Getting cats ready for our absence

sabca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will be away for 8 days in the beginning of December and need some advice on preparing my kitties for our 1st absence.  I will have someone (maybe a few people) care for them every day but no one will be staying in my home.

My biggest problem is that they are only used to me and my husband.  They head for the hills whenever anyone else is in the house.  They are currently a few days away from from their 1st birthday.  

I would love to have them come out when their temporary caretakers are here so they can have some human interaction and playtime.  Lucy, especially, loves to cuddle with me.  I am so afraid that their demeanor will change once we get back home.  

Any thoughts on what I can do to ease the situation?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have the caretakers all come over a few times before your departure so that the kitties may become used to them.  My cats will never come out for caretakers when I am away.  But I always have the caretaker come over a few times beforehand so that the cats get their scent.  You might try to have them come over and sit quietly on the floor.  Then have you and your husband bring the cats out.  Have the caretakers have some yummy food such as plain cooked chicken, canned tuna or salmon to see if they can win them over with food.

Also you might get a few feliway diffusers that might help to calm them while you are gone.  You could also leave a radio playing so the house isn't so quiet.  Lastly, I would leave some lights on a timer for them and also for the safety of your home. 

If the cats choose not to come out, that is ok.  It might just be more stressful for them.  They will be ok as long as they have food, fresh water and clean litter box.  You could have the caretakers leave them a special new toy each day too.  Maybe something with catnip.

Oh, how about a birdfeeder out a window so the cats can look out and enjoy some bird activity? 

Just be sure that the caretakes come inside and immediately close the door behind them.  You don't want the cats frightened by their presence and they get out the door. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response.  You are the 1st one.  

I hadn't thought about the Feliway.  Good idea.  

Lights are on a timer and they have a lovely window with bird feeders just outside of it so that part is taken care of.  I recently had door magnets made that remind people that there are cats living here and to keep the doors closed.  I put them on both sides of the exterior doors which are metal.  

I don't think they will ever come out while the caretaker is here but if they are desperate for attention, maybe.

I am so afraid that they will hate me when I come home.  Hopefully, that won't happen.  

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that having the caretakers come over ahead of time to meet the kitties would be a good idea.

I've been away many times, and while sometimes my cats might seem mad at me for a few hours right after I get home, they always warm back up and are back to being themselves in no time.  :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They will forgive you.  I always give them something extra special when I get home such as some plain cooked chicken, tuna or salmon.  They quickly forget about it. 

If they do come out, have your caretaker take pictures and text them to you.  Also ask for daily updates.