Gary's been bleeding in all the wrong places...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I passed my exam, Naomi's coming home Sunday (and is already back on methadone), Tuxie's doing better, but not out of the woods yet, and the rest of the gang is doing great.... I've gotten all the updates out there except for poor Gary.
He's had problems with ulcers in the past, and his sister died of stomach cancer at 38 and his dad just died of pancreatic cancer last year (at 68?). Gary's always taken his stress out internally (I just throw mine into my neck), and the most recent problem has been irritable bowel syndrome - extremely, extremely painful. But he's been going to the bathroom blood, and he's been throwing up blood the past few weeks. He's going for a colonoscopy on May 4th. I really, really, really hope they can figure out what's wrong, because he is in SO much pain. He's been on Protonix for a couple of years now - it just doesn't seem to be doing anything anymore.
He's TERRIFIED of hospitals - and I mean a serious, serious phobia. Doc prescribed some valium for the morning of, so I can get him to the hospital. And I'm sure everything will go OK - it's just a colonoscopy, so he comes home that night. I'm just worried about the results.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear Gary's having such a tough time! I'll be thinking of him and your whole gang (congrats on Naomi coming home, btw). I'm sure it must be very hard for both of you to deal with all that's been going on, and now this on top of it! I hope the colonoscopy goes well and that the doctors are able to help him out right away, so that he won't continue to be in pain. Please keep us posted on how all of you are doing.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a person who was diagnosed with an ulcer when I was 28 I hear you. I've worked very hard on my stress issues over the years. However mom stresses easy and has gone to the emergency room cause she thinks she is having a heart attack (just a panic attack) ITS SO STRESSFULL!! Hope everything is ok!!

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, I've developed GERD and IBS due to stress. Thank goodness my stomach is usually filled so no ulcers.

I wish Gary luck with the colonoscopy. I got tubed from both ends so I can tell him from experience, the procedures are not worth getting upset over. You're sedated, but not asleep for the colonoscopy.

5catsandcountin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am really sorry you are going thruogh this. My fiance also has the bowel issue and for awhile we thought is was cancerous, the colonoscopy and everything was brutal. Luckily, he quite being around his stressfull brother and laid of the salads and he is much better. I hope everything works out for both of you

misstorri

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I passed my exam, Naomi's coming home Sunday (and is already back on methadone), Tuxie's doing better, but not out of the woods yet, and the rest of the gang is doing great.... I've gotten all the updates out there except for poor Gary.
He's had problems with ulcers in the past, and his sister died of stomach cancer at 38 and his dad just died of pancreatic cancer last year (at 68?). Gary's always taken his stress out internally (I just throw mine into my neck), and the most recent problem has been irritable bowel syndrome - extremely, extremely painful. But he's been going to the bathroom blood, and he's been throwing up blood the past few weeks. He's going for a colonoscopy on May 4th. I really, really, really hope they can figure out what's wrong, because he is in SO much pain. He's been on Protonix for a couple of years now - it just doesn't seem to be doing anything anymore.
He's TERRIFIED of hospitals - and I mean a serious, serious phobia. Doc prescribed some valium for the morning of, so I can get him to the hospital. And I'm sure everything will go OK - it's just a colonoscopy, so he comes home that night. I'm just worried about the results.
Definitly sounds like an ulcer to me , he should've gone to the hospital the first time he threw up blood, I had been taking Protonix for a year w/o results/the good news is my doctor gave me antibiotics for the ulcer and Zantac. I havent had the heart burn for a while now.As for the ibs its a whole other story I havent been able to get it under control but there is a medicine called Bentyl that really helps with the cramping by stopping the colon spazims. I Really hope Gary feels better soon,other than the colonoscopy are the going to do a stomach scope ( I forget what its called) thats what I had to do to find my ulcer.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes! Gary is definitely in my thoughts! I am so sorry that he is suffering.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry Gary has such a phobia. That's horrible.
I do hope that they find out what's wrong and are able to help him quickly.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goodness Laurie! Does your life ever calm down? Even for a minute? I hope they find out what is causing all the bleeding. Don't forget to be good to yourself along the way-

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope all turns out for the best with Gary. Sending vibes and scritches and general good thoughts your way.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ah...sending best wishes Gary's way. I hope he will get answers, and be feeling better very soon.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Goodness Laurie! Does your life ever calm down? Even for a minute? I hope they find out what is causing all the bleeding. Don't forget to be good to yourself along the way-
what she said!!!

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The blood that is red (sorry so gross!) when thrown up, or the other end is different than when you throw up what looks like coffee grounds or black from the other end too.
That is actually blood that I am not sure but it is more internal bleeding kinda thing. Neither one is good.
I know Protonix is good stuff though. We use a LOT of it at the hospital. A lot of IV Protonix.
I've also had 2 colonoscomys (sp?). They aren't that bad. You feel like someone has run a tube through your insides, (they have) but it will go away and the pain pills or over the counter stuff should help.
Hopefully they will not find anything, or something they can easily remedy.

You guys have been through so much!!!
Hope things get better for you all soon!!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

The blood that is red (sorry so gross!) when thrown up, or the other end is different than when you throw up what looks like coffee grounds or black from the other end too.
Red blood is fresh, what is described as coffee grounds is simply old blood.