Garden weed identification

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^It's poke, look at the way the berries are clustered.
I have one that's growing behind a crepe myrtle that I could go yank up right now. While you can cook and eat the plant, the berries can be used but the seeds in them are poisonous so it's a good idea for most people (and pets) to not try snacking on them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^It's poke, look at the way the berries are clustered.
I have one that's growing behind a crepe myrtle that I could go yank up right now. While you can cook and eat the plant, the berries can be used but the seeds in them are poisonous so it's a good idea for most people (and pets) to not try snacking on them.
Stray cats and bunnies live back there

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Stray cats and bunnies live back there
It's a common plant. Cats shouldn't be interested (I'd worry about kittens) and rabbits should avoid poke - there's lots of other toxic weeds and the rabbit population isn't hurting anywhere in the world.

As far as his offensive plants that you don't want established in your yard go, the ragweed is probably the worst.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thistle is a noxious weed and nearly impossible to get rid of. Having a neighbor like that certainly won't help matters. I agree to just keep on top of the weeding. Other than that I don't know what else to tell you, sorry!! If something grows over the fence and is hanging into your yard, cut it off and throw it back in his yard.
Good luck!