German Dessert Ideas

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We are going to Rick's sister and BIL's place for dinner next Sunday (March 6). The dinner is kind of German with our homemade sauerkraut, apples, and onions and a nice pork loin roast. My mission is to make some kind of dessert to match our German-type dinner. No Black Forest Cherry Cake. Something that's fairly easy.....I'm not dealing with trying to roll out dough for Apple Strudel. Something fairly make-ahead, so I'm not trying to finish it up at the last minute. 

Any ideas?

narelle

Lover of Cats and Catfish
Young Cat
Purraise
Germans make lots of simple fruit cakes (Obstkuchen). Plain cake base with fruit arranged and laid out on top, then a simple glaze. That would be easy to make and could be prepared ahead of time.

Hm. My family is German so I grew up with a lot of German foods, but most of them are either seasonal or very involved. Mohnkuchen is poppyseed cake, but we always bought those, never made them. They're probably involved. Good traditional mohnkuchen is hard to find. I really like plum cake, and its super easy, but the plums are out of season. (You need italian plums for it.)

I don't know, I think of German sweets and I get thinking about lebkuchen and all of the tasty Christmas cookies and sweets. ^^;; Probably not quite what you're looking for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I saw a recipe for poppyseed cake and was tempted to try it. I have thought of a Bee Sting Cake. Mostly when I think of something German, I think of Black Forest Cherry Cake (I'm not fond of cherries, although I'll eat them if I have to) and cookies. Stollen. Certain kinds of bread. 

I don't want to do German chocolate. Don't know that I want to use apples because there will be apples in the main dish. 

Thank you.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want something simple try Weincreme or Herrencreme. They are based on  a simple custard but can be decorated to make them look more sophisticated. I live in Germany and these are firm favourites with the local community for family festivities. If you have difficulty finding recipes I will translate some for you - but I've no time right now. Perhaps later this evening (German time) when I've done my chores and fed my foster cats.I have never made them myself - simply because people expect lemon meringue pie, trifle or even Christmas pudding when they visit me!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops...was going to suggest German choc. cake with coconut pecan frosting...

What about a kuchen? like a peach one.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas!

I've been leaning toward a peach kuchen. I might try apple strudel if I could use puff pastry instead of having to roll that dough out. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going to Rick's sister and BIL's place for dinner next Sunday (March 6). The dinner is kind of German with our homemade sauerkraut, apples, and onions and a nice pork loin roast. My mission is to make some kind of dessert to match our German-type dinner. No Black Forest Cherry Cake. Something that's fairly easy.....I'm not dealing with trying to roll out dough for Apple Strudel. Something fairly make-ahead, so I'm not trying to finish it up at the last minute. 

Any ideas?
Have you Googled? Look at that. It's been turned into a verb.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I Googled and also searched through allrecipes.com and Pinterest. It has to trip my trigger, so to speak, make me stop and say, "Hmmm, I think I could do that!" Am also checking through the cookbooks.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Wondering why you decided upon??

Whatever it is, I am sure it will be delicious!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Nothing yet! 

My order came in from King Arthur: the fluted cupcake pan, lemon juice powder, lemon wafers, and pumpernickel flour. One of my baking things this weekend will be lemon cupcakes in the new pan....the recipe is from King Arthur. Once the cupcakes come out of the pan and go on the cooling rack, you put a lemon wafer over the top of the cupcake and let it melt down a bit. I saw the recipe and thought it was interesting, so I want to make those this weekend. Rick's mother called and said she was hungry for "something lemon" so they would probably work for her. 

I found a recipe for an apple strudel made with puff pastry and am leaning toward that. But I don't have a very good track record with puff pastry. Sometimes it will work beautifully for me; other times, I get so frustrated with the stuff, I want to throw the whole package into the trash!

Truthfully? This isn't German by a long shot, but I'm thinking about just throwing together a pineapple upside down layer cake with a crushed pineapple filling between the two layers. The top layer would have the brown sugar, pineapple, and cherry topping. But I doubt that would go well with a sauerkraut-based entree.

I just don't know what to do!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Nothing yet! 

My order came in from King Arthur: the fluted cupcake pan, lemon juice powder, lemon wafers, and pumpernickel flour. One of my baking things this weekend will be lemon cupcakes in the new pan....the recipe is from King Arthur. Once the cupcakes come out of the pan and go on the cooling rack, you put a lemon wafer over the top of the cupcake and let it melt down a bit. I saw the recipe and thought it was interesting, so I want to make those this weekend. Rick's mother called and said she was hungry for "something lemon" so they would probably work for her. 

I found a recipe for an apple strudel made with puff pastry and am leaning toward that. But I don't have a very good track record with puff pastry. Sometimes it will work beautifully for me; other times, I get so frustrated with the stuff, I want to throw the whole package into the trash!

Truthfully? This isn't German by a long shot, but I'm thinking about just throwing together a pineapple upside down layer cake with a crushed pineapple filling between the two layers. The top layer would have the brown sugar, pineapple, and cherry topping. But I doubt that would go well with a sauerkraut-based entree.

I just don't know what to do!
How about these Windbeutel (cream puffs)? 

http://www.bavariankitchen.com/desserts/windbeutel.aspx

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
You know, that would work....if the weather holds and it doesn't rain. I'm an expert cream puff maker, so I could easily do something like that.

I'll have to check this out more. Thanks!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You know, that would work....if the weather holds and it doesn't rain. I'm an expert cream puff maker, so I could easily do something like that.

I'll have to check this out more. Thanks!
Anytime!!  If you felt adventurous, you could separate the cream into smaller batches and make some with the vanilla cream, some with chocolate or lemon (maybe some cream and a little lemon curd? 
, coffee, caramel (some vanilla cream and a little caramel ice cream topping? 

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I make Linzer bars quite often... I'm pretty sure those are German? I have a pretty easy recipe for them, it's almost like a sugar cookie recipe, with raspberry preserves and then strips of sugar cookie dough on top. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Our dinner has been postponed. Now we are looking at March 13th. My BIL has to go out of town that day for his job and he's worried about time constraints. He asked us if we could do it the following week and that was fine with us.