Get new cats or not?

margo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 20 year old cat (male) died last week.
I have 2 females - 4 & 6 years. They tolerate each other fine.
Should I get two males (litter mates, maybe?) or just leave well enough alone?
My two girls are indoor cats with plenty of space. The old saying "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" ...makes me wonder about fighting, inappropriate peeing, etc. even if I introduce properly.
Also, the old cat who died of kidney disease had urinated all over my carpet...will professional steam cleaning get rid of odor before I get the 2 new males? Thanks.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would leave it alone for now just because a death is a big stressor for cats as is also a new arrival. Don't want to make your resident cats sick from stress.

When some time has gone by only get new cats if you have somewhere they can live before you do proper introductions.

Also, to clean the carpets you will need to make sure they use an enzymatic or "biological" cleaner. Even if you cannot smell it, cats can and you could have issues with them weeing. Only an enzymatic cleaner gets cat pee out completely.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is padding under your carpet, there will be smell there too. If it went through to the wood, that is another issue too.

I had a cat that did that, so I ripped out the rug and padding. Luckily there was roofing paper between the pad and the wood floor. Nothing went through. I would never have wall to wall again with animals. Luckily, no more problems.

I honestly think that wetting the rug and pad below might make things smell worse. Is it possible to just ditch the rug and start with a clean slate?

Good luck.