gatta vent about my dumb dog... (long)

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so my dog Valorie LOVES to be outside. we dont have a fenced in back yard so she is chained to the front of the shed with a long leash when she wants to chill outside for a few hous (dont worry she has a dog house, blankets, food, water, and shade inside the shed... its actually quite nice and she comes inside when it is cold, rains, or at night).

about 3 months ago i was getting ready to hook her up and then she just started running (someone/thing cut her chain in half) and i kinda walked after her thinking she would go to the front door. nope. she ran right out into the street.... and got hit by a car. i dont know who screamed louder, me or her. she came whimpering back to me and layed down at my feet. i started crying and i picked her up (i know, i know... bad decision... i panicked!) and i took her inside. i yelled at my mom to help me becuase val just got hit.

i set her down and val stood up, walked across the room just fine, no limps or anything and started chewing on he bone...
the only thing that was wrong was she had a little bald spot on her head... i saw the car run over her but she was fine... scariest time of my life.

so today, i look out my window and the little booger is running around across the street! my dad hooked her up fine and her collar isnt broken! i dont know what i would do if she got hit again and she wasnt as lucky as last time. luckily my neighbor saw her and caught her.

sorry its so long but i had to vent about her. i love her to death but she has got to be the stupidest dog on earth.i'm thinking i should tell my mom that after we get back on our feet (financially speaking) that we should get a fence put in our back yard. so my question to you is what kind of fence do you have and do you guys think an electric fence or a chain fence would be better for a dog?

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't agree with an electric fence.. especially for a small dog, she looks like a mini dachshund? She should be fine with a simple chain link fence. And I bet a heck of a lot happier too.

And she's not stupid.. she's a hound/terrier.. thats what they do, it's natural for that breed to take off.

Animals tht are hit aren't scared of the road. They are scared of the cars.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

I don't agree with an electric fence.. especially for a small dog, she looks like a mini dachshund? She should be fine with a simple chain link fence. And I bet a heck of a lot happier too.

And she's not stupid.. she's a hound/terrier.. thats what they do, it's natural for that breed to take off.

Animals tht are hit aren't scared of the road. They are scared of the cars.
I totally agree with the post above. Just because she does that doesn't make her stupid.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

I totally agree with the post above. Just because she does that doesn't make her stupid.
I also agree. This issue of her taking off isn't her fault. It's her human's fault.
Dogs don't love to be outside chained up. If they are herding dogs/hunting dogs and live in a pack in a heated barn situation, its different.
House dogs need to live inside with their humans...
I say forget the fence altogether and keep her inside where she belongs.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A fence is sstill needed for outdoor play and excercise.. but your right. Dogs are pack animals, and they need to be with the pack, which is your family. Plus chaining dogs for long periods of time create behavioral and aggression problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you know those things called jokes? that is what the stupid comment was. sometimes people make these things called jokes. am i allowed to make jokes? i didn't mean she was stupid for her running off. i know that is instinct.

i have never had an electric fence or any other kind of fence. i didnt really agree with electric fences either i was just wondering if you guys used them.

i'm offended by you saying that it was my fault loveysmummy. it isnt like i went outside and unhooked her and let her run outside. and yes, she loves it outside. i know she may not like to be chained up, that is why i was asking the fence question (BTW leto thanks for answering).

i have never been ganged up upon on this site. you guys can really offend people. some dogs DO like to be outside. you havent met every dog on the face of this planet.

and i dont chain her up for long periods of time. only when she whines to go outside.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't trying to be rude, honestly. I just don't think it's nice to call your dog stupid is all joking or not. I hope you didn't get offended by what I said.. I wasn't trying to be mean or rude and I hope it isn't the way you took my reply. I am really sorry if I hurt your feelings that was not my intention at all.

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
no its totally fine. it wasnt your reply that offended me. i understand your point. i get mad when people call their dogs names. i just lost my temper. i dont ever call her names. i just think you took my venting the wrong way and i apologize. i have apologized to Val and all is forgiven

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you need to train her to stay in the yard, or stop letting her outside tied up unattended.

To see how she's getting loose, tie her up and then call her and see how she's getting out. That's how I found out my dog was getting into the chicken coop, all I had to do was call her and she showed me exactly how she was getting inside.

My dog LiLo is like yours, if left to her own devices would gladly run the neighborhood. So our yard is fenced in. Maybe you should get her a dog run, or build her a run off of the shed so she can't go anywhere.

I understand you want what's best for her, and she loves being outside [my dog LiLo does too] but tying her up doesn't really teach her anything. You'd be better off to just teach her she needs to stay in the yard.

Invisible fencing is a good idea, however I've known a lot of dogs who became terrified of the grass and didn't understand what was going on, not to mention if she jumps onto the other side [like towards the street] she won't want to cross the fencing to come home.

You could buy her a training collar, it has a button and it gives a zap or something [it has a low setting, and it doesn't cause a lot of pain, I've tried it on myself.] you could set her up, watch her, and when she gets loose and heads to the end of the yard, push the button on the remote. I did it to my dog to keep her out of the chicken coop, and she understood it right away. I know a lot of people are against them, but you can either zap your dog, make her live inside and go outside only with you, or let her get smashed. For me, it was more worth it to "zap" her, than to let her kill another chicken of mine.

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that is a good idea. i know chaining them up is cruel. we are trying desperatly to get some money but for a little while chaining her up is as good as it gets (we're poor if you havent figured it out
). i walk her around the yard and walk her on the side walk. what i'm scared of with the zappy collar thing is that she will keep on running. she is very fast and never comes back when she is called (if she gets free). i dont want you guys to think i'm an irrisponcible dog owner because she is chained up. i'm against chaining dogs up but that is all i can do for her. my mom is considering getting a chain link fence put in next year at the earliest. please please dont think i'm a cruel person guys.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were pretty poor when I got my first dog.
She was a poddle/Chi/Sheltie mix.

You could do what I did.
I went to the local library and checked out books on obedience training and trained her myself.
I was 11 at the time, so I can tell you that anybody can do it if they're willing to try.
It won't solve the chaining issue, but at least you can retrain her and get her to come when called.

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that is a good idea. i dont really have anything else to do this summer anyways. lol. thank you so much

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you ever think about taking her for long walks? That way she can be outside and with her human pack friend as well, at least until you can afford to get a fence. Dogs love going on walks and getting to sniff all of the new and exciting places where other dogs have been.

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i take her around my backyard every dother day or so (which is like an acre or 2) and maybe like 2 or 3 times a week i take her on a long walk. lately in MO it has been so hot that weather people are telling us that is is better to stay inside though
. i still walk her at night or early in the morning. (except today i woke up a 3 pm
)

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You dog is pretty!!! can we see her in a picture? Take her for long walks , keep her inside for a little bit, if you going to keep her on a chain. make sure it is strong... have a lot water,shade,keep her cool too.

aubidar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Probably what would be a good idea is to train her to stop at a voice command. I took our puppy (several years ago now) to a puppy trainer. Well it was a 1 hour session where he basically told us to train ourselves to train them.
It was actually very helpful and informative. And we watched him tell his dog to "Stay" when she was distracted by an opening door and looked poised to run off.

It was excellent! Dogs off chains and out of fences can do unpredictable things. A Voice trained dog gives you valuable seconds to grab a collar. Now having said that. The 4 yo dog that I took as a puppy still lives with my parents and when he is free.. is in no way shape or form voice trained. But that's my failing .. not his.

He will respond to my fathers voice 99% of the time.. but if he realizes he's free.. he could be gone for an hour or more and it's a very scary time. Now having said that, he's an 80 lb dog that is hard to miss in the middle of a street.. and he tends toward back yards and long grass of fields rather then hard concrete any day.. you know you can't dig in concrete.

Good luck with Valorie. The dog training thing scares me.. which is why my husband and I only have the 2 cats.. much easier to keep the cats inside

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah sure. here are some pics i took a few months ago.

here is val just bein val

Val and Kitty

here is the pic in my siggy

and this is the cutest pic of her ever!

i love this dog sooooo much.

voice command huh? i am going to try and train her. my other dog Mickey (in siggy) was my main dog that i took care of and he was my boy. he was well trained and always listened to me and my dad. he was so obediant. we had to give him up for adoption because he was trying to kill my cats and he actually bit a person and my mom didnt want a lawsuit.
i miss him so much. i always spent my time training him that Val never really got trained. i'll work on her though. she's learning. i think i'm ganna go try and find some books on how to train an untrainable dog
(joke by the way...
)

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
she is cute!!!
Do you have a petsmart in your area??? At my petsmart there is traing thing every couple days. Maybe there is the something like that at your petsmart.

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She says thank you!
we have a Petco. i odnt know if they do things like that or not. i'll look into it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chain fence - IMO its safer and more secure. The electric one doesn't prevent another animal to walk into the yard and some dogs learn to ignore the shock from the collar and still cross the line.