Getting my Semi Feral Cat Back?

Amanda26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have been caring for 2 semi feral cats for a few years now outside. They started getting sick and stuck in crawlspaces recently, and I brought them both into my apartment a few months ago.

This has been a very challenging year for me at work and emotionally, and this situation became very overwhelming for me. I already had my own cats so now I had 3 cats inside, and a cat allergy. I started having bad asthma.

One of the cats, Olive, used to be a pet and he can be handled and picked up. The other cat, Red, is more feral and while I can get somewhat close to him I can not touch him at all. To get him in a carrier I had to put food in a crate and stand far away and pull it closed with a string.

In this overwhelm I decided to bring Red to a feral cat sanctuary last week. The minute after I dropped him off I started feeling overwhelming regret and grief.

Olive has been heartbroken and looking for Red. He is getting a little better as the week is going on. The caretaker at the sanctuary said Red is fitting in well at the sanctuary and already made a friend.

I feel as though I made a terrible mistake, and I have the option to bring Red back home. But I am only allowed to have 1 cat in my apartment, not 3. If there was ever an emergency in the apartment I would not be able to get Red out since I can't handle him. I want to bring him home but I am worried of taking him from a safe situation to a potentially precarious one.

I was considering moving to an apartment that allows 2 cats but I am not completely sure I will be rehired at my teaching job.

My friends and family are telling me to leave him there but I have a strong feeling to take him back home.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ultimately, you have to follow your gut and what you feel is best. But, tbh, if Red is doing well where he is at (you can always check on him) and Olive is adapting, not to mention your pet restrictions which you are already breaking, I am not sure you shouldn't let things be as they are.

A week is not a long time at all, so if Olive is already adapting, I think he will be fine in the long run.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you able to visit the sanctuary to see how Red is doing? If Olive is doing better, he likely just needs time and I'd hate to see you and 3 cats be pushed out of your place should your landlord become irate....whereas it's easier to negotiate that you only have one extra...

How's Olive fitting in with your other cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amanda26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to visit the sanctuary to see how Red is doing? If Olive is doing better, he likely just needs time and I'd hate to see you and 3 cats be pushed out of your place should your landlord become irate....whereas it's easier to negotiate that you only have one extra...

How's Olive fitting in with your other cat?
I can visit him in the summer, but I only have a week or so to decide if I want to take him back or not. They don't allow them to be taken back after they have already adjusted.

Olive has still been crying at night and is not himself :(

I want to take red back but I am worries about managing not being able to handle him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I want to take red back but I am worries about managing not being able to handle him.
I think that this is a huge issue if and/or when it finally comes to a head. I understand that this is very painful for you, but you are lucky to have been able to find a cat sanctuary that would take him. This is definitely not the experience of most people who need to place a cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amanda26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that this is a huge issue if and/or when it finally comes to a head. I understand that this is very painful for you, but you are lucky to have been able to find a cat sanctuary that would take him. This is definitely not the experience of most people who need to place a cat.
You are right. I think I am concerned that I did not give him enough time to adjust. I did pet him once when he was outside months ago, but never again. He would follow me outside but I could not touch him.

I am worried that I acted too rashly and I should have given him more time. I have known him for 2 and a half years and he seemed happy in the apartment even if I couldn't touch him.