Get OFF my counters!!!!!!!!!!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Mine are that way too! A cluttered counter means more free toys. If it completely cleared there's nothing to bat, knock over, destroy, eat, etc...so it's boring.
With LDG, I completely agree. On the other hand, when I use the counter to cook or whatever, if any cat is interested in what I am doing, there's a table nearby where they can watch.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats eat off the counters, since there are dogs in the house & they are free fed. I'm no help.

However - I'd like to add in - many are adverse to a squirt bottle as no matter how careful you are, you can spray in their ear & damage their ear drum. I've seen a cat with a balance issue/deafness in one ear due to being accidentally squirted in the ear with a squirt bottle. So be careful if you do decide to use one.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My cats eat off the counters, since there are dogs in the house & they are free fed. I'm no help.

However - I'd like to add in -
another warning about using tape on the counter. I had a semi-feral girl get caught up in that tape one time. It got so tangled around her that she became terrified and crawled under the water bed where we couldn't get at her to get the tape off of her. If you are going to use tape, get the double sticky kind and make sure it is really attached to the counter top. The last thing you want to do is pull rolls of tape off of a cat. (at least your boys are not feral)

And if you give them an alternative to the counter in that room, it does help a lot. My kitchen cat tree is a couple inches taller than the counter, and by a window where they can look out and watch me cook.

And
to what Nat said.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

another warning about using tape on the counter. I had a semi-feral girl get caught up in that tape one time. It got so tangled around her that she became terrified and crawled under the water bed where we couldn't get at her to get the tape off of her. If you are going to use tape, get the double sticky kind and make sure it is really attached to the counter top. The last thing you want to do is pull rolls of tape off of a cat.
Poor kitty. How long, after you got the tape off, did it take for her to calm down and settle into things again?

Another problem with tape. Some cats are very fascinated with it. I have two tape eaters. One has been known to strip tape off of boxes, even a couple of Christmas gifts. The other will hunt for tape if he hears it crinkling, he's dug it out of the trash before. He'll also try to steal it from me while I'm using it. Thankfully my paranoia has kept both of them from actually ingesting any tape.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are allowed on the counters except when I'm preparing food, they know if I'm standing at the counter not to come up.
I just wipe them down before use, because they'll go up when your not around anyway.

I would never use a spray bottle, as Nat mentioned water in the ears can cause infection and cats move so fast you can easily miss and get the ears.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely understand the concerns behind the squirt bottle, and am glad people have voiced them so that others can make their own judgement call as to whether they are comfortable using them or not. I'm not going to get into that debate tho, but will say that I have used them and if I could do so safely with these 2 lil boogers, then I would.... but I can't so tis not an option in my current issue.

Tape: thx for the warning..... Tape is a way to catch escaped snakes as well, but it is dangerous too. Again, the info is appreciated.

Counter alternatives: They have one..... a freezer right next to the counter so they can bask in the sun, or look outside. When Brandy was alive, Kizzy was fed on that freezer and we don't mind the kitties on the freezer. Easiest way to explain my kitchen is via a pic:

Right where the counter meets the freezer, I keep the squirt bottle and scratch deterrant spray. (that keeps Kizzy from getting on the counter.... he doesn't jump up, but has tried to wander from freezer to counter.... however just keeping the bottles there keeps him off the counter)

They seem to jump up by the sink area or the one end of the counter where our scrap bucket, recycles and asst. things are kept. The scrap bucket has a lid, and is taken out once a day to be dumped in compost. The recycles are taken out as well.... although I've been getting my daughter to do it 2x/day instead of her normal "at chore time" since I caught the kitties with a sharp tin tuna lid on the floor and got worried bout them cutting their tongues.

For the most part, the dirty dishes are put in the dishwasher....but at times they are on the counter (ones that can't go in the washer). Having a pristine counter is not an option for our family.

All I can say, is the kitties on the counters NEEDS to stop. It is NOT acceptable in my home, and if it continues, my husband will be quite upset (not an animal lover at all, and cats with litter box feet on counters/table does not sit well with him, nor does it sit well with me).

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions.... I was going to try the tinfoil last night but don't have enough.... so if I can make it to the store today, I'll try the tinfoil and cookie sheets.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to the Scat spray and also a very loud Scraminal alarm. My cats have not jumped on my counters in years. I recently got out the spray to discourage my Beeba from eating my ARTIFICIAL plants. lol. Also to keep him off the fireplace mantle. It actually works 7 or so feet away. I know, it got me once!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had problems with this about a year ago. After several different attempts at trying to discourage this behavior DH came up with a plan.

We bought a floor mat for desk chairs. The kind that have pointy things on the bottom that you lay on the carpet. We than cut them to fit the counters and flipped them pointy side up.

The cats would jump on the counters land on the pointy things and jump right back off. It took a few weeks to break the boys from counter surfing but now we don't even use them anymore.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't get on the counters but Riley will not stay off my dresser in the bedroom if I don't have something to deter him. Aluminum foil didn't work. He just thought it was great fun to dance around on it and make the crinkly noise when mommy was sleeping

Now my dresser has a permanent layer of plastic wrap with double sided sticky tape on top of it. Several times I've taken it down and it only takes him about a week to figure out its gone and get back up there

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Mine are allowed on the counters except when I'm preparing food, they know if I'm standing at the counter not to come up.
I just wipe them down before use, because they'll go up when your not around anyway.

I would never use a spray bottle, as Nat mentioned water in the ears can cause infection and cats move so fast you can easily miss and get the ears.
Same here. He's part of the family. He's trained the same - no getting up when mom is preparing food, and he doesn't get on the table when we have food there. I clean the counters before cooking anyway and wash my hands a dozen times at least while preparing food so it's no big deal for us.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Same here, and if they do go on i spray or wipe with antibacterial wipes afterwards
Saves a lot of stress that way.

You have to clean them anyway because when you are not home or asleep, a cat will do what he wants to do, so you are just going to do the same thing everytime you use your counters to prep food with stress or without it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Too bad the freezer isn't about 6 inches taller. Cats tend to gravitate towards the highest point in a room (where they can look down upon their "minions"). How often do you go into that freezer, and can you put some type of largish platform (not necessarily tall but wide) that will attract them to that spot?

I like the idea of the mats with a pointy side poking into their feet if they try to walk across it. Sort of like a cattle guard.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

All I can say, is the kitties on the counters NEEDS to stop. It is NOT acceptable in my home, and if it continues, my husband will be quite upset (not an animal lover at all, and cats with litter box feet on counters/table does not sit well with him, nor does it sit well with me).
Is it a little difficult on him? Lots of reptiles and cats? My FIL is not fond of animals (though he doesn't hate them) and always gets this look on his face when visiting my home. Like he wishes he could toss all of my cats out of his way and outside.

I hope you can find an alternative that works well for you - and that you don't get overly frustrated at your kitties in the process or go crazy.
Maybe the pointy mats will work for you. My Tomas cat walks right over them... He also loves the sound of foil and tries to eat that - he's a brat.

Tomas would love your cabinets, btw. He'd have figured out how to go from counter to fridge to top of the cabinets in moments. Then waited up there to scare the living daylights out of me. Heck, with type of counters you have - any cat or cook would love them, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

How often do you go into that freezer, and can you put some type of largish platform (not necessarily tall but wide) that will attract them to that spot?
Fairly often..... but I might be able to swing something.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Is it a little difficult on him? Lots of reptiles and cats? My FIL is not fond of animals (though he doesn't hate them) and always gets this look on his face when visiting my home. Like he wishes he could toss all of my cats out of his way and outside.

I hope you can find an alternative that works well for you - and that you don't get overly frustrated at your kitties in the process or go crazy.
Maybe the pointy mats will work for you. My Tomas cat walks right over them... He also loves the sound of foil and tries to eat that - he's a brat.

Tomas would love your cabinets, btw. He'd have figured out how to go from counter to fridge to top of the cabinets in moments. Then waited up there to scare the living daylights out of me. Heck, with type of counters you have - any cat or cook would love them, too.
He tolerates them
Kinda like how he tolerates me on my "moody" days LOL.
He's actually pretty good for a non-animal lover....(helps feed/clean the snakes since my hand/arms issues, etc.) I wouldn't say he hates them by any means.... just it would be no issue with him if we had no pets and there's certain aspects that he does not like (kitties on counters for one, and I agree with him on that one too.. its weird, these lil ones are the first kitties I've had that want to be up on the counter. ).

I've gotten lots of suggestions here to try.... with any luck, one of em will work

Thanks everyone