Getting frustrated with 9 month old kitten peeing outside of litter box

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am actually a she :) but catspaw66 is correct that I was asking because it can definitely be a reason why cats avoid the box. In giving an answer to a question like this, it is important info since at least some of the time, when a cat is declawed, that is the entire reason they don't use the box and pain management can then be the solution.  I am against declawing unless it is necessary for the health of the cat, which is extremely rare.
I apologize for calling you he,
I know people think I am a she most of the time.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I apologize for calling you he,
I know people think I am a she most of the time.
Oh it is no issue at all.  There would be no way to know, but since I post here at least semi-regularly, thought I'd put it out there.  To be honest, till now I did think you were a she, so I guess it went both ways 
 Live and learn!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh and I searched Amazon and when I typed in Cat Attract, only a brand of cat litter called Cat Attract (costs £30 - almost 50 US$!) and another herb in a tub called Dr. Elsy's litter additive. Is the Cat Attract stuff similar to catnip? 

Thank you for helping!
They are from the same company and developed by the same person. The litter additive is some kind of herbs. I am not sure of the formula.  I looked at Petsmart, and I see the Cat Attract is a little expensive even here.  $12.99 for a 20 pound bag. I just looked at the Pets at Home website - which is the UK Petsmart - and saw neither one on there. I wonder if it is because a lot of people there let the cats out in the garden to use the bathroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmn87x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are from the same company and developed by the same person. The litter additive is some kind of herbs. I am not sure of the formula.  I looked at Petsmart, and I see the Cat Attract is a little expensive even here.  $12.99 for a 20 pound bag. I just looked at the Pets at Home website - which is the UK Petsmart - and saw neither one on there. I wonder if it is because a lot of people there let the cats out in the garden to use the bathroom.
Ah I see - thank you for the information! Yes that might be it... a lot of cats here live most of their lives outdoor and have no need for litter. Hmm :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmn87x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
do you have the food next to the litter box?  make sure the food is in a different room, otherwise she might not go to the bathroom where she eats.

You might also need a second vet opinion/checkup, because it might be a sign of urinary problems as some suggest. The fact that she is deaf may contribute to her doing things differently on her bathroom trips. Maybe google taking care of a deaf kitty might be helpful.

Probably more than one litter box is better, preferably in two separate rooms. Make sure you get the large size box.  Your kitty looks gorgeous, it is always great to take care of a handicapped kitty because she will love you even more for taking care of her.  She knows you are her savior given her situation. I hope you resolve your issues and do you best to keep her. 
Oops forgot to respond to this one! 

The food is a good 10 metres away in the other corner of the kitchen. I hadn't thought about moving the food to a different room before. Hmm...

I actually have 2 vets and went for a check up the previous month and they didn't pick up on anything either 

Awww and thank you for the last comments. Yes she is my baby and so precious to me - and extra special because she is disabled - so hopefully can get over this bump and continue our happy lives together!