Getting a Second Cat

mozzarellastick

Mom to Mozzie and Catrick
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey folks! So I'm likely going to get a second cat this weekend, but I'd love advice from people who have done it. Context: my Mozzarella is 4 to 6 years old, healthy, and settled in well at my 1200 sq. ft. apartment. I've had her for 6 months, and both me and my roommate love her. But over the last couple of months she's started displaying behaviors that, taken together, make us think she would greatly benefit from a feline friend. She wants to play constantly, even though her energy levels are those of your typical adult cat. She claws drapes and knocks things over specifically to get attention, obsesses over food out of boredom, and has separation anxiety when we leave or shut her out of our rooms. My roommate works from home, and has done everything she reasonably can to appease the darling monster, to no avail. She's actually looking to move into another job that isn't WFH soon, so that's an additional concern.
When I adopted Mozzie, she was not a fan of the 30+ other cats at the rescue cafe she was at. She got up high (although not as high as she could have) and hissed at the other cats, especially the rambunctious kittens, when they got too close. She was rescued from a backyard breeder with two of her kittens (who she was fine with) and had been spayed fairly recently. When we took her to a less crowded space, she turned into a total lovebug and her only ire with the few cats nearby was competing for our attention. We think that, with a proper, careful introduction, she may take to a single, well-matched cat just fine, and make our lives easier!
Finances aren't much of a concern, and I have plenty of savings for any vet issues that could arise from two cats. My roommate actually wants to be responsible for the day-to-day costs of the second cat since she'll be the one to hopefully benefit from its presence (i.e. Mozzie won't meow loudly in her video calls and unplug her computer). We're going to look for a cat around Mozzie's age, with a similar energy level and an easygoing personality. We're not sure if a male or female would be better; there are possible pitfalls with both. We're both taking a day off this weekend to fully commit to getting them off on the right foot, and since my roommate will be there during the day the rest of the time, that should help too. The new cat will be quarantined in its own space at first, with scent introductions for both of them and maybe feeding on opposite sides of a closed door. Then we'll hopefully be able to introduce them to each other visually in their carriers, open the door a crack during feeding, etc. I fully expect Mozzie to at least put on a show of aggression at first, but I'm hoping she'll warm up; she's a perfectly rational creature and I think she'll learn that the new cat isn't a competitor but a friend and a playmate. If all else fails, the rescue we're working with is always willing to take back a cat if the adoption doesn't work out for whatever reason, so that's comforting.
Mozzie is totally enough for me, and I wasn't even thinking about getting another cat until we realized it might improve her quality of life (and ours, honestly). I'd love having another furball around (although we're hoping to get a shorthair this time lol), and I've got plenty of love for them both, I'm just nervous about the change and how Mozzie will react. If there's anything I haven't considered here, or any warnings or tips y'all have for me, I'd really appreciate it!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was Mozzie raised as the only kitten in your house? If she was, this could spell trouble for any future interactions with other cats in your home. My cat Boaz was an only kitten in our house for 2 months before my dad and my brother brought their kittens home (a boy and a girl- littermates) and even 2 months was too long for Boaz to be without a kitten pal. He seemed to get along well with our 2 kittens initially, but we eventually learned that even just 2 months was enough to do lasting damage.

Boaz's relationship with our other two cats his age fell apart over the course of about 2 years. Territory and status are more important to him than preserving relationships.

He has no respect for our other cats his age. When he plays too rough for too long, they'll whack him on the head, growl, hiss, scream, and try desperately to hide and he won't take no for an answer. Honestly, he doesn't care when cats or humans get mad at him for bad behavior. He's just selfish and defiant.

Boaz displays a lot of the same behaviors your cat displays. Boaz is food-obsessed. I take him for long leashed walks nearly every day and play with his toys with him indoors and he still prefers to dive into the sink to lick dirty dishes, climb into cupboards and entertainment centers, dig out trash and knock items over.

I'm not saying for sure I think you shouldn't get another cat. You know your cat a lot better than I do, but I want to forewarn you of my experience to hopefully spare you the extra headache I've gone through.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted Mozzie as an adult. To my knowledge, she actually spent most of her life with other cats, but feels very overwhelmed in groups. She's not big on her leash, and only enjoys playtime when someone is interacting with her (we've tried all the automatic toys but she wants the attention as well as the play). Since she's actually been with other cats in some capacity up until I adopted her, I'm wondering if she's missing feline company.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see. Well, if I'm understanding the wording in your first post correctly, am I right to assume that she was hostile to every other cat except her own two kittens?

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - I personally don't think cats do, however if you haven't had a chance to take a look, I posted a couple of articles that might be useful for you above :)
Yeah, it depends from cat to cat. Our litter mates Asher and Posie love each other. I think Posie would do just fine as an only cat, but I think her brother Asher would struggle. Asher is such a sweet, needy baby boy. He loves to play all the time, he follows his human "dad" everywhere and gets mad when his "dad" goes off to the showers. (If Asher knows that his human has gone to the shower, he'll walk all over the house and meow.)

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
I see. Well, if I'm understanding the wording in your first post correctly, am I right to assume that she was hostile to every other cat except her own two kittens?
No, she just doesn't do well in large groups of cats. At the rescue she did just fine when she was away from the crowd and in a room with just a couple other cats, she wasn't aggressive toward them (although she did compete a little for pets lol). She was a successful breeder for a few years, as well.

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
Asher is such a sweet, needy baby boy. He loves to play all the time, he follows his human "dad" everywhere and gets mad when his "dad" goes off to the showers. (If Asher knows that his human has gone to the shower, he'll walk all over the house and meow.)
That's Mozzie to a T with us lol. She rarely enjoys alone time and is usually right at my heels, and cries at the door when I leave for work. She won't let me use the bathroom in peace either, I call her my Toilet Buddy!

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww. Well, who knows? It might work. I should say that I've heard that cats of the opposite gender generally get along best, so maybe adopting a male kitten or adult cat would be best? Let me know how it goes for you. :)

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
Aww. Well, who knows? It might work. I should say that I've heard that cats of the opposite gender generally get along best, so maybe adopting a male kitten or adult cat would be best? Let me know how it goes for you. :)
I will! Yeah, I've heard the same thing, and I've also heard the opposite so I guess it's just a crapshoot lol

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s probably lucky draw. I had two brothers loved each other never had we have a problem. One died and the other was a mess. The neediness the cries the misery was overwhelming. 4 months later we got him a kitten and he loved him from day one. He literally cleaned him after every meal?!?!? Once kitten was around 6 months he turned love into obsession but not the good one. He was stalking hunting and started going for the kill. This story is probably extremely rare but we learned that some cats even when raised with the other cat are meant to be a only child. We made him our office manager and he is thriving. Still as needy as hell harasses every single person walking through the door for pets. I believe that he is exactly where he needs to be. He craves human attention and he relishes in it And that’s what he wanted all along I just didn’t get it. You look like you did your research and are prepared but tread carefully. This may be a can of worms that you may not be able to close if needed. This comes from someone who is owned by 4 cats who live in harmony. It’s hard to undo if it goes wrong however when good…………… it’s haven on eart.
04E3D56D-078F-464E-BF60-1C0F16F7DA5E.jpeg
51B08A85-A56E-4AF7-A1EA-A0492A2F6AC6.jpeg
FFD91C7E-B857-4F69-873C-6F0E8A3673D7.jpeg

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
Noted! Yeah, past a certain point you just have to leap, I guess. Thankfully, the rescue we like actually makes you sign a contract that, if the cat needs to be rehomed at any time for any reason, you will bring them back to the rescue, and because of that they're very understanding when an adoptee has to be surrendered. Obviously we don't want that to happen, but at least it's a safety net. Otherwise I wouldn't be brave enough to try!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Noted! Yeah, past a certain point you just have to leap, I guess. Thankfully, the rescue we like actually makes you sign a contract that, if the cat needs to be rehomed at any time for any reason, you will bring them back to the rescue, and because of that they're very understanding when an adoptee has to be surrendered. Obviously we don't want that to happen, but at least it's a safety net. Otherwise I wouldn't be brave enough to try!
In that case I would go for it. Btw. Love the name of your kitty

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s probably lucky draw. I had two brothers loved each other never had we have a problem. One died and the other was a mess. The neediness the cries the misery was overwhelming. 4 months later we got him a kitten and he loved him from day one. He literally cleaned him after every meal?!?!? Once kitten was around 6 months he turned love into obsession but not the good one. He was stalking hunting and started going for the kill. This story is probably extremely rare but we learned that some cats even when raised with the other cat are meant to be a only child. We made him our office manager and he is thriving. Still as needy as hell harasses every single person walking through the door for pets. I believe that he is exactly where he needs to be. He craves human attention and he relishes in it And that’s what he wanted all along I just didn’t get it. You look like you did your research and are prepared but tread carefully. This may be a can of worms that you may not be able to close if needed. This comes from someone who is owned by 4 cats who live in harmony. It’s hard to undo if it goes wrong however when good…………… it’s haven on eart.View attachment 417543View attachment 417544View attachment 417545
Please clarify for me: Was it the new kitten that started stalking the older one or was it the older one that started stalking the kitten when the kitten was about 6 months old?

My cat Boaz has a similar problem. He initially seemed to get along great with our other two young cats his age when they were kittens, but by the age of 2 & 1/2 years old, his relationship with the other male and the young female fell apart. He was actually displaying signs that things were going wrong early on, but I didn't understand it until now.

He was the only kitten for two months. Two months without other kittens around was enough time to (likely) damage him for life. He plays too rough with our other cats. When they reprimand him with growls, hisses, screams, and smacks, or try desperately to hide, he pays them no mind. When I finally understood that he wasn't getting the message and he was burning bridges with the other cats, I had to intervene. I now have to keep him separated from the girl cat and only allow him around the boy cat with supervision. I'm trying to work on getting him reintroduced to the girl cat in hopes of them getting along good again, but our cats keep yanking folding doors open and accidentally meeting each other too soon. :/

Boaz is defiant. He cares more about territory and status than he cares about preserving relationships.

I don't know if hearing my experience will help any, but I thought I should mention it. I'd love to learn from anyone hear who has similar problems with their cats!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please clarify for me: Was it the new kitten that started stalking the older one or was it the older one that started stalking the kitten when the kitten was about 6 months old?

My cat Boaz has a similar problem. He initially seemed to get along great with our other two young cats his age when they were kittens, but by the age of 2 & 1/2 years old, his relationship with the other male and the young female fell apart. He was actually displaying signs that things were going wrong early on, but I didn't understand it until now.

He was the only kitten for two months. Two months without other kittens around was enough time to (likely) damage him for life. He plays too rough with our other cats. When they reprimand him with growls, hisses, screams, and smacks, or try desperately to hide, he pays them no mind. When I finally understood that he wasn't getting the message and he was burning bridges with the other cats, I had to intervene. I now have to keep him separated from the girl cat and only allow him around the boy cat with supervision. I'm trying to work on getting him reintroduced to the girl cat in hopes of them getting along good again, but our cats keep yanking folding doors open and accidentally meeting each other too soon. :/

Boaz is defiant. He cares more about territory and status than he cares about preserving relationships.

I don't know if hearing my experience will help any, but I thought I should mention it. I'd love to learn from anyone hear who has similar problems with their cats!
It was him who became violent towards the kitten. Started by him grabbing kitten by the neck gentle, I didn’t think nothing of it and kitten was trusting so I figured out he was establishing dominance and teaching baby. It escalated to the point of kitten peeing and pooping on it self when being attacked. We tried everything I was on this site reading and trying every advice I found and nothing worked. Every new attack was worst then the last one culminating with kitten being dazed and bloodied. This is when I had enough .
The kitten by that point was terrorized and didn’t know life without fear and my home was a war zone. The cat was consumed by guarding and dominating everything from food to toys ……… In my case, I was lucky that we have offices that I could put him otherwise I would have surrendered him (would be sorry later) I was so angry and desperate. It turned out that is exactly what he needs and he is thriving. However I learned a lesson and will never allow something like this to happen again. Separating home works for some people, not for m. I feel that every side is miserable, imagine life with household where everyone hates everyone and is doing everything to destroy everything. Now,there are 3 cats in the home and the vibe is completely different, the peace and order are restored and only now I know the hell that we were in.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Three cats in the home now? What genders are the other two and where did they come from? I thought it was just your old cat and the new kitten. Not trying to be too nosy, but I do want to understand how you got from "here" to "there".

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Three cats in the home now? What genders are the other two and where did they come from? I thought it was just your old cat and the new kitten. Not trying to be too nosy, but I do want to understand how you got from "here" to "there".
That’s fine you are not nosy. Lol There were two original cats brothers that picked us out on Caribbean trip. Long story ……… Then one of them suddenly got sick and put down in a space of 12 hours. That was a shock to everyone. This is when the kitten comes in. Then I catnaped my devil, Nera. She was born to a feral in my girlfriends yard. Feral had 4 babies that she was moving for the first time. They were 3 weeks old. So my friend literally snatched the kitten when mom went for another one. After she snatched second she called me.
Today , the feral and other 2 babies are not alive anymore however we have 2 sisters. (Busy road lots of people). Then I wanted a purebred cat for a long time so I figured it’s now or never (I had 2 kittens under 9 months old) . We got raggy so, 3 of them are all 1 year space.Tvo boys and their master little princess (aka devil reincarnated lol) she keeps them on their toes. The boys are regular goofy pals
who are good natured but stuuuuuupid, lol and Nera smacks living daylights out of them. Then they eat and then they sleep together. Then rinse and repeat …. The atmosphere in the house is completely different it’s like nigh and day. I never considered my self a cat person, originally we had small dog when we brought boys home. Point is that there were 3 animals in the house then dog and one cat died. The rest of the story you got. Idea behind is that with 3 there is always someone available to play or do mischief. If someone is not in mood there is another to take the slack so to speak. I have lots of pictures on the site so you can see. And please if it helps ask what ever you feel. I’m not quite sure I know what I’m doing but I’m trying to listen and learn and more than that have fun with them

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
Update! I brought home #2 this morning. Haven't decided on his name yet, but he's a 9 month old, shorthair black and white boy who's playful, super snuggly, and did well with the other cats at the rescue. He's also FIV+. A rescue volunteer handed him to me when I walked in and said "This is Elby, he's a shoulder cat." Sure enough, he climbed up on my shoulder and snuggled into my neck and started purring and making biscuits, and I felt so bad putting him down, lol. After a little while I decided to take a chance on him.

He's hanging out at "basecamp" in my roommates's room for the time being, hasn't seen the rest of the apartment yet. He and Mozzie haven't even seen each other, much less met. I've given them each stuff with each other's scent; the newbie just seemed interested and took it in stride, while Mozzie did a little bit of hissing at the blanket with his smell on it but overall just keeps smelling and studying it. She knows he's in the room, and he knows another cat it outside; they've been on opposite sides of the door, and I'm feeding her near the door as well. He seems to be settling in well so far, lots of napping and asking for pets and exploring his limited space. Mozzie, aside from the hissing and some concerned looks, isn't reacting too much yet. We're making sure to give her plenty of attention and treats. If y'all could keep watching this thread, I'm sure I'll have plenty of updates and questions as things continue! I'll post pictures too once I feel good about #2 being our newest family member!