Gender manipulation

wegiebreeder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This may seem like an odd question but...

Does anyone know of any methods to manipulate the gender of future kittens?

I know in reptiles different temperatures during incubation produce different genders, and in chinchillas different types of light during conception can increase chances of getting particular sex offspring, and in rabbits I have heard that pregnancy in different seasons produces more of one or the other but is there any thoughts on such processes that may cause a pair of cats to produce a majority male litter?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I've heard is that in times of drought more males are born, and it does seem to be true. But that's not controllable 

You always just get the sexes or colours you don't wish for, gene fairy is seldom kind 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wegiebreeder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tell me about it. I had four people after one kitten from my last litter because he was a particular pattern that everyone wanted (a hi-white black tabby, go figure!), while two of his gorgeous sisters (Blue Tortie & Black Smoke Tortie) are still looking for homes simply because everyone wants a boy
However that means I don get kittens for longer so it's not all bad!

Perhaps I should have asked how to attract nice fairies

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not if you're after a boy to keep, or for another breeder to have as a stud

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wegiebreeder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't most breeders prefer getting females?
In the case of my breed males are far more popular, due to being bigger and more 'showy' than their female counterparts, I have a huge waiting list despite having two female kittens currently available, but all those people specifically want males.

I know another breeder with the same "problem", all her males have homes but the females don't.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The solution is simple: Raise the price on the males.  If you as here have several interested, screen who you do want/accept to sell to, of course.  And let these bid on.

Let the market decide, as they say.

Sooner or later will some of them wannabe´s discover females are very nice, they too.   :)

Not even mentioning you can get them for a much more affordable price.    :)

- I suppose you do have a standard price for kittens now, like is the common?

The only difference who are prob of show quality, and who are prob of pet quality, and sold as pets.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The solution is simple: Raise the price on the males.  If you as here have several interested, screen who you do want/accept to sell to, of course.  And let these bid on.

Let the market decide, as they say.
This happens here, most with the Coonies that I've seen

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snip>

The only difference who are prob of show quality, and who are prob of pet quality, and sold as pets.
Here in the UK show neuters and pets are often the same price - it's cats on the active register (e.g. for breeding) that cost more, studs especially.

spottedlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Other than folklore, nothing concrete, but it is said that breeding near the beginning  of the cycle versus the end of the cycle will enhance the chances of males or female. Not sure which end of the cycle or which sex. 

For Savannah breeders boy are generally more sought after and the earlier generations as well. Most people wanting savannahs want larger cats and the boys are about 20% - 30% larger than the females. Tall wise  length wise and weight wise.

Leonard D. 

spottedlove savannahs

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
breeding near the beginning  of the cycle versus the end of the cycle will enhance the chances of males or female.
Same as one of the theories on litter sizes, they all just seem to be theory and disproven often. Like those who swear that a daytime mating results in daytime kittens 

The best proven way seems to be to wish for the opposite of what you actually want 

Welcome to the site SL 

Last edited:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than folklore, nothing concrete, but it is said that breeding near the beginning  of the cycle versus the end of the cycle will enhance the chances of males or female. Not sure which end of the cycle or which sex. 

For Savannah breeders boy are generally more sought after and the earlier generations as well. Most people wanting savannahs want larger cats and the boys are about 20% - 30% larger than the females. Tall wise  length wise and weight wise.

Leonard D. 

spottedlove savannahs
It is great to have another hybrid cat lover/breeder on the site. Welcome to TCS

spottedlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome. I normally do not worry about the sex of the kittens, just want them to all be healthy and happy and well behaved. One thing for sure it seems they dont have them when you want them to have the litter. 

Leonard D. 

spottedlove savannahs

lifeatthesharpend productions