Game: Name this food by pic alone (no information)

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

this one's American - yeah it's beef but tell me the exact name and I'll provide the Wikipedia page (it has its own page)

hints:

1. a lot of non-butchers (which means 99.99% of us!) have never heard of this cut

2. starts with the letter H
Hanger Steak?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Here are all the pics I came up with, they are mostly foods from my culture:
these are vine leaves stuffed with rice and spices, and sometimes ground meat. Several Mediterranean countries have this dish, but the one I'm looking for is the Turkish variety:

^Dolmates

And this is made of ground meat, eggplant and has an egg custard on top:

^Moussaka

This is another Mediterranean food, this is the Turkish variety and in this picture, it is made with spinach inside but it doesn't have to have anything green and in most cases it's filled with just cheese:

^Spanakopita

My faaaavorite food !!!!

^ Looks like stuffed peppers

And then something from across the globe, I made this for my Spanish class a while ago. These are from Ecuador- they are patties made of potatoes and are baked, used as an appetizer. This may be a bit more challenging:

^ no idea!

Yummy yummy desssert..Everyone should get this:

^Creme Caramel!! One of my favourites, too.

PS: Can you tell how much I love FOOD!!!
Yeah, not much, eh??

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Yeah, not much, eh??
Nicely done

The potato patties from Ecuador are called llapingachos-I would have never known about them if I hadn't looked up recipes from Ecuador and picked the easiest to cook- it just so happened to be this so I can see how it can be hard to guess ...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Nicely done

The potato patties from Ecuador are called llapingachos-I would have never known about them if I hadn't looked up recipes from Ecuador and picked the easiest to cook- it just so happened to be this so I can see how it can be hard to guess ...
I'd never have got that in a million years -- but the rest are all favourites. Haven't actually had stuffed peppers for a long time, but I used to love it when a Hungarian friend made them. She's dead now and I've lost touch with her husband, so I guess it's over to me, if I want them.

I must see what else I can come up with for this thread, but it'll have to wait until at least tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Hanger Steak?

Weldrwomn
...... Got one for us to guess? If so, please post it. ....... i don't know why I said hanger steak is American. Cow is universal!
(PS - Does your username mean welder woman, like in the movie "Flashdance"?)

Utopia, when I lived in Brooklyn there was a health food store across the street from me. They sold stuffed grape leaves in a small container-of-5 and I would eat them when I had a sour craving (a few times a month, or tabouli). There was no white sauce and the label simply said "stuffed grape leaves" in English. I also like the fiber it contains (Fiber's good for us!) Knowing me, I probably would like my Spanakopita to be *mostly* green
I'm learning so much in this thread, and exercising my Googling skills too. The nice thing about food is that whatever mood you're in, you can find a food to fit it. Like if you want something starchy, it's easy to find a food to fit that. If you want something watery, or sweet, etc., etc. I
food

PS - 43B is coq au vin (rooster cooked in wine)

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I'd never have got that in a million years -- but the rest are all favourites. Haven't actually had stuffed peppers for a long time, but I used to love it when a Hungarian friend made them. She's dead now and I've lost touch with her husband, so I guess it's over to me, if I want them.

I must see what else I can come up with for this thread, but it'll have to wait until at least tomorrow.
yummm stuffed peppers
They are easy to make too!
A good variation is to make them out of the peppers that are sort of pickled in a jar and whole- that way the pepper itself just melts in your mouth and is more savory and juicy..

Utopia, when I lived in Brooklyn there was a health food store across the street from me. They sold stuffed grape leaves in a small container-of-5 and I would eat them when I had a sour craving (a few times a month, or tabouli). There was no white sauce and the label simply said "stuffed grape leaves" in English. I also like the fiber it contains (Fiber's good for us!) Knowing me, I probably would like my Spanakopita to be *mostly* green
I'm learning so much in this thread, and exercising my Googling skills too. The nice thing about food is that whatever mood you're in, you can find a food to fit it. Like if you want something starchy, it's easy to find a food to fit that. If you want something watery, or sweet, etc., etc. I
food

PS - 43B is coq au vin (rooster cooked in wine)
The white sauce is actually just yogurt..Sometimes yogurt with finely chopped garlic mixed together
That sounds gross, but it's not because the yogurt is a little different than US yogurt- it's a lot more sour and a lot more fatty and not so much a creamy consistency like yogurt here..
The spanakopita is actually one variety of pastries that are called "burek"- I didn't expect people to get as specific and actually know spanakopita since I wasn't sure how popular it was. In Greek spanaki= spinach, but other patries that are simply called "burek" have just cheese and phyllo ..

That coq au vin HAS to be yummy!!! I am craving some of that now..I thought it was beef cooked in wine at first and that was my initial guess but rooster in wine is sooo mouth watering

It's
in wine, literally translated..I don't speak French but that stood out to me

And it automatically censored it as though I had said a bad word, all I said was a synonym for rooster ...

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Weldrwomn
...... Got one for us to guess? If so, please post it. ....... i don't know why I said hanger steak is American. Cow is universal!
(PS - Does your username mean welder woman, like in the movie "Flashdance"?)
Yeah, I am a woman who loves to weld. I prefer ballroom dance though...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Yeah, I am a woman who loves to weld. I prefer ballroom dance though...
Oh cool. Arts & craftsy stuff I guess? Do you watch DWTS?

Utopia, using the internet, I found a shop 10 minutes (by foot) from me -They sell spanakopita and the good news for me is they make an all-veg one!

They've been in business in the same location for 48 years! Without the internet, I never would have heard of this shop and it's so near me!