Getting My Dumb Kitty to Use the Litter Robot

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finally caved and bought a Litter Robot and after half a week, I'm already obsessed with it. I followed their instructions about switching the litter boxes out by putting the robot in the place where the old one was and then keeping the old one next to it until it got really gross. Hemingway, my smart kitty, figured out that this was his new toilet pretty fast. He actually really likes watching it do its automatic cycles and will run over every time it activates. I had hopes for Reginald, my dumb kitty because I saw him enter and exit the robot a few times. However, just today, when my girlfriend was getting into bed, she discovered the hard way that Reginald had peed on her side of the bed. He's a pretty vindictive urinator, so I know it was him. I still have one regular litter box in the bathroom, but I'd like to cycle it out for the sake of convenience. Long story short, how do I get Reginald to migrate to the robot? I saw him enter and exit the regular box today, and I had to scoop it for the first time in an age. Before the robot, neither cat ever liked the bathroom box. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a tough one, because I feel like some cats may not be able to transition to a Litter robot. I know my anxious lady wouldn't. I don't think it has to do with intelligence--I think some cats are just more particular or nervous than others. I, honestly, would not be into a litter robot if I were a cat. Automatic litter boxes aren't really about the cat's comfort; they're about your convenience, and unfortunately, your cats, most likely, couldn't care less about that :-/

I would definitely keep the regular litter box for the foreseeable future. The last thing you want is for Reginald to be too afraid to use the box and urinate someplace else (like he already has.)

To try to transition, I would get another regular litter box and start it by Reginald's old litter box that he prefers. Then, I would slowly move the box towards the litter robot until it is right next to it (like a couple of inches a day.) The goal is for Reginald to feel more and more comfortable urinating in proximity to the litter robot. Then, maybe when the two boxes are right next to each other, he will sometimes choose the litter robot. Maybe then eventually you can get rid of that transitional regular litter box.

I'd keep in mind though that in a two cat household, 3 litter boxes is the recommended number, so if you do achieve Litter Robot compliance, you will probably need more than one.

I'd also say (from years of experience) that it's much better to scoop a litter box daily than it is to have a cat who does not use his litter box 100% of the time. A flexible and patient attitude on your part will go a long way.

Good Luck!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, I know that it can seem that way, but cats are not vindictive urinaters. Urinating outside the box means that they are under some sort of stress, physical or psychological, and associate that stress with the box. Some cats cannot and do not adjust to an automatic litter box. It just scares the crud out of them...but NOT in the box! You may have to get used to two boxes. One for your confident kitty, and one for poor little scaredy-pants.. And that said, if he watches your other cat use the automatic box long enough, he may come around. Don't try to push him, though. That will quickly backfire in your face...or, as you have learned, on your bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your input guys. I am pretty confident in the Litter Robot as a product, so I'm not particularly worried about it. The newest model is connected to my phone and lets me know any time it activates. My scardy kitty has used it one or two times, but it'll probably just be a learning process for him. I changed his routine to be fed in the bathroom near the regular litter box, so maybe he at least won't decide to pee on the bed anymore. He only ever does it when he's pissed so....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats aren't dumb. They're just very particular about their litter boxes.

Cats don't like to eat near their litter box. Feed the cat somewhere else.

Some cats are happy with a basic litter box. Scooping at least twice a day barely takes a minute to do.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats aren't dumb. They're just very particular about their litter boxes.

Cats don't like to eat near their litter box. Feed the cat somewhere else.

Some cats are happy with a basic litter box. Scooping at least twice a day barely takes a minute to do.

[/URL]
[/URL]
No... you don't know my cat. This one is... not the brightest bulb on the tree. It's not just the litter box; he's dumb about everything.

I also can't scoop twice a day because I have bad knees. It is literal agony for me to bend like that. I can barely walk up stairs. Hence why I wanted the robot. Plus the fact that I have an insane work schedule and I'm not even home enough to scoop twice.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A regular litter box can be placed on a low table or other such furniture if mobility is an issue. You can DIY one or buy one.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If only I lived in larger than a one bedroom apartment. Space is also a huge issue for me. I live in the middle of Chicago.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom once had a cat which trained itself to go to the bathroom in the toilet by watching people. Probably at this point it doesn’t help Reginald, but it’s an intriguing sidebar. Please keep me posted here on your use of this machine, as I have had fantasies myself of getting one but keep thinking that there must be a catch. Agreed with others that yours is not a dim bulb but perhaps needs more time to examine from all angles…and may want its own litter box. I can only imagine what cats must think of a Roomba! PS: Have also seen “hidden” litter boxes that are also benches, which might help you, space wise.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom once had a cat which trained itself to go to the bathroom in the toilet by watching people. Probably at this point it doesn’t help Reginald, but it’s an intriguing sidebar. Please keep me posted here on your use of this machine, as I have had fantasies myself of getting one but keep thinking that there must be a catch. Agreed with others that yours is not a dim bulb but perhaps needs more time to examine from all angles…and may want its own litter box. I can only imagine what cats must think of a Roomba! PS: Have also seen “hidden” litter boxes that are also benches, which might help you, space wise.
I really like having it. I’ve only caught Reginald in it once, and he still seems to be using the bathroom box, but the reduction in litter usage, dust and smell is noticeable. So far the only catch I’ve found is getting Reginald to use it. My other kitty loves watching the robot activate and sift the poop.