Genetic Heart Disease - 6 Months Old

lilreba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat Smokey was neutered on Tuesday, ended up in 24 hour emergency with pulmonary edema. Vet diagnosed him with genetic heart disease and place him on medication. We brought him home last night and he is doing really well; however, I'm worried to death and can't seem to get this off my mind. Smokey was just a baby when we got him and it breaks my heart this happened and regret ever taking him to the vet.

I've read tons and tons of stuff on-line yet I know no matter what I read ---- every cat has a different reaction and outcome.

I finally found this forum where I can at least share what I'm feeling. Thanks for listening.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Smokey's diagnosis, but why do you regret taking him to the vet? It's much better to be aware of the problem in order to be able treat it with medication. Our last cat had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), a genetic condition, and lived to almost the age of 14. It's very worrying and means lots of vet visits and regular meds, but in many cases it's manageable for a long time.

Lots of :vibes::vibes::vibes: for your boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilreba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks JCat,

I just keep thinking if I hadn't taken him for the neuter none of this would have happened, yet I know since it's genetic sometimes it's not found until a stressful event. I'm extremely worried, because it all happened so fast and last week was so much for the little guy. So far he's doing well on the meds and resting better.

I keep looking at him all the time and watching and I know I can't do that it's not healthy for either one of us so I have to find peace and take it day to day.

Hopefully being able to share on this forum and chat with other will help me.

The vet said because we caught it early the prognosis was good. I hope he lives as long live like your kitty :-) knowing that cats do make it is reassuring, there seems to be more negative information shared rather than positive based on what I've read on-line.