Getting a kitten used to her "room"

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy that there have been no more accidents. 

The best way to get her to sleep during the night is to play with her about half an hour before you want to go to bed, get her tired and then feed her her last meal for the day. It will get her used to your rhythms. 

Personally,  I sleep with my door open, one of my cats may sleep at my feet or they will sleep on one of the cat trees nearby.  

Your vet is correct, kittens have to be moved over to other foods gradually, otherwise they can get diarrhea. Treats are given in small amounts so there's no problem giving her just a few. As for what sort, the more natural the better, so try to find something that doesn't have grain or a lot of additives. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

matea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy that there have been no more accidents. 

The best way to get her to sleep during the night is to play with her about half an hour before you want to go to bed, get her tired and then feed her her last meal for the day. It will get her used to your rhythms. 

Personally,  I sleep with my door open, one of my cats may sleep at my feet or they will sleep on one of the cat trees nearby.  

Your vet is correct, kittens have to be moved over to other foods gradually, otherwise they can get diarrhea. Treats are given in small amounts so there's no problem giving her just a few. As for what sort, the more natural the better, so try to find something that doesn't have grain or a lot of additives. 
Thank you. I am beyond relieved myself :)

So far she hasn't been sleeping for long periods of time (she sleeps for half an hr, plays for half an hr and so on) but will try to get her to sleep same time like me. Otherwise, is it good to start getting her used to me "not being there" at night?

Are there any special kitty treats? So far she didn't show much interest in food per se. Besides food in her bowl, she was not intrigued by human food nor her food outside the bowl (when I tried offering it as a reward).

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, it's great to hear that she's litter trained :clap:Guess when she poop outside the box the other day could be just accidental.
She is still a kitten and as kittens, they have lots of energy and they also sleep a lot. One. One moment they are running and climbing, the next moment you see them sleeping.
Also you need to know that cats are crepuscular creatures meaning that there are most active at dawn and dusk. As for sleeping, it's pretty hard to say but some cats like to sleep with the owner and some doesn't like to. And some owner like to sleep with their cats while others don't allow them on the bed. I don't know which category you fall into.
You can either play a lot with him till she tires out before bedtime and proably she'll sleep through or feed her last meal late just before bedtime, BUT, she'll be awake early like 3 or 4 or 5 am. Some cats sleep through but some won't.
My boy sleeps with me on my bed. He usually sleeps around 11pm but occasionally he sleeps at 10pm. But he wakes up around 3+ and ask to open the the door to let him out. At 5am, he'll come into the room and wake me up to feed him. I do get quite a good sleep although I have to wake up twice, once to open door and another to feed him. Occasionally he does not want to sleep in the room but most of the time he'll jump up on the bed and go to his pillow.
So I don't know and you don't n ow how your kitten is going to behave during bedtime. You have to test it out yourself. Some will meow if you lock them outside your room because they know you are inside and they want to be with you. Unless you leave your bedroom door ajar and let her move in and out freely. Since she is still young, it's easier to train her to sleep when you sleep. Though she might meow and meow and want to play while you sleep, you have to just ignore her. She'll get the msg after a few times.
Sometimes my boy wakes me up at 4am for food. I just ell him it's only 4am and it's too early. I'll tell him to eat later and he'll mumble mumble and run out of the room and come back at 5am :lol3:
Food wise, for me best is canned food. She is still a kitten and she needs lots of proteins to grow. And wet food (canned) is better than dry food. You have to feed her at least 4 times a day. Depending of the amount she eats at one go. Example is :- feed xxxx times a day xxx amount of food. If feed xxx times a day xxxx amount of food at one sitting. This you have to experiment and roughly gauge how much and how often your cat eat in a day. Her eating habits will change as she grows and you just adjust accordingly.
Why I said wet food is better is not all cats drink water or they at least they drink minimal amount. My boy is on wet food but I still at around two teaspoonful of water in his food. Some members here feed their cats wet food but put even more water than me. It also depends on your cat whether they like soupy food or not. Wet food is better for their urinary tract. Dry food will cause UTI and also make your cat fat as it is full of carbohydrates.
I do not free feed my boy and I don't give him treats. I only give him all my love, hugs, kisses and attention and I play with him all the time whenever he wants to play.
If your apartment have windows that look out to the streets or trees, make a place for her to get to the window so that she can see the birds and butterflies or people walking on the streets. This will keep her occupied when you are not around. But make sure she can't get out of the apartment through the window cats know how to open doors and push open windows. You can get her a good quality cat tree too. Have places and space for her to run and climb. This way, she'all be a happy kitty and also she gets to excercise.
Feel free to ask more questions and hope I can help answer them if not there are many more experienced cat daddy and mommy around to help you.

Last edited:

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I am beyond relieved myself

So far she hasn't been sleeping for long periods of time (she sleeps for half an hr, plays for half an hr and so on) but will try to get her to sleep same time like me. Otherwise, is it good to start getting her used to me "not being there" at night?

Are there any special kitty treats? So far she didn't show much interest in food per se. Besides food in her bowl, she was not intrigued by human food nor her food outside the bowl (when I tried offering it as a reward).
Another article!  
 This one is on giving treats to your kitty.  The most important thing to remember is that if you give treats you need to give your kitty a little less food when meal time comes around. 

matea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it's great to hear that she's litter trained :clap:Guess when she poop outside the box the other day could be just accidental.
She is still a kitten and as kittens, they have lots of energy and they also sleep a lot. One. One moment they are running and climbing, the next moment you see them sleeping.
Also you need to know that cats are crepuscular creatures meaning that there are most active at dawn and dusk. As for sleeping, it's pretty hard to say but some cats like to sleep with the owner and some doesn't like to. And some owner like to sleep with their cats while others don't allow them on the bed. I don't know which category you fall into.
You can either play a lot with him till she tires out before bedtime and proably she'll sleep through or feed her last meal late just before bedtime, BUT, she'll be awake early like 3 or 4 or 5 am. Some cats sleep through but some won't.
My boy sleeps with me on my bed. He usually sleeps around 11pm but occasionally he sleeps at 10pm. But he wakes up around 3+ and ask to open the the door to let him out. At 5am, he'll come into the room and wake me up to feed him. I do get quite a good sleep although I have to wake up twice, once to open door and another to feed him. Occasionally he does not want to sleep in the room but most of the time he'll jump up on the bed and go to his pillow.
So I don't know and you don't n ow how your kitten is going to behave during bedtime. You have to test it out yourself. Some will meow if you lock them outside your room because they know you are inside and they want to be with you. Unless you leave your bedroom door ajar and let her move in and out freely. Since she is still young, it's easier to train her to sleep when you sleep. Though she might meow and meow and want to play while you sleep, you have to just ignore her. She'll get the msg after a few times.
Sometimes my boy wakes me up at 4am for food. I just ell him it's only 4am and it's too early. I'll tell him to eat later and he'll mumble mumble and run out of the room and come back at 5am :lol3:
Food wise, for me best is canned food. She is still a kitten and she needs lots of proteins to grow. And wet food (canned) is better than dry food. You have to feed her at least 4 times a day. Depending of the amount she eats at one go. Example is :- feed xxxx times a day xxx amount of food. If feed xxx times a day xxxx amount of food at one sitting. This you have to experiment and roughly gauge how much and how often your cat eat in a day. Her eating habits will change as she grows and you just adjust accordingly.
Why I said wet food is better is not all cats drink water or they at least they drink minimal amount. My boy is on wet food but I still at around two teaspoonful of water in his food. Some members here feed their cats wet food but put even more water than me. It also depends on your cat whether they like soupy food or not. Wet food is better for their urinary tract. Dry food will cause UTI and also make your cat fat as it is full of carbohydrates.
I do not free feed my boy and I don't give him treats. I only give him all my love, hugs, kisses and attention and I play with him all the time whenever he wants to play.
If your apartment have windows that look out to the streets or trees, make a place for her to get to the window so that she can see the birds and butterflies or people walking on the streets. This will keep her occupied when you are not around. But make sure she can't get out of the apartment through the window cats know how to open doors and push open windows. You can get her a good quality cat tree too. Have places and space for her to run and climb. This way, she'all be a happy kitty and also she gets to excercise.
Feel free to ask more questions and hope I can help answer them if not there are many more experienced cat daddy and mommy around to help you.
Hello. I am feeding my kitten dry food now because that's what she was eating at the place I got her from. I made sure it's high quality food.

However, I don't ration her food. I've been putting a small amount in her tray and she's been eating gradually whenever she's hungry. She had access to food all day the place she was before so I think she got used to that. I pour the daily ration it and she comes in and out for some. Sometimes there is some left at the end of the day and sometimes not.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok, just make sure she has fresh water every time and make sure she drinks.
If you need to change her food or let her try wet food, do it gradually.
Enjoy your kitty and do post more of her photos ;)

matea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, just make sure she has fresh water every time and make sure she drinks.
If you need to change her food or let her try wet food, do it gradually.
Enjoy your kitty and do post more of her photos ;)
Yes, she is drinking water :)

Here you go: 650 grams of happiness during morning cuddles

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad your baby is litter trained now. If your apartment is fairly large though you may want to add another litter box to your space.  Even though the kitten knows where her litter box is having an extra box will make it less likely for future accidents.  Kitten's don't always realize they have to go to the bathroom in time to make it to the litter box if it is on the opposite side of a large space.

I adopted my now 10 year old Starbuck when she was a 6 week old baby kitten. Once she was big enough to safely navigate my town house I had a litter box on each level to make things easier for her.  She never had any accidents but did use all the litter boxes. I had to keep Starbuck in her own room when we were not home because she was too small to get up and down my stairs by herself.  She used to scream her little head off at night too.  I was lucky because I have other cats.  She bonded to my other cats.  One of my adult cats made the decision to stay with her at night in her room instead of sleeping with us at night.  Once she had company the screaming stopped. If it is possible for you to do so it may be a good idea to get another kitten around the same age for her to hang out with while you are at work. When we adopted Starbuck she would climb on our shoulder to go downstairs to hang out in the living room with us.  

Starbuck did sleep with us at night once she was big enough to navigate the stairs safely.  She did wake us up sometimes but as she got older that stopped and she started to sleep through the night.  Your baby is a little bit older so the play and feed routine before bed may be enough to get her to sleep through the night.  If you do allow her to sleep in your bed room she will adjust to your sleep schedule.  It is possible it would take a little bit of time but as she gets older she will sleep through the night. I did do play time with Starbuck before I went to bed.  Our play sessions tended to be a little longer and I would wear her out until she walked out of the room to go eat.  After she ate she would come to bed on her own. 

matea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad your baby is litter trained now. If your apartment is fairly large though you may want to add another litter box to your space.  Even though the kitten knows where her litter box is having an extra box will make it less likely for future accidents.  Kitten's don't always realize they have to go to the bathroom in time to make it to the litter box if it is on the opposite side of a large space.

I adopted my now 10 year old Starbuck when she was a 6 week old baby kitten. Once she was big enough to safely navigate my town house I had a litter box on each level to make things easier for her.  She never had any accidents but did use all the litter boxes. I had to keep Starbuck in her own room when we were not home because she was too small to get up and down my stairs by herself.  She used to scream her little head off at night too.  I was lucky because I have other cats.  She bonded to my other cats.  One of my adult cats made the decision to stay with her at night in her room instead of sleeping with us at night.  Once she had company the screaming stopped. If it is possible for you to do so it may be a good idea to get another kitten around the same age for her to hang out with while you are at work. When we adopted Starbuck she would climb on our shoulder to go downstairs to hang out in the living room with us.  

Starbuck did sleep with us at night once she was big enough to navigate the stairs safely.  She did wake us up sometimes but as she got older that stopped and she started to sleep through the night.  Your baby is a little bit older so the play and feed routine before bed may be enough to get her to sleep through the night.  If you do allow her to sleep in your bed room she will adjust to your sleep schedule.  It is possible it would take a little bit of time but as she gets older she will sleep through the night. I did do play time with Starbuck before I went to bed.  Our play sessions tended to be a little longer and I would wear her out until she walked out of the room to go eat.  After she ate she would come to bed on her own. 
My response comes a bit late :) Thank you so much for the advice. Since it's been some time since I posted my kitty seems to have adjusted fully. I don't close her in her room anymore (she really hates being left out when I'm around). She's made the living room her new home and seems very uninterested in the bedroom and other areas of the apartment unless I'm there :)