Genettas, new breed?

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think someones cats are in desperate need of wings!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial, great pictures! and I completely agree

The first one reminded me of this one here I have of Nikita, although mine is a lot more blurry and she's not high in the air. Still it can be mindboggling what shapes they'll twist themselves into while On The Hunt.

Another airborne Nikita.

To help as a counterpoint in addition to Nial's photo, i.e this is what they're ment to do and is one of the reason I'm so upset seeing the photos of the munchkinized bengals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Even more OT. . . but who is that looking up at Tuscany?
One of her kittens, I forget which one it was.

I guess the point of the pictures was to show what the munchkinized bengals, which are the base of the Genetta program won't be able to do and why we think it's wrong to do that to them.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I was reading TICAs Standing Rules and found the Genettas and Bambinos.. I'm very disappointed.

Here is a list of the breeds:

"The following is a list of the names and official abbreviations for breeds
accepted for Registration ONLY in the Experimental Registry (ER) effective
05/01/08:
AR - Experimental American Ringtail
RA - Experimental American Ringtail Longhair
BC - Experimental Bambino
CC - Experimental Caracat
CT - Experimental Cheetoh
DW - Experimental Dwelf
EF - Experimental Elf
FT - Experimental Fantasy
GT - Experimental Genetta
KM- Experimental Khaomanee
KI - Experimental Kinkalow
KK - Experimental Kinkalow Longhair
KR - Experimental Krinkle
KN - Experimental Krinkle Longhair
LK - Experimental Lambkin
LD - Experimental Leopold
SU - Experimental Skookum
SM - Experimental Skookum Shorthair
TR - Experimental Tennessee Rex
"

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Last night I was reading TICAs Standing Rules and found the Genettas and Bambinos.. I'm very disappointed.

Here is a list of the breeds:

"The following is a list of the names and official abbreviations for breeds
accepted for Registration ONLY in the Experimental Registry (ER) effective
05/01/08:
AR - Experimental American Ringtail
RA - Experimental American Ringtail Longhair
BC - Experimental Bambino
CC - Experimental Caracat
CT - Experimental Cheetoh
DW - Experimental Dwelf
EF - Experimental Elf
FT - Experimental Fantasy
GT - Experimental Genetta
KM- Experimental Khaomanee
KI - Experimental Kinkalow
KK - Experimental Kinkalow Longhair
KR - Experimental Krinkle
KN - Experimental Krinkle Longhair
LK - Experimental Lambkin
LD - Experimental Leopold
SU - Experimental Skookum
SM - Experimental Skookum Shorthair
TR - Experimental Tennessee Rex
"
The only one I agree with is the the Khoa Manee.... another one out of Thailand, which is interesting - odd eyed whites which are different and a naturally occurring breed.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I notice the Caracat is still on the list. That one I object to. There's to much difference in size and gestation period between domestic cats and caracals for this to work without the possibility of the domestic queens dying during mating and kittening.

The Cheetoh is a cross between Bengals and Ocicats. The main difference is larger size than the two parent breeds. That seems rather pointless to me.

The Leopold is a cross between Bengals and Norwegian Forest Cats. Supposed to look like a snow leopard. I would rather see the Cashmeres (longhaired Bengals) developed as a breed.

Bambino, Dwelf, Genetta, Kinkalow, Lambkin, and Skookum are breeds being developed from crossing Munchkins with other breeds. More breeds where the phenotype is linked to a lethal gene.

The American Ringtail breed website is impressive. They have a written standard, a breeder's code of ethics, and they are working with geneticists to work out the actual genetics involved. They are, also, x-raying spines and hips of breeding cats to ensure no deformities develope in the breed. Well, not counting whether or not you consider a ring tail a deformity.

Elfs are a Sphynx derivitive with large ears that curl back at the tips.

Fantasy cats, I couldn't find anything on those or Krinkle cats.

The Kaomanee is a pure white cat with blue or odd eyes. Supposed to be the original royal cat of Thailand. Original breeding stock imported from Thailand. Can be deaf.

The Tennessee Rex (or T-Rex) is a naturally occuring mutation and actually looks like it would be worth developing further. The coat is a longer, softer rexed type. The real interesting thing about these cats is the satin shimmer to the coat. This is also a new mutation in cats and only occurs in this breed. I would love to see one of these cats.

For more information on satin and glitter mutations in cats you can visit
http://www.messybeast.com/satin-glitter.htm

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO half of those listed I would call them "designer" cats where you are crossing two breeds. This is the major objection that I have with TICA. I have no objection to how some breeds came to be, but when you are just crossing breeds to have a new style, then somewhere the line has to be drawn.

I am used to Sphynxs, but really hate the look of the so called "elfs" where you have a naked cat with ears curled backwards. Many breeds occur naturally or by mutations - too many are designer cats.

And the Cheetohs????? that's another thing that a lot of Ocicat breeders are very concerned with. The goal of the Cheetohs is nothing more then to create another spotted cat using Bengals and Oci's - and there is nothing different about them at all. I've seen some of them - they either look like poor quality Bengals or poor quality Oci's - nothing to make them "different" from either breed. IMO maybe they want Bengals in other colors (like the 12 colors of the Oci)...I have no clue. Thank goodness there are a small number of Oci breeders and so it will be hard to get Oci's from other breeders to put in the program of Cheetoh.