Getting a new foster today!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheers!! I think she has lost a little weight.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she has stayed the same at her weigh in, so will have to work on her a bit more. She is moving more than when she first came though, and Tom was very up and down for the first few months till we worked out what food and exercise level he needed, so not that down about it - and now the weather is getting nicer, she will move more.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only just seen this thread, I am shocked at the state that poor girl is in, she is just rolls of fat, how could anyone let her get like that?
It's abuse in my book.

I hope that you can get her to gradually lose weight, she will be much happier and healthier when she can run round and groom like a normal cat

I am not sure about food but my gut instinct would be to avoid anything with too much carbohydrate so I'd be inclined to look for high meat content foods unless she has other health issues that would mean limiting protein? I wouldn't take my word for it as I'm no expert though.

Getting her started on gently increasing the amount of exercise she does can only be a good thing though

I am so angry for that poor girl, she didn't get like that overnight, surely the owner and previous vet could see she was getting a bit porky, why didn't they do anything?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is abuse in my book too Epona, I feel so sorry for the poor girl, at least the last overweight cat could keep himself clean, she can't even do that.

Me too, but it is going to take a long time!!

Might have to rethink her food - although just ordered a 3kg bag of light dry food (she only has a small amount a day though, it is just to keep her going overnight) - have tried her on NAtures menu, but she brought it all back up again!! Can't do HiLife as some of it is complimentary, so she would have to have dry with it, which I dont want.

We have been outside again today, and I have encouraged her to walk all the way to the end of the street with me, and she had a fair wander, so hopefully now the weather is nice enough, she will walk round with me (I will get to lose some weight too at this rate) and I have a few unorthodox methods with her!!

she obviously didn't get that big overnight - and this cat was taken for yearly boosters, so either the vet ignored it, or the vet told her owner and got ignored. It is one of the few good things that the new law will bring in, vets will now be able to report them.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I am hoping that too - the last overweight cat was 12, and it hadn't impacted on his organs - but she does look worse. We dont have the funds to blood test every cat in teh rescue though, if I can find £40 for it, I will get it done though.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Nuit was 17 lbs when I got her but not solid like some 17 pounders....all fat no muscle to her. She is now 14 lbs and still a fat girl but she looked just like your calico girl.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we have really struggled with Lucy's weight, so the decision has been made today to put her up for adoption, i have put her on the rehoming page tonight, and she will go on our website when the person who runs that has a chance to do it. Whoever she goes to will be very strictly vetted though. The main problem is she is such a lazy cat, and despite loads of toys, including Da Bird (although we have only had that a week, but not convinced her to play with it for more than a few mins today!!), getting her interested for a decent length of time is very hard, so I think she would be best off with someone who works part time, or doesn't work at all, in the hope that she will then interact more and lose weight. She is now 7.8kg, so she is better than when she came, but she is yo-yoing here, which isn't good. please keep your fingers crossed that we can find her a good home, and she can then become the slim (ish), young cat that she should be.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucy went to a new home this weekend, they have had a slightly overweight cat in the past, so know about diet and exercise and are confident of being able to get weight off her. The lady only works 2 days a week, and they have 2 kids under the age of 6, so Lucy should be able to get more time, and more people to keep her playing. I am keeping in touch to make sure it is working. She only got down to 7.7kg while here, she lost 100g in a month, but had lost interest in Da Bird, and I really struggled to get her to do anything in the last couple of weeks.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update about Lucy.
It sounds like she has gone to a home where she will be loved and very busy.
That should help get the weight off.
I truly hope that it works out for her.
Thank you for caring.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yay for Lucy!!!!!!! that's so great she found a home
those kids should help get the rest of the weight off of her

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope her new home works out for her too, I Felt guilty initially when I put her on the rehoming page, as she was supposed to have been here for however long it took to get the weight off her, but as we were struggling, I thought it was best for her to go somewhere they could give her more time, which is what I have managed to find. House does feel strange without her, but it always does with the long termers who have been fully integrated. I Will be getting regular updates though.
When I get back off my hol, I have 2 oldies lined up, as I no longer have a long termer, one is 11, and one is 16+, so her 'space' wont stay for long, and it gives me the chance to help more needy cats.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAve spoken to Lucy's new owners today, and she has settled in better than they expected, she is fine with both their children, and their eldest has wrote her a note to say how much he loves her, so he is besotted with her!! I am so pleased for her, she has a home where she can have lots of fuss now, as that is what she missed out on here, I only had so much time, and spent the majority of that working on her weight, so I know she will be happy.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad she's doing well! At only 7 years old, she needs to loose that weight so she can live another 15 years!!