GAME - HOW TRIVIAL!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Wales is a constituent country of the UK.

What is the largest island in French Polynesia?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
@Primula   IN
More correct would be of Great Britain. (Nobody has a United Kingdom passport.)
Tahiti

Interesting.  I found this explanation.  

"So in summary: Great Britain = England, Scotland, and Wales. UK  = England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland (and the full name is the “United Kingdom  of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”) England = Just the part of the island that is England."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boris, I stand corrected. My old blue passports are clearly stated to be "British" passports, but now the passports clearly state it is a United Kingdom ... passport. I've lived in America for 40 years so am out-of-date on many things.

Last edited:

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why was Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother not called Elizabeth II, yet her daughter is?

Umm because she married into the Royal Family? I'm assuming. 

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I was about to post this when I saw it had already been answered.  The other answer is more concise, but I thought I would post this anyway.

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was not a monarch, but the wife of a monarch, George VI.  She was not of the royal family and was not qualified to be the monarch.  When her husband passed, her daughter, who was of the royal family and was qualified to be monarch, ascended to the throne with the name Queen Elizabeth II.  To avoid confusion, Queen Elizabeth II's mother was then called Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
The Golden Wattle (Acacia pycnantha)

What is the name of the award given to animal actors for excellent performances in movies?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boris, I stand corrected. My old blue passports are clearly stated to be "British" passports, but now the passports clearly state it is a United Kingdom ... passport. I've lived in America for 40 years so am out-of-date on many things.
Boris, returning quickly to this. Found this link which explains (to me also) the change in passports. Still think the original blue one is the very best.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36952010

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was not a monarch, but the wife of a monarch, George VI.  She was not of the royal family and was not qualified to be the monarch.  When her husband passed, her daughter, who was of the royal family and was qualified to be monarch, ascended to the throne with the name Queen Elizabeth II.  To avoid confusion, Queen Elizabeth II's mother was then called Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.
Good answer Boris, but let me add something. You might ask why QEII's husband is not King Philip? His wife is queen so doesn't that entitle him to be king? The answer is that a King's queen is a courtesy title - Queen Consort (rather than Queen Regnant). A reigning queen's husband does not receive that courtesy. Of course there have been kings & queens on the throne (William & Mary, e.g.), but only when both were monarchs in their own right.

What is the name of the award given to animal actors for excellent performances in movies?
Haven't a clue. Lassies?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was sure Margd would have figured this out by now. Anyone want a clue?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've been trying to figure this out and have learned all kinds of things about the custom of Afternoon Tea, including that Anna the Duchess of Bedford is credited with popularizing it in the 1830s.  When it came to writing about tea cakes, I thought Jane Austen would be a likely candidate but the writer whose name popped up as the most likely is Charles Dickens.    Still, I have this feeling there is some famous poem, "Ode to a Small Tea Cake," that I am missing!

My answer is: I don't know.