Geriatric cats

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago with one of my 10 year old cats, Lion, that might provide you with another option to explore. 

Your poor kitty has had some pretty stressful experiences with her earlier injuries.  It may be that something is happening to her now because of those injuries.  When she was vomiting did the vet take any x-rays? 

The reason I ask is that Lion started vomiting as well, so badly that he wasn't able to keep anything down.  I took him to the vets who thought it might be a hairball that had moved into the intestines so was slowing down the processing of his digestive system.  We gave him lactullos and laxanip to try and get the hairball/stool to move. Lion has suffered from constipation before, and one of the symptoms of severe constipation is vomiting - there is nowhere else for the food to go except back up the route it came. 

A day later he stopped vomiting but also stopped trying to eat and became extremely lethargic. Another trip to the vets, and this time she took x-rays.  His colon was completely full - no room for anything else!  She gave him an enema and nothing happened.  She gave him another and the colon began to empty.  It took several hours.  He came home on an appetite stimulant, an anti-nausea drug and metronidizole.  He ate and kept it down, but he was still very uncomfortable around his tail and rear end, more so than just from having the enema.  We had noticed on the xrays the year before when he was constipated that he had arthritis in his spine along with several processes that had 'cracked' due to the arthritis.  I asked the vet to check his spine in these new xrays and yes, it appeared that the arthritis had got worse.  Because of this, the vet determined that his full colon put pressure on the nerves that came out of the spinal cord around his hips and tail so that it hurt too much for him to have a bowel movement - and he didn't.  He held it in, thus becoming constipated, which then led to the vomiting. 

The vet felt that a pain killer might be useful, and while there is a lot of controversy with the use of metacam (an NSAID), we felt that it was a worthwhile risk because he appeared to be in such pain and was definitely not a happy animal.  Lion is a 16 1/2 lb Maine Coon so she started him on a small dose of .14 ml for 2 days then .07 ml 3 times a week afterwards.  The side effects (kidney damage) have been noticed at higher dosages so she hoped that these lower dosages would be enough to help the pain but not trigger the negative kidney responses cats have to NSAIDs. Well, within a day Lion was back to his old self.  I can't believe the difference and realize that he must have been in pain with the arthritis  for a while as he is now much more active and playful and runs around again like he used to do. His 'old 'personality has returned rather than the quieter, withdrawn one he had become.  Fortunately, he seems to be handling the Metacam well, although we are checking kidney function on a regular basis.  He is also receiving a stool softener - 1/8th tsp of miralax mixed into his food once a day so he isn't getting constipated and is having regular bowel movements.  He also hasn't vomited since.

The reason for my story is to suggest that perhaps due to her prior injuries your cat has pain issues in her spine, possibly arthritis, that are affecting her digestive system. If she is getting constipated and not having regular bowel movements because it hurts for her to go, then she could be vomiting because the colon is full and stool isn't moving through as regularly as it should.

Of course, it may not be what is causing her vomiting, but it is something to consider as a possibility and investigate.  I would not be at all surprised if she doesn't have some sort of arthritis issues due to her earlier injuries.

Good luck!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kathryn
  Oh yes, Hoot has been Xrayed several times.  No blockages, constipation etc.  I'm not a real patient pet parent and usually demand ALL the tests right away.  I've had the same vet for so long he knows how thorough I am so he will always ask me if I want this, this and this.... of course I want it all.  So far the probiotics seem to be helping Hoot.  She's trying to climb on the keyboard as I type

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok
then,  I just thought I would suggest it as another possible option to explore.  I hope you find out what the problem is soon.

dianeandbooboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BooBoo is only 12 years old but she has osteoarthritis so she is on GLC 1000 and I also take her for laser therapy to help with pain.  It is very similar to acupuncture.  I have rearranged some of the furniture so there are levels for her to get up into her favorite places.  I am planning on getting pet stairs for the bed and couch when the time comes but for now she will climb right up the front of cat post to sit at the top and look out the window.

Along with a senior panel being done every 6 months I have her thyroid checked and her blood pressure.  She is fed a completely raw diet and she gets raw goats milk along with powder enzymes and probiotics.  She really loves sweet potatoes so maybe once a month she will get a few tablespoons for a few days.  I only feed organic sweet potatoes from a holistic pet store.  Even though raw has plenty of moisture I add in Penta bottled water.  I don't think she has had tap water in years.  I am terrified of the water we drink.  Her dishes are stainless so they do not leach toxins into her food and is store her food in little glass dishes with lids that are BPA free.  I try to think of everything that can harm her.  I only damp mop my floors and I don't use anything with fragrances.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 1 geriatric cat still living and 2 that have passed along with 4 seniors and 2 adults.

Kuce is my current living geriatric at 19 years and other than a few age related health problems she is doing well. She has arthritis (had it since we adopted her at 9 years old), she is going blind (has cataracts in both eyes), possibly going deaf and moews on some occasions very loudly, somewhat clingly, loss of muscle tone but not weight, can't groom as well and is in early Renal Failure (2 of 3 panels).

On the flip side she does pretty well on grooming most of herself, her weight is staying pretty steady (give or take a few ounces), moves well enough (she needs steps to get on/off things), plays, eats and drinks well, and is very alert. Other than her kidney functions being poor - everything else on her BW panels are excellent.

My other 2 geriatric cats have passed on. 1 was a foster who was left behind when his owners moved. His name was Dancing Bear and was 17 when he passed from complications of Diabetes. All of his other BW came back fine and was alert to the very end. The other was Kuce's partner Sphinx. He was adopted at 16 yrs and passed away at 18 yrs from Liver Lymphoma. He was also alert to the very end. Sphinx had so many issues - arthritis, IBD, a grade 3 heart murmur, a stomach ulcer and cancer.

My next closest cat in age is Luvbug and he's only 12 senior we have had since he was 4 yrs old and heave noticed the most changes as he aged, especially with his facial features and getting grey hairs in his otherwise shiny black coat and a few grey whiskers instead of black.

bigfoot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is twenty-years-old. He can run, jump up on furniture, and plays with his toy that has catnip. He was diagnosed with a heart murmur three years ago. His blood pressure was elevated, therefore he's on medication to prevent a stroke. He also showed low pottasium, therefore he takes tablets three times daily. His doctor recommended giving him Nutri-Cal. He is feeling good right now. We feed him a variety of commercial cat food. His kidneys are functioning well for his age.