Getting cat comfortable around formerly aggressive cat

kalynnda13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, quick background - Jasper is an almost 5 year old orange tabby. Chaser (officially StormChaser) is an almost 3 year old gray tux. When Chaser came to live with us at 1 year of age, he lived up to his name, chasing Jasper. Due to other things we had to deal with, neither I nor my spouse realized that the chasing was traumatizing Jasper.

Both cats are fixed. Both go to the vet regularly (health issues eliminated). Jasper is an indoor-outdoor (we finally gave up making him completely indoor, though we would like to). Chaser (and the other 6) are indoor only with a large enclosure.

Chaser has calmed down now. Plus, if we play with him enough, he's not that interested in Jasper. But if Jasper runs (or Chaser has too much energy), then Chaser goes after him like prey. Chaser will back off if Jasper hisses and swats at him.

I think we have the situation with Chaser under control - keep wearing him out with toys.  The problem is now Jasper.

Jasper will not come down on the floor if he thinks Chaser could be around. Inside the house, he is either downstairs on a chair (his "safe" space), closed in a bedroom, or on a cat condo. If I carry him to the living room couch, he will only stay as long as I am holding him. Once free, he runs across to a cat condo. If I set him on the ground...I get the same behavior (running to safety).

Jasper can share the space with Chaser - there have been times when both have been on the bed at the same time. And several times I found out Chaser was in the bedroom when I put Jasper back there. Jasper also gets along well with the other cats. He will even do a bit of wrestling with Squirt on the cat condo.

I would appreciate any ideas for how to help Jasper overcome his fear. He is completely confident outdoors. I just want to see him stroll across the floor, come up on the couch for pettings, and own the house again.

Kalynnda

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jasper being an indoor-outdoor cat probably causes him to be more cautious than the indoor ones. Chaser has gotten it into his head that Jasper is a superior play-toy.