gave kittens away. worried about the cat

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Who knows why they made two words- but the poster is correct Neuter is gender neutral- can apply to male or female.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosieToes

I agree with Aquiel, the age that you wean your kittens really just depends on the individual litter, sometimes even the individual kitten! I got my two boys from my mother's back yard where a feral cat had kittens...Hutch left his mom on his own when he was less than 5 weeks old, and was eating solid food. Boots, however, hung around his mom for another 2 weeks. I have also seen kittens wander away from their mothers at 4 weeks and not come back, and seen some fight like the devil at 3 months when you attempt to take them away from their mom.
And about her not being sure whether the kittens were one or 2 months old, I took a glance at her profile and discovered that by her age, she is *probably* living at home, which leads me to assume that her mom was probably the main one in charge of the kittens. And, being a teenager, I'm sure she has a busy life and the exact dates of the kittens births are probably not the first thing in her mind!
So for those of you who are jumping all over her back for not knowing the exact date, take a deep breath and relax. She's just asking about how to make her momma cat feel better, not asking for lectures on spaying (not neutering...that's for male cats lol) and people implying that she is irresponsible for finding the kittens a good home.
I mean really, at least she isn't putting them in a pillow case and throwing them in a river, right?
Goldielocks: I'm sure your cat will feel better soon, she's probably just a little depressed and missing her babies. When we take the kittens away, we don't really give the mom a chance to get sick of them. But she'll move on in a week or so, just be sure to give her lots of cuddles, and good food!
There are several other teenagers posting on this very board, who know perfectly well the birth date of their kittens. I think remembering a particular date is not beyond teenagers' ability

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with all due respect if you are able to post on this site to ask a question you are capable of searching the internet to find out how long a kitten should remain with its mother.

no one means to 'jump all over her back' but the kittens welfare should be formost. if she could get the kittens back for just a couple of weeks that wold solve her problem. if not, the kittens new owners need to be informed how to take care of such tiny babies.

plus spaying would help the mama cat get over her grief and stop the whole thing happening again.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
goldielocks...I am assuming that you want to do what is right for your kitty or you would not have posted your question in the first place. Even though most posters, who responded to your question, are very concerned & upset about your lack of information about how to care for your Mama cat & her kittens, I am sure that everyone wants you to remain a member of TCS, so that you can become a better cat caretaker. Please, if you possibly can, find out how the kittens are doing. If they are not thriving...bring them back to Mama kitty, so that they she can nurse her babies, until they are a little older...then get her "spayed."
I hope that you let us know how it all turned out. Please know that we care.

aquiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
there are tons of info on the net, stating kittens can leave their moms at 8 weeks, if in fact the kittens are 1 month, then ya, too young.
i sure all the kittens are doing perfectly fine, Her original question was regarding the momma cat, can what she could do to help her.
I dont see many other solutions, other then that she should the kittens back to their mother, becuase she was obviously wrong in letting them go.
I have this feeling, she wont reply to this thread, simply becuase even if it wasn't the intention, alot of people kinda jumped down her throat.
Sure, she is a teenager, sure she should know the age of her kittens, and sure she should know what age her kittens should go to their new homes.
Maybe she does, perhaps, she was in a hurry and didn't think about her post and her wording?
I know at times, I can post absolute gibberish. Though if I did, and had these kind of responses, I would feel very leary about posting a reply here, cause no matter what, it would seem that the same thing would be said. And I would be in the wrong.
Yes, the poster should spay her cat, and if the kittens were not thriving, she should get them back, perhaps she will?
I dont mean to start anything, however, alot of people took to the defensive.
And sure, no dout, you will think that I was in the wrong letting my kittens go to new home as young as 8 weeeks, but I can and will defend my opinion, that I made the right decisions according to the individual needs of each kitten. (I had one littlerwhere I had two kittens leave at 8 weeks, two leave a 9 weeks and two leave at 11 weeks--they were all different, I would never be as rigid to impose a set age and stick to it no matter what).
So...
I think I might need a flame suit after this, so suiting up now!

PS: to the original poster...hope your momma cat is fairing a bit better today!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldielocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok first of all im sorry that i didnt word the question right... i was gone when the kittens were born so i did not know the exact age of the kittens. i found that they were old enough. i have raised many kittens. i knew they were ready to leave. they were already eating dry food. they were already wandering off on their own. she was done raising, them she barely paid attention to them, that told me that she knew that they were old enough. they were raised fine. i am not worried about the kittens they have good homes. they are well over two months.. they are fine. i was worried about the mother of the kittens. she seem to be in pain physically because of the over-abundance of the milk that she was producing. i was making sure that it was ok that she still would have so much milk. thank you for all the people that didnt get all over me about something that they didnt know about... i dont mean to sound rude but the kittens were fine. i was just worring about the mother. It seems that she is doing better.. i wish i could get her spayed(or neutered, whatever you call it), but i cannot afford it.. the best i can do is look after her and keep her in the house as much as possible... thank you and goodbye

janemary

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you don't keep her in the house ALL the time or get her spayed she WILL get pregnant again. Since you are unable to keep the kittens do you really think that is a good idea for you and for the mamma cat?

The cost of caring for the kittens and possible complications that may arise if a she gets pregnant again would be more then enough incentive for me to get her spayed.

I don't want to sound too harsh, but I volunteer at my local humane society and know first hand that there are so many unwanted/neglected cats in this world as it is, and many have to be euthenized. Please do the right thing and spay your cat.

Good luck, God bless!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldielocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i cannot afford to spay my cat, we can barely afford to pay our regular bills, let alone a two or three hundred dollar vet bill. as much as i Love my cat i cannot neuter her

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why not charge a little more for the kittens and put it towards a cat spaying fund? you say you cant afford spaying but when my cat was pregnant she ate twice the amount of food and wouldnt the kittens use twice the amont of litter (plus food too?)

in the long run it would be a lot cheaper for you to spay her. If you ask on the forums many people know of some low cost places.

have you considered getting pet insurance too in case there are any emergencys? if you cant afford a three hundred dollar vet bill this will keep you covered if your cat has an accident. mine costs about £5 a month.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goldielocks

ok first of all im sorry that i didnt word the question right... i was gone when the kittens were born so i did not know the exact age of the kittens. i found that they were old enough. i have raised many kittens. i knew they were ready to leave. they were already eating dry food. they were already wandering off on their own. she was done raising, them she barely paid attention to them, that told me that she knew that they were old enough. they were raised fine. i am not worried about the kittens they have good homes. they are well over two months.. they are fine. i was worried about the mother of the kittens. she seem to be in pain physically because of the over-abundance of the milk that she was producing. i was making sure that it was ok that she still would have so much milk. thank you for all the people that didnt get all over me about something that they didnt know about... i dont mean to sound rude but the kittens were fine. i was just worring about the mother. It seems that she is doing better.. i wish i could get her spayed(or neutered, whatever you call it), but i cannot afford it.. the best i can do is look after her and keep her in the house as much as possible... thank you and goodbye
Well, none of us were meaning to "get all over you about something we didn't know." We gave advice with the information given. I know you were worried about your mother cat still producing milk, but if the kittens were given away at one month old, then that's why, and that's why we were telling you that you'd need to get them back, for the kittens sake, and the mothers. It is very painful for a mother to just suddenly take away her nursing, because the milk lays heavy in her, causing it to be painful. Now, she'll dry up soon, but absolutely none of us were trying to be rude nor trying to jump all over you. You were concerned about your cat, you asked, we gave advice with the information we got. I hope that you will realize that this was advice and not harsh critisism, and that you'll enjoy your time on TCS.

Cassie

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Spaying does not cost two-three hundred, with a voucher it can cost something like $30-50 I believe, which has to be cheaper than taking care of 3 litters of kittens and has further health benefits.

If we knew your location there are people who could give you low-cost clinic locations in your area.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying can be found cheaper. if you were willing to share your location. we could help you find a low cost spay and neuter. or contact a feline rescue in your area I did. and have gotten my foster, and my girls fixed.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are also animal welfare organisations that will pay for, or at least greatly defray the costs of spay/neuter, in exchange for a few hours of volunteer work a week.

aquiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
spayplease2, how do you know that the poster of this thread is using his or her own internet connection?
Perhaps, they are using a computer at a library or cyber cafe? or at a friends house.
I find your comment slightly insulting to this cat owner!
You have no right to imply that this person does not care about the well being of their pet!
Im sure everyone of us could find fault with everyone else, if we looked hard enough regarding the care of everybodies animals.
I would hope in the future you might use a bit more consideration in your posts.
YOU do not know the circumstances, and it is not fair to imply you do.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually at my shelter, we have a mobile clinic neuter for $5-$20

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The spay/neuter clinic in my hometown charges 30$, I got both my girls spayed for $60, after getting a voucher from a local rescue. If it costs $200-300 to get a cat spayed you need to find a new vet!! The pain medicine was like, $12. You should look for a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in your community by going online.

Here you can find a list of low-cost spay and neuter clinics in your state http://www.spayusa.org/

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When one takes in an animal, one is responsible for her. So if you cannot affird to neuter/spay her, you need to find someone who CAN afford her or a low cost clinic. I am not sure where you live but there are many places that will charge not much money for spay surgery or set up a payment plan. You owe it to your kitty if you truly love her!!!

Just when we plan for children, we need to know we can afford to care for those beings we bring into our care. There is no such entiry as a freecat and I get ill every time I see "free to a good home" because you know what happens to those kittens - a small few are lucky enough to go to a good home that can provide the food, care, playthings etc that a cat needs. Most are treated abysmally and end up either starving in the wold - especially if they are uneutered and end up discarded (free seems to tell people they are worthless, sigh!!) -, sold by bouchers to labs where they live horrible lives and deaths or they end up as snake food of some kind or as bait for training fighting dogs. There are sites that explain this better than I - here is one example:

Every week you see them in the ads. section of the papers "free kittens to good homes". The following tale is a warning to everyone who puts these ads in the papers for kittens, pups and dogs.The ad said "free kittens to good homes" and a telephone number. Over the next few days several people called to see and collect the kittens. As each person left, the woman said to the person "you make sure it gets a good home, I am fond of it".The first kitten to leave was a ginger female. Her four year old owner loved her to bits, but she accidentally injured the kitten's shoulder picking her up the wrong way. The child could not be blamed - nobody showed her the correct way to pick up a kitten. She named the kitten 'Ginger', but was very upset a few weeks later when her brother's friends "sat on it".The next to go was the white male with blue eyes, The person who took him named him 'Snowy'. Sadly, 'Snowy' never learned his name and as the new owner paid little attention to him, never realised he was deaf. His first adventure out of doors ended in disaster - he never heard the car.The next to go was a grey and white female who went to live in a neighbour's farm, and like her mother she was a mouser. Unlike her brother and sister she wasn't even given a name, but fell ill after repeat pregnancies, and died, leaving a new born litter.The last 2 kittens went to a pretty woman who wanted the two so they could remain together for life. She later sold them to a laboratory for Euro10 each. They are together as she promised - in a jar of alcohol.All the kittens arrived in heaven at the same time. They all played together, licked each other in delight and then together passed through the gates, passing a sign in big gold letters "YOU ARE FINALLY FREE KITTENS".The moral to this tale is: never hand over a kitten or any animal without checking where it is going. Never give it away free - take a donation and give it to a charity of your choice if you wish, and always get a name and address and follow up where they went. Other wise they could end up like any of the kittens above.

thank you
M. O'Sullivan (sec/pro)
galway spca

At any rate, please neuter your kitty. Unfixed cats are more suseptible to mammory cancer and other illnesses and it is not fair to bring a cat into your home and then not care for it. Cats cost money and you just need to plan accordinly!