George Foreman Grills, anyone have one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Another thing I don't like about mine is that because of the hinge mechanism you can't put the same thickness of meat at the back of the grill as you do the front because you can't close the lid. Not sure if that was ever changed with the newer ones or not.
The one I have, different than yours, has "floating" hinges at the rear, so the lid will go down on different sizes of meat. The lid basically, if you close it, you can lift the hinged end up about 1 1/2".

I just went cheap and big for my first one. A friend has one and I thought wow, no more grease splatter when cooking burgers in the frypan. So I went and grabbed one, my thought was, I needed the biggest surface area possible. So that's how I chose.

Now that I've used it, I would like a different one

My friends has a timer on it: you set the amount of mins. then the machine beeps and shuts off. That is handy.

- I would also like one with temp control

- removable grill plates would be good too but not a nessecity as I don't mind cleaning this one... It's easy still because its new...nothing gets stuck on it.

Thx for posting, I'm glad I'm not the only one with the burnt look on one side.

This is mine: http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman...4638190&sr=1-3

It was the biggest walmart had.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

The one I have, different than yours, has "floating" hinges at the rear, so the lid will go down on different sizes of meat. The lid basically, if you close it, you can lift the hinged end up about 1 1/2".
Mine does have a hinge at the back that joins the lid and the base, but it doesn't raise the lid 1 1/2 inches. I find that when I put burgers or a steak on that the lid sits at an angle with the front higher than the back and at times not even touching the food, so the foods at the front don't cook at the same time as the ones towards the back.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I found an actual picture of mine:

[/IMG]
Mine is the same as the this but half the size. I love cooking with it but like Chris there always seems to be a "black side" and cleaning it is such a PITA!

The last time I used mine was either September/October and it sat on the bench until December (uncleaned)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

cleaning it is such a PITA!
It would be ok if the plates came out, but trying to clean that thing when it's hot is not such a nice thing. Wet conducts heat and I've burned myself several times before I got wise to let it cool completely and then haul it over to the sink. But that makes it even more difficult to clean because the stuff is cemented on then.

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had one of the early basic ones, but now I have the Next Grilleration.

This doesn't have a picture of the bonus plates mine came with (a Target exclusive). It's a top and bottom with ovals to make omelets. I love it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It would be ok if the plates came out, but trying to clean that thing when it's hot is not such a nice thing. Wet conducts heat and I've burned myself several times before I got wise to let it cool completely and then haul it over to the sink. But that makes it even more difficult to clean because the stuff is cemented on then.
My plates don't come out either...but I don't find it too much of a pain to clean. Could be because it is new, the teflon coating is still perfect...so everything slides off.

(but still, next one I buy will have removable plates)

Of course the top plate is more of a pain, but what I do is just open it, and put a grease tray under the back, and then wipe with a wet soapy cloth... the grease tray catches most of the water. The top part of mine doesn't seem to get as dirty as the bottom.

I definately like it.... I think the weight of the lid might be what gives the food singe marks because of the pressure... not sure. But that is the only thing so far I don't like..

For all you that have ones with removable plates, how big is the unit? See that's what I looked for when I bought mine, I need the biggest grilling space because I'm usually cooking on it for 4... even when Mark is not here, cooking burgers, we cook 5-6 (I normally cook more for leftovers, like 8 burgers) and 6is the max. and 2 of those 6 have to be smaller burgers (my low fat ones are smaller in diameter).