Garlic Bread! Please help!

dncngqn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I’m very concerned as my three year old female cat licked ( maybe one or two licks ) the edge of a piece of garlic bread a few hours ago. She weighs 3.5kg and is in good health. Do I need to be concerned as I know that garlic is very toxic to cats. Thank you very much in advance!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, I’m very concerned as my three year old female cat licked ( maybe one or two licks ) the edge of a piece of garlic bread a few hours ago. She weighs 3.5kg and is in good health. Do I need to be concerned as I know that garlic is very toxic to cats. Thank you very much in advance!
Hi!
For the record, I am not a vet.
It's been a few hours. Is she acting normal? If so, I'd keep an eye on her and follow up with your regular vet as soon as they open.

It always happens on a holiday or weekend (or, in this case, both), doesn't it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dncngqn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she’s acting completely normal, as I said, I don’t think she managed to lick more than the crust, but anxiety sucks tbh. I will definitely be doing so, thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just me speaking personally - also not a vet - but I cannot imagine a lick or two of a piece of garlic bread is going to present any real issues. As said above, just keep an eye on her. The most likely scenario is that she could get an upset stomach from it, but I think even that is highly unlikely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dncngqn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply! Nothing was actually eaten at all; as I said; just a few licks before I caught her, but once again; thank you for the reassurance :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, she’s acting completely normal, as I said, I don’t think she managed to lick more than the crust, but anxiety sucks tbh. I will definitely be doing so, thank you.
Yes, anxiety sucks. In the worst possible way. :hugs:
If it helps, I have a few cats that are semi-feral that showed up out of nowhere, and live on our property. I've seen them outside, and they'll stop and nibble at wild growing garlic. They give it a nibble, and then keep moving. At first it made me nervous. But none of them have ever gotten sick from it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Garlic can cause anemia in cats. I would just keep an eye on her if she was mine. There isn’t much the vet could do for it anyway. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. But, if you are concerned call the ASPCA poison control #