Garlic Chicken 3 Month Old Kitten

Cassic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My new kitten ate 5 nickle sized pieces of garlic chicken 2 nights ago, I had no idea it was poisonous so I'm sick with worry over her. She is 3 months old and weights about a pound the chicken that she ate had garlic powder on it from a bag of ready to make garlic chicken pasta. She has shown no symptoms but she is small she has however not been pooping although that might be stress from the new home. She is very attentive and active and has been regularly eating her cat food and drinking as well as peeing.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect your kitty will be all right. No, garlic isn't good for cats, but yours probably didn't get enough to do her harm. Water will do her good to hopefully flush it out of her system. Keep a close watch on her and ask a vet if she shows any sign of illness. Watch the color of her gums and try and see if she has discolored urine (I know that's pretty difficult to do). Garlic poisoning manifests itself as anemia by destroying the red blood cells, which would cause pale gums, and discolored urine from the kidneys' processing of the dead blood cells. General listlessness is also possible.

Published values of toxic levels of garlic seem to be about 1 gram per kilogram of body weight. That would be about 1/2 gram for your kitty. Kitty might have eaten this much, but not highly probable.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My guess is that the amount of garlic powder was fairly dilute and that she did not ingest as much as you think she might have. It was in a recipe and not a huge amount of actual garlic. But watch her, as was suggested, and since she is still little err on the side of caution and call the vet if something seems not right.