Gemma's Pregnancy

Osun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beautiful long haired calico Gemma is showing possible signs of pregnancy but I’m not sure if I want to call the vet just yet until I know for sure. I’m NOT sure if she was bred or not, if she is pregnant she would be about 3-4 weeks. She is 3 years old never had a litter before.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Osun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
EF6661D3-816A-48BF-A198-B5A1AFDDA5A8.jpeg
I think it could be- this article has more information: How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?

Was she outside around intact males? If so, she is most likely pregnant.

Thanks for your reply last night, never got around to thanking you till now! Today I decided to take her to the vet since I clearly wasn’t the only one suspecting it, and they did an ultrasound— Gemma is indeed pregnant! Babies on the way, I believe she is due the 1st week of July, right around my birthday! They counted 2 babies for sure!

Osun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my pregnant cat puked up the biggest hair ball I’ve ever seen. Should I be concerned? It’s probably 4 inches long.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hairballs are pretty common. I don't think a hairball would be of any special concern for a pregnant cat :think: One of the more experienced members would know. StefanZ StefanZ

Osun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s just surprising as I brush her about every other day. It’s HUGE, poor girl

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Over grooming due to stress of pregnancy - or other related or unrelated stresses?

Feeby has not thrown up a hairball for a long long time. But after a 1 week with my MIL here, she threw up loads of hair two days in a row. I think she was over grooming to help herself deal with the stress of a stranger being in her home. She hasn't done it again since.

Try giving her some butter or margarine to help pass hairballs. It should help while she is over grooming - assuming that is what it is.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, shouldnt be dangerous by itself.
Also high pregs lick off the fur around the nipples and vagina.

Osun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat was bred between 1st of May and May 4th so she is due soon by the end of next week. At Gemma’s ultrasound they could count 2 babies. Well I haven’t felt them move yet and I’m a little concerned. I understand with smaller litters it may be a little more difficult to distinguish. Some of you may remember me bc of my post wondering if she was pregnant at first bc of her nipples pinking up
3F486A96-85C9-4922-BC36-68C057F861FE.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can indeed be more difficult to see kitten movement in cats with small litters and lots of fur!

Have you made a nest for your cat?

Also, the vet’s estimate is just that, and may be off by a week or more, so be patient. :)

Do you plan to spay her after this litter weans?

Osun Osun

Osun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat is 65 days ish pregnant and today when I got home from work and while I was petting her her water broke. It’s like a mucus consistency and slightly blood tinged at her vaginal opening. She is very restless, purring constantly, all labor signs are ther and, but I don’t see obvious contractions. How long after this discharge until the kittens arrive on average? I think she is only having 2 or 3. But I’m so anxious because I go back to work 4-10! I don’t want to bother her yet I want to be home when she has them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its apparently very near. But we cant know the exact hour.
Water breaking earlier is some complication, but usually no disaster.
Be prepared, do observe, but stat calm.

Be sure she gets calcium rich food. Yoghurt cheese goats milk. Whatever she eats.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Osun, is this Gemma, the pregnant cat you have reported under another thread? If so, she was mated between the 1st and 4t May which makes her between 57 and 61 days pregnant today. You may have to wait a little while yet.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is already laboring in the early stages. If I am correct on this, it usually lasts about 24 hours before pushing and delivery begins.

Keep us posted!

Osun Osun

Osun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:::

It has officially been 24 hours since Gemma’s bloody show and mucus. She still has a bloody show today. Yesterday I could feel the kittens move and today I have not felt them move yet. I felt for half an hour straight when she was laying on me. I’m rather concerned the labor has not progressed. My poor baby does not want to leave my side. When should I call the vet?

Osun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Osun, is this Gemma, the pregnant cat you have reported under another thread? If so, she was mated between the 1st and 4t May which makes her between 57 and 61 days pregnant today. You may have to wait a little while yet.

False. It actually makes her 68 days pregnant if she mated in the 4th of May.

Osun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: it’s 2:33 pm here her bloody show was pink. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . She went into active labor quickly after I posted my last update (of course) Had her baby at 12:15 pm. She still hasn’t had another, should I be concerned as the ultrasound saw 2 early on? Shouldn’t she have had the other by now? She’s laying there nursing him not really seeming in distress, just tired
A5097701-0E08-45D3-A134-FEE1A74240A6.jpeg