Getting a cat to sleep on the bed

sararocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my Freyja for about 3 months now, and I cannot get her to sit up on the bed or on any furniture with us. I think in one of her former homes, she wasn't allowed on the furniture (weird, right?). I end up sitting or falling asleep on the floor with her because she wants company, but it's starting to get out of hand. I can't even sit on the couch to eat without her meowing at me the whole time.

We have tried putting her on something and then giving her a treat, but she just eats the treat and then runs off. Any other ideas?

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to use interactive toys to get my cat to jump up on hte bed or couch (he was a feral when we got him , and timid, so I wanted him to know it was OK to come up on the bed or couch with us.  After a while he'd chase the toy up on the couch or bed and would even start sleeping there sometimes. Also lots of treats. Always fuss over your kitty to show that it's Ok to be there.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats won't sleep on the bed with my boyfriend & I.

Sometimes they'll sleep with me on the couch, but that really hasn't happened very much at all since it has gotten hot.

Too hot to cuddle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sararocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all! I am trying to get her to chase her toys onto the sofa, but little brother Rory is just to fast for her! I have been putting towels and newspaper (she LOVES newspaper!) on the furniture to entice Freyja to stay, and that seems to working a little. I guess it will just take some time....