Getting my first kitten tomorrow!

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When are you going to the vet? Let the vet advise you on the fleas. I think some of the better topical medications (Advantage, Revolution, etc.)can be administered at 8 weeks. Again, ask ur vet. They will help you figure it out.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When are you going to the vet? Let the vet advise you on the fleas. I think some of the better topical medications (Advantage, Revolution, etc.)can be administered at 8 weeks. Again, ask ur vet. They will help you figure it out.
Oh I forgot, these medications are expensive but they work very well. Once treated, as long as she's inside you shouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

One of the cutest kittens I've seen in a while BTW :-).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitty update: HOLY PERSONALITY! Little girl was wild last night and bouncing all of the walls and being super playful. Loved it! She falls asleep on me and cuddles and goes to bed with Jay at night, so we're trying to handle/interact with her as much as possible to assure she's affectionate as she gets older (hopefully).

Now, regarding the fleas, she seems to be doing okay. I ran out and purchased some Dawn, diluted it, and bathed her down, leaving only her head. Dried her off and used the flea comb (unsuccessfully, thing sucks) to weed through her fur. Her body looked okay, but the fleas had obviously fled to her head because I picked off about 4 before I completely panicked and rushed her to the sink again. This time I soaked her head (being careful of ears and eyes, especially with the soap) and watched a few more go down the drain. I wanted to punch every flea that came off of her. Took her out and dried her off again. She was shaking and terrified, but eventually fell asleep on me. While she was sleeping, I groomed her again and still found one on her. So I made a quick trip to PetCo, purchased Advantage II for kittens, and put it on her when I got home. I closely monitored her for any signs of a allergic reaction, but she was fine! In fact, she became super playful afterward.

I made a point to vacuum the crap out of the living room before I had left to go to PetSmart. I also put down the DE I got at Home Depot. Unfortunately, it wasn't the food grade kind, but it was the pool kind either. Looked it up and people said it was safe for indoor use, but NOT to put directly on your pet (which you can do with the food grade kind). I'm leaving it on until tomorrow when I vacuum again.

As of now she's eating fine and doing everything a kitten should. Still scouting around for an appointment. I have the vet I used to work for, but I know PetCo does awesome vaccination programs for really cheap, so I'm looking into that first. Really need to get her dewormed ASAP.

envykatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick note on fleas. Put a flea collar (or two) in your vacuum bag or they can & will get out. Lol
She is a STUNNING kitten. You name her yet?