Getting My Guy Cat Groomed For The First Time; Dominance With My 2 Females

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jack is a big guy who just got neutered a couple of months ago. He's about three years old. I estimate he's 10-12# and he packs a wallop in those big ol' paws of his.

He doesn't bear picking up gladly, and his claws are now pretty sharp. He came in from the apartment complex parking lot to stay [after my friend and I saved his life twice, to the tune of $900].

He's a friendly guy, but isn't wild about being handled. I can put him in a carrier but daren't bathe him myself. He doesn't like much petting, gentle as I am, and he will use his mouth [though he has never bitten me seriously -- usually it's a warning "hold" and I let him be; once he nipped, but didn't break my skin, thanks be].

He's a medium-haired red tabby and needs his butt shaved down a bit to keep from dropping Tootsie Rolls about the floors. He needs a nail trim. He may need a bath for any residual Stud Tail.

I fear he may need sedation and hesitate to do that. Jack lived outside for at least two years, but his teeth look a lot older. Maybe because he was living outside. He's missing some, and had broken two, which got extracted when he was neutered.

Re: bath, is Oatmeal Shampoo bad for cats? I read that it can dry their skin.

2nd Item: He's displayed some dominance behavior with my two 11-year-old female cats; they are usually mellow as can be but are sometimes a bit stressed [having to sneak by him to avoid a "dope slap" for example]. When he's very cross he gets hissy and swatty with me, too. Mealtimes I manage by giving snacks to get each cat in her/his own room. Jack, bathroom; Fiona, BR; Sky, kitchen.

If I play with him daily and keep his box scrupulously clean, his behavior seems to mellow. Also the farther out we get from the neuter, I guess, the more residual male hormones will fade away.

Pardon me if this kind of thing has been posted recently. I've combed the recent threads, but can't go back 400 pages :p

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, the male hormones will fade in time but personality is a different thing. Some cats are more dominant than others. I am not sure about your vet, but mine has a groomer there two days a week and she makes appointments, and if a cat needs to be tranquilized to be bathed, that can be done at the vet. Claw clipping is something you should get him used to also, as cats do not need razor sharp claws when living inside, and in fact they can get caught on fabrics and dislocate a toe. The little blunt nosed scissor type clippers are the easiest to use with a cat who doesn't like to be handled. Wait until a claw is slightly hooked in a fabric, ilke the couch, and snip off that end. It's never hooked up in the area with blood vessels and nerves, just the clear curved part, and you just take off the very end. I would suggest you get him the sanitary trim and nail trim at the vet. As for the stud tail, one of the best treatments is just plain corn starch. You rub it into the greasy area and let it sit for awhile (like overnight) and then can comb it out using a fine comb (like a flea comb or only slightly coarser) and the corn starch will have absorbed the oil and it makes it into little balls which comb out. If he licks it, it is comletely edible, no problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try the cornstarch if the stud tail doesn't go away on its own.

I haven't really caught him with a nail stuck in fabric. But I'll see if I can trim one when he's drowsy.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a shower with a door, rather than a curtain, you can try bathing him in the shower using pails of water and a sponge. Because you don't need to hold the cat down, there is no running water and they can't run out, they don't get as freaked out and will tolerate getting wet much better. Start by using your hands to wet him down then progress to the sponge for the wash and rinse.