Getting a kitten in an apartment.. How can I prepare, what should I know?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cgibsong002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Again, thanks for the continued help. I'm not sure if I mentioned, but as far as travel, it'd only be once a month max. And I will not get cats/kitten unless I find a friend nearby that could watch them. I definitely won't get them otherwise, it just wouldn't make sense. I think I know someone who will be living in my same building who I'll be able to ask. So hopefully this pans out as it'd be perfect.

The couch.. well I already have it, lol. It's just a cheap faux leather one from Ashley, so even if it gets scratched, oh well. My girlfriend doesn't like it anyway, haha.

And I did read all of your links. I think a beta seems like what's right for me. I want playful, social, and energetic.. but will also chill out and be able to relax on his own when I need space. I think that was beta that fit best. 

Anyway, I think ultimately I'll make the decision on sight. I do understand kittens will be more work but I'm not doing this simply to take the easy way out. I think it would be fun to raise them from kittens. I remember when I was younger we got a 3 month old from a farm. He definitely was some work.. and I was often scared to death as he'd attack me out of nowhere. But he was also one of my favorite pets I had. So yeah, I think I'll just end up getting what I fall in love with. Hopefully I can get a sitter situation straightened out first, and then I can start looking. 

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awesome!! You'll be making a great pet parent!

I like Betas too (well, I like all cats, but Beta is my most bestest match!) - my boy is a definite Alpha (hence all the reference to work and wisdom), but my girl is the sweetest Beta with the energy of an Alpha - a perfect friendship for each other :)

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was in your same position earlier this year, so I'll give you what I've learned from the experience.  I think I had an unusually easy time of it, as mine was an angel practically from day 1 (or maybe he just seems that way after all the worst-case scenarios I have read :) ), but I have a few little pieces of advice I can share.

If you're getting a kitten- Be sure it is the right age.  Just check the behavior forum for all the threads about too-young, undersocialized kittens biting, scratching, not using the litterbox etc.  Hunter was between 11 and 12 weeks when I got him, which is a little on the young side, but there was a tremendous difference.  While he did nip, he knew not to bite down and it was a pretty easy habit to break him of just by saying no and withdrawing attention.  That said, keep in mind different kittens develop at different rates.  Hunter didn't really start climbing until he was around 5 or 6 months old and as a young kitten, he was pretty clumsy.  If something seems amiss, it;s always best to do a vet check to rule out a health issue, but sometimes it's just kittens being individuals.

One thing I would recommend is going through a foster family.  Hunter came from a breeder, but he was raised in a busy household, with kids, other cats and dogs.  He's an only cat here, but from the day we got him he was pretty social.  From the moment he arrived, he wanted either me or my mom (who came down to help me settle him in) in his safe room at all times, even though he was still a bit frightened of us.  Within six hours or so, he was climbing in our laps and soliciting attention.  He continued to startle at strangers for a few months and I thought he might be shy, but he seems to have outgrown that as he now comes out to greet visitors no problem.  I didn't do anything in particular, just had my guests give him quiet polite attention when he wanted it and leave him alone when he didn't.  A kitten whose never been outside a cage may be a bit more skittish and while that certainly can be overcome with time and patience, a kitten who was well socialized from the start will be a lot less work for you.

Even amongst young kittens, there is a range of energy levels and you'll probably want to avoid the more energetic ones.  Talk to the foster family, who should be able to recommend a pair that are relatively easy to care for.

Also, be sure to practice daily routines, like nail trimming, grooming, teeth brushing, etc.  If you can, I'd also try to get him accustomed to closed doors, as at some point you may need to create "off-limit" areas when you're living somewhere larger.  You don't have a lot of space, but you could always use the bathroom so long as he still has access to a litter box.  This may be a bit controversial, as some people are against closing cats out of anywhere, but it was definitely a lot easier to teach Hunter as a kitten that yowling does not open doors and now he understands that the door stays closed until I open it and if he makes a fuss, I won't come out until he's quiet and calm.  It doesn't sound essential at the moment, but someday you may need to make off-limits areas and when he's young, it's a good idea to have an area he can't access where you can store potential safety hazards.

If you're getting an adult- Visit with the cat(s) and ask lots of questions.  Be aware that if the cat is currently living in a shelter, he/she may behave differently than he/she will in your home, as it's a very different environment.  See if there's any information from the previous owner.  Be sure to ask about any health or behavioral concerns the cat may have and be wary if the shelter claims all their cats are suitable for you.  There are undoubtedly many cats who will do fine in your environment, but there are also plenty who need an experienced adopter and it's a good sign if the shelter can and will help point you in the right direction.  There should be a range of personalities and the volunteer helping you should be able to describe each cat to you.  Mistakes may still be made, of course, but dealing with knowledgeable people who want to help you will give you the best shot.

On cat furniture- You definitely want it as otherwise your furniture WILL be scratched.  Try "the world's best scratching post".  I was pretty impressed with how nice they looked.  And, honestly, the apartment feels more homey having some clutter around.  I lived on my own for two years before getting a kitten and my nice furniture got old fast.  Sure, my apartment looked like something out of a catalog, but it didn't look like somewhere people lived.  Trust me, you'll be happy to have some things that look less than perfect.

Just general tips- If I were you, I would live on your own for a little while before getting your cat(s).  You sound like you'll be a great pet parent, but you'll probably hit a few pitfalls in your first few months.  It's easy to overlook just how many everyday chores you normally split with your family/roommates until you suddenly it's all on you.  It does get much easier as time goes on, but at first I know I was a little taken aback by just how much longer everything took when it was just me.  If in a few months you still want a cat or two, go for it!  It definitely gets spooky living alone and pets make nice company.  But just make sure you're okay first.  It may take you that long to find the right cat anyway so you can certainly start looking around.  :)

One other thing I have to ask is do you have a car or cat-friendly mode of public transportation?  You will have vet visits and walking with the cat is a bad option in most areas.  Certainly not an insurmountable barrier, just something to think about.

EDIT: Just for context, I do have a car and have had to drive Hunter to the emergency room once after a new food disagreed with him.  He's about eight months now and has no major health or behavior issues and is a typical happy, confident cat.  He is not allowed to sleep with me, as I found he was just getting confused when I tried to teach him appropriate night time behavior and I decided it was best to have one consistent set of rules.  He also occasionally gets shut out of the bedroom when I am assembling something with a lot of small pieces he could swallow.  He would likely do better sleeping with me now that he's a bit older, but we already have a well established routine so I'm not going to rock the boat.

Also, my apartment is a one bedroom and a bit bigger than yours (~900 sq feet) but you should be fine in a smaller space, as Hunter tends to hang out in a few favorite areas rather than using all the available territory.

Last edited: