Gassy one week old kitten

catoncat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I’ve been fostering two newborn kittens that were found rejected by their mother. They are a week old now, syringe fed on KMR (one part one two parts water) and gaining around 8-10 grams a day. One of them seems to get gassy/bloated possibly constipated. His belly gets bloated at the sides and feels hard. I burp them after every feeding and started to add a couple of drops of olive oil but I’m not sure it’s doing much. I heard Simeticone drops for babies are good for kittens but the one I found contained other ingredients (composition: simethicone 40mg, preservatives: benzoic acid e210 1.0 mg, sodium benzoate e211 1.0 mg, saccharin sodium, flavorings)
Does anyone know if these ingredients are okay to give it to the kitten or is it safer to just stick with olive oil burping?
Appreciate your help!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Add a little more olive oil to each feeding for the gassy kitten, and by all means also add 2-3 drops of infant simethicone to each of his feedings.

Both are helpful, but, this particular kitten may do better on full fat goat milk rather than formula. You can usually find full fat goat milk at Walmart or Whole Foods, or powdered full fat goat milk on the powdered milk aisle at your grocery.

Since this baby is struggling, I would suggest that you switch him to the goat milk. It may agree with him better than formula.

Thank you for fostering, and do keep us posted on their progress!

C catoncat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catoncat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Add a little more olive oil to each feeding for the gassy kitten, and by all means also add 2-3 drops of infant simethicone to each of his feedings.

Both are helpful, but, this particular kitten may do better on full fat goat milk rather than formula. You can usually find full fat goat milk at Walmart or Whole Foods, or powdered full fat goat milk on the powdered milk aisle at your grocery.

Since this baby is struggling, I would suggest that you switch him to the goat milk. It may agree with him better than formula.

Thank you for fostering, and do keep us posted on their progress!

C catoncat
Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply.
Is it ok to do both the gas drops and olive oil together or alternate between feedings?

The only goat milk readily available to me is UHT/long life: Delamere Full Cream Goats Milk
Would that be good? I’m a bit wary of changing the milk since they’ve only been on KMR but happy to try if the drops/olive oil don’t help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That goat milk sounds fine. I would swich the one kitten to goat milk and see how he does. Keep us posted!

Last edited: