Game - I've done this; have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I haven't. I haven't even been to the "Space Coast" though that's on the agenda.

Ever cook a turtle? I have and agree with the turtles that other things are better . . . .

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
No, but my granny did often and made soup/stew. 

Have you ever eaten reptile of any sort?  Snake, alligator?  I've tried alligator, didn't care for it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. I can't see it being tasty at all. 

Have you ever eaten shark? Someone gave my grandma mako shark steaks when I was a kid. They were awful. Very strong fishy taste. I could have put every drop of tartar sauce ever made on that and it still would have been awful. She loved it because she loved any kind of strong tasting fish. 

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Only once at a restaurant when my husband ordered the shark steak. I took one bite, it tasted like tuna gone bad....really, really bad.  I'm shocked it didn't draw cats from miles around!

When I was a child my mother cooked squirrel often.  I refused to eat it, looked like a cooked rat, but I know others that love it.  Have you ever eaten squirrel?  Fried, dumplings, etc??

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Only once at a restaurant when my husband ordered the shark steak. I took one bite, it tasted like tuna gone bad....really, really bad.  I'm shocked it didn't draw cats from miles around!

When I was a child my mother cooked squirrel often.  I refused to eat it, looked like a cooked rat, but I know others that love it.  Have you ever eaten squirrel?  Fried, dumplings, etc??
Yeah that' how I felt about the shark back then. It's still one of the worst things I've ever tasted. 

No. I have had too many squirrel friends over the years. My late DH had a dear squirel friend he called Mrs S that used to come in the screened in porch behind our house and take food from him. She deliberately made her nest in the tree right behind our house because she knew he'd feed her and her babies. He did. I don't think he'd look too kindly on me eating their relatives. I used to call her MAMA S and that offended him. He insisted she be called MRS S because she had babies. Therefore she had to be married. I always wondered who performed the ceremony- Reverend Blue Jay? 

Have you ever eaten duck eggs?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops, too slow, nope, I never tasted duck eggs but my aunt had a pet duck who laid an egg almost every morning, which my aunt ate for breakfast!

I've had shark, many times; it's my dad's favorite seafood. I always thought it didn't taste too fishy :lol3:. But it's been a few years so maybe I'm not remembering correctly. I wonder if it depends how it's prepared?

I have never eaten squirrel, or rabbit, ar any other wild game except venison. Well, and alligator bits in Florida. . .now that tasted like bad fish. Bleh.

Have you ever petted a squirrel? A friend of mine tamed one at her house and it would let you pet it and feed it peanuts out of your hand. His name was Chubby ;).

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oops, too slow, nope, I never tasted duck eggs but my aunt had a pet duck and had an egg almost every morning fo4 breakfast!

I've had shark, many times; it's my dad's favorite seafood. I always thought it didn't taste too fishy
. But it's been a few years so maybe I'm not remembering correctly. I wonder if it depends how it's prepared?

I have never had squirrel, or rabbit, ar any other wild game except venison. Well, and alligator bits in Florida. . .now that tasted like bad fish. Bleh.

Have you ever petted a squirrel? A friend of mine tamed one at her house and it would let you pet it and feed it peanuts out of your hand. His name was Chubby
It very well could be the way it's prepared (shark). I was maybe 10 at the time so it was over 35 years ago. I want to say she broiled it. It was SUPER fishy. Then again, most fish is too fishy for me.

I have not. DH did. He was working at a local school and the squirrels had no fear of humans. He was sitting on the tailgate of the truck one day eating a peanut butter sandwich when a squirrel ran up his leg, up his side and perched on his shoulder. He told me that it looked at the sandwich like, "are you gonna eat that? I'd like some please". He handed it a small piece and then more until the sandwich was gone. He was a painter so he was there about a week. They had quite a few sandwiches together. He was allowed to pet the little one's head while it ate. 

Have you ever seen a peacock in the wild?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It very well could be the way it's prepared (shark). I was maybe 10 at the time so it was over 35 years ago. I want to say she broiled it. It was SUPER fishy. Then again, most fish is too fishy for me.

I have not. DH did. He was working at a local school and the squirrels had no fear of humans. He was sitting on the tailgate of the truck one day eating a peanut butter sandwich when a squirrel ran up his leg, up his side and perched on his shoulder. He told me that it looked at the sandwich like, "are you gonna eat that? I'd like some please". He handed it a small piece and then more until the sandwich was gone. He was a painter so he was there about a week. They had quite a few sandwiches together. He was allowed to pet the little one's head while it ate. 

Have you ever seen a peacock in the wild?
​Hmm. Shark's good! Too good, alas. It's full of mercury and vulnerable to overfishing. Exquisite irony, being able to eat something that could eat you . . . .

As for the peacocks, depends on what you mean by "in the wild." If you mean, not in a cage, yes. We're overrun with them here in Southern California in some places, especially on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. They screech, and poop all over the place. Sometimes they get aggressive with kids and dogs. (Cats usually have the sense to avoid them!) Some people love them (they are beautiful) others find them a nuisance.

Have you eaten octopus? I do, a lot, and it's delicious.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

​Hmm. Shark's good! Too good, alas. It's full of mercury and vulnerable to overfishing. Exquisite irony, being able to eat something that could eat you . . . .

As for the peacocks, depends on what you mean by "in the wild." If you mean, not in a cage, yes. We're overrun with them here in Southern California in some places, especially on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

Have you eaten octopus? I do, a lot, and it's delicious.
Maybe some are better than others. The one I tried was mako. Grandma loved it. Us kids? Not a bit.

We have peacocks running around here in Florida too. 

Yes, I have tried octopus. I prefer squid. 

Have you ever tried crawfish?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops, too slow again! Yes, I've tried crawfish. I think the colloquial name "mudbug" pretty much sums up the taste :/.

I used to eat takoyaki from street vendors in Japan. Not very many takoyaki vendors here! :lol3:;)

Have you ever eaten eggs boiled in hot springs?

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops, too slow again! Yes, I've tried crawfish. I think the colloquial name "mudbug" pretty much sums up the taste :/.

I used to eat takoyaki from street vendors in Japan. Not very many takoyaki vendors here!

Have you ever eaten eggs boiled in hot springs?
​Never. I'm not a big fan of boiled eggs.

Have you ever eaten buffalo?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it's kind of a thing in this state, lol. There used to be a local restaurant that sold bison burgers but they closed so I haven't had any in a while. The grocery stores sell bison meat but I've never gone out of my way to buy any. Just tastes like lean beef.

Have you ever seen a jackrabbit in the wild? I didn't even know that they lived in this part of the state but my dogs rustled one up a few years ago. Obviously it got away pretty easily ;).

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it's kind of a thing in this state, lol. There used to be a local restaurant that sold bison burgers but they closed so I haven't had any in a while. The grocery stores sell bison meat but I've never gone out of my way to buy any. Just tastes like lean beef.

Have you ever seen a jackrabbit in the wild?
Yes, in Ohio and California.

Have you ever eaten wild rabbit of any kind?

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope. I've been a vegetarian since I was 14, and I never had anything even vaguely adventurous as a child.

However, I did eat fish for 4 years in there, and during that time I ate shark, specifically fermented shark in Iceland (hákarl). My friends said it tasted like strong cheese and smelled like ammonia, but I thought it had hardly any flavor, like a mild white fish, and couldn't smell it at all. I didn't really care for the texture though.

Have you eaten a strange regional/national dish?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. I've been a vegetarian since I was 14, and I never had anything even vaguely adventurous as a child.

However, I did eat fish for 4 years in there, and during that time I ate shark, specifically fermented shark in Iceland (hákarl). My friends said it tasted like strong cheese and smelled like ammonia, but I thought it had hardly any flavor, like a mild white fish, and couldn't smell it at all. I didn't really care for the texture though.

Have you eaten a strange regional/national dish?
​Yes. Chinese coagulated blood cake. Steamed duck feet. Pickled beef tendon. (That Icelandic fermented shark sure sounds strange, like Swedish lutefisk.)

I've been to two rip-roarin' Jewish weddings. Have you been to any?

Last edited:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to a Jewish wedding before (But oohh would love to someday)

I've been to Russia. How about you?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
No, I've never been to Russia. 

I've been stuck in an elevator for over an hour once.  Have you ever been stuck in an elevator?

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't *Knock on wood*

I was born with four kidneys, but had two and a half removed. Have you ever had an organ or body part be removed from your body?

Last edited:

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, an ex girlfriend of mine had a pair as pets. They were very sweet and cuddly. (But oh man their poop stinks extremely strongly, even with their enclosure cleaned out every day.)

What animals other than cats have you had as pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.