Garden question

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in NY planting zone 6a and I’m wondering how I can overwinter a potted mum? It’s the kind you see at grocery stores and home centers that they sell in the fall. I cannot plant it in the ground and this is a very special, to me, plant.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not. The ones they sell usually aren’t hardy enough to survive a cold winter. But I have only tried planting them in the garden and perhaps just left in their pot and sheltered there may be a different outcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately mums are poisonous to cats.
I’d be very sad if this mum died. Last October a few days after I lost my beloved Domino kitty to kidney failure I was leaving the grocery store and I saw a smal broken off mum flower. I picked it up and brought it home and put it in water. I was amazed. When weeks later, I saw it had roots! It was just a tiny little stick, so I planted it and put it up on a high shelf away from the kitty cats. It took off and grew beautifully this summer when I put it back outside I always say that Domino sent me this flower as a sign that he was at peace. This is what the flower looks like now and it’s in a 12 inch pot
image.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you put it in a garage or shed? If so, you can try cutting it back once after the First frost (not hard freeze, just frost. Cut it down to about 1-2"), add a few inches of mulch on top and cover the whole thing with an old sheet. Put it in a garage until you are past any risk of frost, very lightly water just to keep the ground moist but not damp Then you can put it outside and remove the mulch plus any dead stems once there is no more risk of frost.

They may or may not come back but at least you gave them a chance.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
And while you’re trying that, you could press two or three of the flowers until they’re dried, and then put them in a small frame. If you search for “pressed flower picture frame” on Amazon, you can get a lot of ideas.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Above and beyond it's emotional connection, you have a very lovely chrysanthemum.

Having done it once before - why not cut a few shoots and try to - again - get them to root. If they cooperate, pot up and keep over winter in a cool, bright place.

And also try Kieka Kieka 's excellent advice about cutting back and winter storage.

A friend back in Connecticut used to winter over her chrysanthemums by cutting back, potting up, and keeping in her cold frame. But if you cannot plant it outdoors I expect you don't have a cold frame.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you put it in a garage or shed? If so, you can try cutting it back once after the First frost (not hard freeze, just frost. Cut it down to about 1-2"), add a few inches of mulch on top and cover the whole thing with an old sheet. Put it in a garage until you are past any risk of frost, very lightly water just to keep the ground moist but not damp Then you can put it outside and remove the mulch plus any dead stems once there is no more risk of frost.

They may or may not come back but at least you gave them a chance.
I agree with this. I'm in Zone 5 (colder) and I've overwintered one for a couple of years. Remembering to water it regularly is the hardest part. It may look dead, but once you put it back outside in the Spring you may see the new growth. Is there a "solid" pot inside the felted bag? I think a solid pot might help insulate better if it's not already in one. Also, you can press some of the flowers just in case too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka I have a basement but it’s dark and it does get cold but not cold enough to freeze my heating oil tank. Do you think this would be acceptable?
C catapault thank you I’ll definitely cut a few florets to try and root.
K Kris107 it’s only in a felt pot but I do have plastic pots I can use or even styrofoam.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kieka Kieka I have a basement but it’s dark and it does get cold but not cold enough to freeze my heating oil tank. Do you think this would be acceptable?
Dark is fine since it will basically be hibernating. I'd put the pot on some cardboard to insulate it from the floor and maybe wrap the pot in an emergency blanket to insulate the pot some and apease the paranoid part of my brain. The soil itself will provide some insulation too but extra around the pot will help keep the temperature above freezing which is what you are aiming for.