'd thought to send a shirt with them in the first place.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Well, they will probably be sleeping most of the time anyway.  Plus they have each other and that will mean a lot as well.  When do you pick them up tomorrow?  

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, they will probably be sleeping most of the time anyway.  Plus they have each other and that will mean a lot as well.  When do you pick them up tomorrow?  
8 am.  Which means I'll probably be sitting outside the office at 7 waiting for them to open.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you @Alicia88 for your purraise! :clap:

You are one caring, loving and not to say , a worrying cat mommy :lol3:

Everything will be fine. After the surgery, they'll be still drowsy and will be sleeping thru the night. I don't think that they are thinking that you abandoned them. They'll be so happy to see you when you pick them up.
Did you leave the carrier with them? If yes, most proably they'll leave your kitty in there.
Do let us know when you reached home with your kitty.
Take care ;)

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, the carrier is with them.  They aren't just cats.  They're family.  And they never let me sleep alone.  Not even when I'm grabbing a nap.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And it's so cute.  My boyfriend shares 50% custody of his 3 year old daughter with his ex.  So, when we have her, they take shifts watching over her at night.  One of them will snuggle with me while the other one takes care of her and they switch back and forth.  I swear, I have the two most amazing cats in the world.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That's good for you but I can't say much for others.
Enjoy your kitties and let us know their progress ;)

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Honestly, I can't afford to get another carrier right now.  I was budgeting for their surgery next month, but like I said in the last post, I had to move it up.  And the vet I'm taking them to charges twice as much.  So I've really had to work to pull the money together and I'm flat broke.  We're gonna be eating Ramen for a while.
Look for a pet carrier on Craigslist or your local FreeCycle.org group, if those are options where you live. Yard sales and such may also good places to look. Two cats in one carrier will be very unhappy unless you have one of those huge dog carriers.

FYI, there are low cost spay / neuter clinics and low cost vet clinics. Some require proof of financial hardship before they can provide services to your pet. You can seach for such clinics in your area online. Please try to save money for future vet bills. Vet care is not cheap and emergencies can happen when you least expect it and a bill for a vet ER can be $$$$.

Your cats wil be fine when they get home
Males bounce back quickly. Most don't act any differently after the neuter. A few might be less affectionate for a day or two but they always come around. My Aby was back to zooming around right after I let him ouf of the carrier

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Look for a pet carrier on Craigslist or your local FreeCycle.org group, if those are options where you live. Yard sales and such may also good places to look. Two cats in one carrier will be very unhappy unless you have one of those huge dog carriers.

FYI, there are low cost spay / neuter clinics and low cost vet clinics. Some require proof of financial hardship before they can provide services to your pet. You can seach for such clinics in your area online. Please try to save money for future vet bills. Vet care is not cheap and emergencies can happen when you least expect it and a bill for a vet ER can be $$$$.

Your cats wil be fine when they get home
Males bounce back quickly. Most don't act any differently after the neuter. A few might be less affectionate for a day or two but they always come around. My Aby was back to zooming around right after I let him ouf of the carrier
I'll check around online for another carrier, but it's only about a 10 minute drive home.  If I find something, my boyfriend will have to go get it because I'm working until 11.

We have one low cost spay/neuter program around here and they are currently out of funding.

Their regular vet is a good country vet and he doesn't charge an arm and a leg.  I've been taking animals to him since I was a kid and he's a very good vet.  I am fully prepared to take out a title loan if there is ever an emergency I don't have the funds to take care of.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there's a Menard's store in the area, they have some nice carriers for cheap. In the dog section, but it's the same thing :D. A little one (too little, IMO) is $14.99 and a nice big one is $19.99. They frequently go on sale and you can get the bigger one for $16.99. Just keep an eye on the sale ads! Menard's frequently has good prices on pet supplies because that's not their main business.

Glad to hear they came through so well. Hope you don't get too lonely before morning! ;)

Here's the carrier I'm talking about: http://www.menards.com/main/grocery...429281719-c-8318.htm?tid=-1092352682317995028
It says it's $24.99 but I could have sworn it's normally $19.99. Oh, well, look for the sales!

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there's a Menard's store in the area, they have some nice carriers for cheap. In the dog section, but it's the same thing
. A little one (too little, IMO) is $14.99 and a nice big one is $19.99. They frequently go on sale and you can get the bigger one for $16.99. Just keep an eye on the sale ads! Menard's frequently has good prices on pet supplies because that's not their main business.

Glad to hear they came through so well. Hope you don't get too lonely before morning!
I live in a very small rural area.  The only store that we have that carries pet supplies is Wal*Mart.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a very small rural area.  The only store that we have that carries pet supplies is Wal*Mart.
I live in a small rural area too :D. You'd be surprised what kind of good pet stuff you can find at hardware stores and farm-supply stores. I was surprised to find that Ace Hardware stores carry high-end pet foods. Not cheap, but locally available! Campbell Supply, Bomgaars, Tractor Supply Co, privately-owned farm stores, etc. Check 'em out sometime; you never know until you look!

But I think Walmart has a small carrier for $20 or $25. Also ask around, maybe put an ad on craigslist. Lots of people have unused carriers cluttering up their garage, and would be glad to get rid of them.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a small rural area too
. You'd be surprised what kind of good pet stuff you can find at hardware stores and farm-supply stores. I was surprised to find that Ace Hardware stores carry high-end pet foods. Not cheap, but locally available! Campbell Supply, Bomgaars, Tractor Supply Co, privately-owned farm stores, etc. Check 'em out sometime; you never know until you look!

But I think Walmart has a small carrier for $20 or $25. Also ask around, maybe put an ad on craigslist. Lots of people have unused carriers cluttering up their garage, and would be glad to get rid of them.
I checked online and couldn't find anything.  I honestly only have about $10 left right now.  I wasn't kidding when I said we were going to be eating a lot of Ramen.  Feeding my future step daughter the rest of the "real" food we have in the house and my boyfriend and I are eating cheap noodles until payday.  But, I had to take care of my babies.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the boys' procedures went well! Please let us know when you have them home with you and how they are doing. They are two very lucky little guys [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will.  I'm about to go to bed.  I can't wait to pick them up.

Last edited: