Getting a second cat... yes or no?

lovemytrent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far we have enjoyed our current cat, Bree, so much that my family has started bringing up the large possibility of another cat. I think that's a great idea and know we won't have trouble affording another cat, or providing care for one.

Bree is a spayed 1 1/2 year old female, but we're not too sure whether we should look for a male cat or a female cat. Are cats similar to dogs in that they tend to get along better with the opposite sex? Bree has never lived with another cat before, but she likes the dog's company, as long as he keeps "out of her bubble". For the most part, she gets lonesome easily, and I think that another cat would make a good friend for her.

I've already answered an ad online, and am awaiting a reply. I'm really excited about the idea of another cat, and just wanted to know everyone's opinions on the pros and cons. Appreciate everyone's thoughts - thanks!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes................... did I say yes?????

My Lucky came first....... She was about 1 yr old when I brought in Bugsy.... after a week or so they were loving each other... And the cherry on the ice cream was when Io brought my little semi-feral Hope! She is a weirdo, but lovely bundle of energy that complements the household like a charm!

I think personalities matter more than gender - if you have a mild/quiet cat, get one that has a similar personality, maybe a little more playful, but NOT an alpha cat...
I would adopt from a shelter, from a rescue or from a reputable breeder.... What I love about rescues is that they know very well their cats personality, making it easier to match with your resident cat... You can work things out with your shelter as well.
The way you introduce them is very important when determining their future relationship.
Go get that kitten!!

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know the shelters here allow you (and actually advise you) to bring in your current pet to meet the future pet you'd consider adopting, I'd try that out. As far as the male/female thing, I think it depends on the individual cat themselves, I'd go for personality rather than looking for a specific sex. Good luck

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by P&R

I know the shelters here allow you (and actually advise you) to bring in your current pet to meet the future pet you'd consider adopting, I'd try that out. As far as the male/female thing, I think it depends on the individual cat themselves, I'd go for personality rather than looking for a specific sex. Good luck
That doesn't work for cats - cats take days, sometimes weeks to get used to other cats, they are not like dogs... I wouldn't take my cat to the shelter... It can be overwhelming to him, and give you a completely different impression from reality...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not go by sex.
Go buy what cat you like when you meet them.
I have 6 cats all girls.
Wrinkles my new sphynx was accepted by everyone the first day accept Cleo.
It took her 3 weeks for her to accept Wrinkles.
They now are good friends and play all the time.
Do not take you cat to the shelter to mee other cats.
You will stress her out.
She will smell to many other animals there.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it is a great idea!! But I agree that introductions are much better when taken slowly. There are so many good threads on this site and so much great advice. And you will be doing a good thing by giving another kitty a good home.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
introduce them properly and it will greatly up their odds of being wonderful and close friends

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My biggest pet peeve helping people pick their new kitty at the shelter here is when they are dead-set on one sex.....you can have the purr-fect kitty for them, but they want the other sex & refuse to even consider that kitty.

Having seen it tried, it's pointless to take your kitty to meet the new one. Cats often freak when out of their environment, and they aren't like dogs where they can meet & do well right away.

Introductions take time - please be sure you read up on how to do a proper introduction prior to bringing a new kitty home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemytrent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your helpful responses! I will be sure to keep that in mind and put personality/temperament first.

I don't think this qualifies at adopting, but I am keeping an eye on Craigslist for adult cats that need rehoming (not kittens that families are selling for $50 because their females accidentally got pregnant...). That is how I got my first cat, Bree. The owner's husband turned out to be allergic, and she was giving away her cat for free. I wasn't really a cat person, and wasn't looking for another pet at the moment (was actually looking for a crate for my dog), but one look at the ad and picture, I was sold!

Turned out to be one of the best choices I've made!

I just know a lot of people will tell you how much time and consideration it takes before adding a second dog to a family, and wasn't sure how much of it applied to cats, being unexperienced as a cat slav- er, owner.

I will also be looking at our local adoption events at Petco!

ETA: I agree that cats may not be as indicative when it comes to first impressions... I'm sure Bree would just try to run away, she's rather shy at first.

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recommend you go to a shelter and let all the masters check you out. One, and possibly more, will pick you. When we got our last master, we all went into a room, one at a time, to see who would jump on our lap. There were about 10 masters in the room, and Charlie was the only one who jumped up onto our lap. All three of us were found to be acceptable and he was the one who came home. He had to have one of his rear legs amputated because of the abuse he suffered in his last home, and we all had to fill out questionairs from the shelter. They must have liked our answers because we were permitted to take him home. We kept him in a room by himself, for a month, so that our other masters could get used to his smell and talking. We would also take him upstairs, by himself, to get to know us. He was accepted by all, and he accepted us.

We still don't know why our oldest master hates one of our other masters, but we have found a system by which we give and get attention to all. We found that masters need other masters around, to have fun and time away from slaves. More than one masters is great fun to have around slaves as well.

I vote YES

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by felton

I recommend you go to a shelter and let all the masters check you out. One, and possibly more, will pick you. When we got our last master, we all went into a room, one at a time, to see who would jump on our lap. There were about 10 masters in the room, and Charlie was the only one who jumped up onto our lap. All three of us were found to be acceptable and he was the one who came home. He had to have one of his rear legs amputated because of the abuse he suffered in his last home, and we all had to fill out questionairs from the shelter. They must have liked our answers because we were permitted to take him home. We kept him in a room by himself, for a month, so that our other masters could get used to his smell and talking. We would also take him upstairs, by himself, to get to know us. He was accepted by all, and he accepted us.

We still don't know why our oldest master hates one of our other masters, but we have found a system by which we give and get attention to all. We found that masters need other masters around, to have fun and time away from slaves. More than one masters is great fun to have around slaves as well.

I vote YES
Felton, you are just too funny!

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can give a cat a loving home so I vote yes too!
It may take time & patience for Bree to accept the new cat though. Ripley reacted badly when we bought Newt home & it took a few weeks for things to settle down. They're not cuddly together but they get along well most of the time, always up to some sort of mischief together.
You never know, they might hit it off straight away!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also vote yes, if you got the time love and money for a second cat then go for it

so much fun watching two kitties playing and they keep each other great company