Getting a kitten

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't mention this in my last post, so I thought that I'd post again...
It was REALLY nice for me to be able to confine my two monsters in a single room while I wasn't home. I used the bathroom when they were ~5-7 weeks and then moved them into the guest room. I was able to take out all electronics and put away cords, breakables, etc. from the room so that I knew they were "safe" in there while I was away. It also gave me time to kittenproof the rest of the house.

While they were staying in their room, I'd let them come into the rest of the house while I was at home. After about 4 weeks of that they "graduated" to being left out full time.

As to "ginger cats", I've known two recently...my brother had a female red tabby that was/is very people friendly, outgoing, affectionate, and hyper. The other "ginger" I know is one of my two kittens. He is very active (by my standards at least), and only affectionate ocassionaly although he loves to play. So yes, I think it goes more by the cat verses the color/sex.

I have heard that males are more accepting of new cats, which you might want to take into account if you're planning on getting another cat anytime in the near future. That was true with my three males (kittens and an adult) when my sister-in-law's cat (female) came into the house...they ignored her while she hissed and threw a fit. It took her about 1 month longer to "accept" them than the reverse.

Art

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the cat I have now is male, and he loves everything and everyone. He didn't blink an eyelid when he saw a little poodle mix in the house, he just wanted to go play with him. I don't think I'll be getting another pet for another 6 years (when my degree finishes... ridiculous I know) unless I find another place with a more pet-friendly landlord. But I don't like my chances... Though I could always sneak one in...

I think I'm leaning towards a male anyway.

I reeeeeally want a maine coon or a norwegian forest cat... but I just can't justify spending $600 on a cat that's not desexed or anything when there are desexed abandoned kittens in the shelter. Hopefully they'll have a massive little fluffy monster for me. hahahaha

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you looked into breeders in your area? Many times they will have altered males and females that are " retired" and here, (in the us) you can usually get a retired adult for around S100-S200 altered. Sometimes these are even "show cats", but usually "breeders" and are usually around 2-5 years old. So, not bad.

When I have more space, money, and one of my cats passes, I am thinking about getting a retired of one of the breeds I'm looking at... It's great to already know the personality of an adult and not to have to go through all the kitten-work.

Art

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tobi

I reeeeeally want a maine coon or a norwegian forest cat... but I just can't justify spending $600 on a cat that's not desexed or anything
If you go through a registered breeder it will come desexed, vaxed and with a health guarantee

Going back a few posts, I can't send you a PM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that's weird...
but yeah, i've considered that - the getting a retired cat thing. if it was a strictly indoor cat i would consider it. i'm sort of glad i have a month to think it over now... hahaha

well, 3 and a half weeks