Gastric (?) issues and weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

redsmom79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks. I came home to a small piece of soft, formed stool with some very loose stool around it. I hope this means we're headed in the right direction. This is the 2nd day off the Miralax.
Update: We've gone from pudding to toothpaste this morning! Now to just get it in the box.....

redsmom79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we've gone back to constipation. Can that happen in just a few days? I really thought Red was on the mend, but he's back to straining and barely eating. And now he's peeing on the floor. I'll call the vet Tuesday and try to get him in, but I'm feeling really hopeless right now.

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he seems really uncomfortable or not eat for more than a day, you might have to take him to an emergency room. He is not eating probably because he has to go but can't.

Not eating can cause liver failure, so please do make sure he eats something.

You can give him baby enema with warm water also. (Never use the ones that's prefilled with drugs.) Baby enema is a   teeny tiny bag, FYI. If you do it, you must do it very, very, very carefully. If you feel at all uncomfortable and unsure how to do it, you might have to have vets handle this because it can cause damage. (Next time when you are at the vet, you can ask them to show you how.)

This site shows a kitty with constipation getting an enema at a vet's: http://www.floppycats.com/cat-enem.html  (So, you see, it's not much liquid at all that goes in there.)

I think sometimes what happens is they feel well and start eating too much too soon and the still healing system can't handle it.

redsmom79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he seems really uncomfortable or not eat for more than a day, you might have to take him to an emergency room. He is not eating probably because he has to go but can't.

Not eating can cause liver failure, so please do make sure he eats something.

You can give him baby enema with warm water also. (Never use the ones that's prefilled with drugs.) Baby enema is a   teeny tiny bag, FYI. If you do it, you must do it very, very, very carefully. If you feel at all uncomfortable and unsure how to do it, you might have to have vets handle this because it can cause damage. (Next time when you are at the vet, you can ask them to show you how.)

This site shows a kitty with constipation getting an enema at a vet's: http://www.floppycats.com/cat-enem.html  (So, you see, it's not much liquid at all that goes in there.)

I think sometimes what happens is they feel well and start eating too much too soon and the still healing system can't handle it.
Ah, enema. That slipped my mind somehow. I'll ask the vet about that, thanks for the reminder. I still had some Lactulose here, and he's gotten 2 doses so far. He seems to be visiting the water bowl more often as well.

redsmom79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a brief (sad) update. I ended up putting Red down on June 4. In addition to the problems I explained here, he'd also become incontinent (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/259495/incontinence) and pretty much stopped eating and drinking. I believe in my heart that I'd tried all I could without putting him under more stress. I realized I was hanging onto him more for myself than for him.

On top of that, a couple of days after I made his final appointment, the other cat I'd had for just over a year, Saturn, suddenly lost control of her legs and fell down the stairs. I thought she just had an injured paw and lost her balance, but I took her to get checked out the same day I took Red in and found out she had some kind of neurological problem. She simply couldn't move her legs the way she wanted, and she didn't respond to pain at all. A full check up on that would have cost more money than I had in any combination at the time, but more than that, I wouldn't have been able to give her the level of care she would have needed since I work full time. She could lie down and eat, but she couldn't/wouldn't eliminate.

Long story short, I lost both my babies on the same damn day. I miss them dearly, and the house feels so empty, but after almost 2 months I'm finally getting used to it.

Thanks for all your help.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry. I can only imagine the pain of losing two furbabies at the same time. My heart grieves for you.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss and would like to extend the sympathies of the entire TCS team. Perhaps you'd like to post about Red and Saturn in the Crossing the Bridge forum? A link to your thread or threads there can be added to this one so that people can give their condolences, and this thread can be closed.

redsmom79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss and would like to extend the sympathies of the entire TCS team. Perhaps you'd like to post about Red and Saturn in the Crossing the Bridge forum? A link to your thread or threads there can be added to this one so that people can give their condolences, and this thread can be closed.
jcat, I had a hard enough time writing my post above. I don't think I'll post in the other forum, but I did find a post there that really helped me before I made the decision to make Red's appointment, so I'm very thankful for that. Please go ahead and close this thread if you need to.

Thank you for your condolences. Hugs and love and well wishes for all your babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.