Gah!: Property Agents!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too right, Amanda!

Thing is, it's not particularly east to get real/decent swords round here - law and such like! Plus my front door in in a teeny room! But I bet even holding one would be scary enough!

The thing is, had I have been able to get in there before they came in the house, I have a 5' timber post in there that wouldn't be such a friendly greeting!!!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Too right, Amanda!

Thing is, it's not particularly east to get real/decent swords round here - law and such like! Plus my front door in in a teeny room! But I bet even holding one would be scary enough!

The thing is, had I have been able to get in there before they came in the house, I have a 5' timber post in there that wouldn't be such a friendly greeting!!!
hmm... that would work...

did they knock at all? the guys here always knock before entering... and every place I've rented in the past does that... minimum of 24 hours notice and then when they show up, they knock first... if no one responds, then they let themselves in.

You mean there's no sword shops on the other side of the Pond? hmph. Find a local SCA fiend... I mean friend (though the SCA'ers do tend to be rather fanatical about their group) and have them invite you to an event... the merchants there have usable blades for decent prices... the mass-produced blades are for show, not usage... sad, really... I'd love to use my Scimitar or Flamberge (sp?) on a few ... well I'm not a violent sort... but if given the opportunity...

Amanda

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

I think that burgulars/intruders/uninvited guests etc should take note!!

Do not mess with crazy TCS cat ladies!!
Currently, here in Chicago, I only have a few knives and one sword. The lone sword is a Cane Sword... not really high end either... but once I'm back on the West Coast... my swords are one fo the first things I'm bringing back from my parent's house.

Yes... beware of us crazy ones!!!

Amanda

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

hmm... that would work...

did they knock at all? the guys here always knock before entering... and every place I've rented in the past does that... minimum of 24 hours notice and then when they show up, they knock first... if no one responds, then they let themselves in.

You mean there's no sword shops on the other side of the Pond? hmph. Find a local SCA fiend... I mean friend (though the SCA'ers do tend to be rather fanatical about their group) and have them invite you to an event... the merchants there have usable blades for decent prices... the mass-produced blades are for show, not usage... sad, really... I'd love to use my Scimitar or Flamberge (sp?) on a few ... well I'm not a violent sort... but if given the opportunity...

Amanda
Oh, they did knock - but apparently at the same time as letting themselves in!!

I have also stated to the agent in the past that I do not want anyone entering my home when I am not there!! Do they listen?....

We are supposed to get 24 hours notice, but not this time!! The agents blamed the gas check company!!

They will recieve a rather explanatory letter tomorrow though!!

There are blade shops, but they are all the very pretty ones!
There's a martial arts place in Liverpool (deep dark back streets) but they are extremely expensive (and illiegal)

I can totally agree with the violence if the need arises!!!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Currently, here in Chicago, I only have a few knives and one sword. The lone sword is a Cane Sword... not really high end either... but once I'm back on the West Coast... my swords are one fo the first things I'm bringing back from my parent's house.

Yes... beware of us crazy ones!!!

Amanda
It sounds like you have an impressive collection!!

If anyone read this thread, I think they would be instilled with fear!!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

There are blade shops, but they are all the very pretty ones!
There's a martial arts place in Liverpool (deep dark back streets) but they are extremely expensive (and illiegal)

I can totally agree with the violence if the need arises!!!
Here in the states, you cannot carry a concealed weapon [hence the reason my cane sword stays at home]. Also, double edged blades, such as my Viking broadsword, Flamberge, and Rapier, are also illegal to carry. I've seen or heard of nothing about single edge blades... my Scimitar is mostly single edge [though it's really not actually a scimitar... more like a pirate's cutlass...] except near the tip where the live edge comes back on the other side [I can draw a diagram, if you wish...]

At conventions and faires, you must have any blades or fake weapons 'peace-bonded' which basically means you get a zip-tie and use it such a way that the 'weapon' cannot be unsheathed. You can't carry any realistic looking gun, toy or not, outside of faire/convention limits. For example, I used to dress as Dana Scully, from X-Files. I had a very illegal BB Gun made like a Sig Sauer P220... which was the gun Scully used for at least one or two seasons. A former friend brought it back from Japan for me. if it's 'peace-bonded' into it's holster, I can wear it around the convention... if I'm going off-site for lunch or anything, I cannot wear it... I must put it away safely. Same goes for my 'ray-gun' for another costume... so NOT realistic looking (spray-painted silver with the orange tip showing), but still must be peace-bonded and cannot wear it off convention grounds. peace-bonded swords I have worn off convention grounds... though I'm probably not supposed to. The Denny's where we always went to eat off-site understood that Memorial Day Weekend was when the nut-jobs would be coming to eat.

I understand why 'live' blades [when they are sharp enough to do damage] would be illegal in most places... most of us who collect them do mostly for show anyway... I wouldn't dare wield any of my swords outside my dwelling. Answering the door... around my apartment... yeah... but if I stepped outside my apartment, I can be arrested... I'll carry them to friends' houses... as I did with my antique knife last weekend... but only unsheath the blade in a private setting...

Though, personally, I think swords are safer than guns... but that's a discussion for IMO.

As for the violence? I know of a few terrorists who deserve to be run through with a nice piece of steel... again... an IMO topic...

Must have coffee... or another Chai... wish Starbucks had a drive through. I'm picking up more moving boxes today... urgh.

Amanda

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have a sword. I keep it tucked away because its for faire use (dont be fooled it is VERY SHARP and ot so pretty) i think i am gonna keep it by the door

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it can be a nice fancy one... but IMO, to truly scare off any bad guys, it should look like it's been through a war... most of mine are 'pretty' swords and knives... I don't have any pics of my other blades in CA. Ahh, someday soon...

Here's pics of what I have here in Chicago.
Shot One

Shot Two This is the antique knife. The only thing I've been able to find out is that it was most likely a turn-of-the-century 'tourist souvenir' item from the far east... The Ying/Yang symbol was added later by some moron... That's our best guess... but the other coins are original... the blade is folded steel... i.e. VERY nice... I jut need to find an antique knife expert.

Shot Three

Shot Four

Shot Five

Shot Six

Amanda

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All this sword talk I had to jump in.

I am more partial to a Taurus 357. Revolvers never jam and you can't out run a bullet. Now I know a lot of you are saying, "a Gun, I have kids in the house, no way". We don't have any kids but will someday. The beautiful thing about that gun is the hammer has a lock on it. Only one key will open it and it you lose the key you have to reorder one from the factory. When it is locked it is physically impossable to pull the trigger. I go for fear factor. All you have to do is **** it and say freeze, trust me no one will move. My DH wants one set up like a cops gun, spotlight and lazer beam. Imagin that, a guy breacking in, halfway through the window and all they see is a small red dot right one their chest, hear the gun **** and then get blinded gy the light. No one is going anywhere untill the cops get there and take the guy down.
I use to be anti-gun untill we had someone try to pull the security bars off our bedroom window in the middle of the night. Its one of the most terrorizing feelings in the world. Needless to say we went out and bought a gun the next day. I sleep much better now. I also enjoy shooting. My DH says there is nothing sexyer than a girl with a gun.
As for the laws, in CA you can carry a sword on your hip as long as it is in full veiw. All knives have to be 3 1/2 inches or smaller and no switch blades. Some states like Texas and Nevada let anyone carry a gun as long as it is holstered. At least thats what I have heard. I need to look it up to be sure. Each state is differant.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well....

I received a letter this morning from the property agents (incidentally, the MD apparently passed it to the Senior Branch Manager
)

The whole theme of the letter is particularly bland and nondescript! They appear to have bypassed most of the details outlined in my letter to them and they also - once again - apologise!!!

I had explained the whole situation in full, clearly stating the discomfort that I am now feeling in my home - only to find that it has not been taken into account by them!

Sorry will not make me feel safe leaving my home unattended or taking a long relaxing bath - due to fear of someone else entering!!!

The other thing that caused surprise is that the guy writing the letter (the "Senior Branch Manager") doesn't appear to know his grammar!!

All in all, I feel highly let down!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If that was me another letter would be going back thanking them for replying, but to take note that if it ever happend again you would be seeking legal advice on the situation..

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

If that was me another letter would be going back thanking them for replying, but to take note that if it ever happend again you would be seeking legal advice on the situation..
Oh there's definitely another letter going back!!!! Plus, if I'm still not satisfied, I'll have my Dad write them a letter - as he's Guarantor for me!

I'm just hoping that the agents will get some feedback regarding the cc to my Landlady!!

EDIT: That's the thing you see, Susan! By what they did, they have pretty much voided our tenancy agreement!! So the law is pretty much on our side anyway!

Another point is, that they completely bypassed my quote of the relevant part of the agreement!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, swords are illegal, so how about a reciprocating saw with an obscenely long blade?

"Officer, it's a tool!"

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Hmmm, swords are illegal, so how about a reciprocating saw with an obscenely long blade?

"Officer, it's a tool!"
Sounds good to me!
I knew I could rely on you, Jan, to give me a good laugh!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they're going to ignore you like that, I say put that lock on and stuff giving them a key. They'll find it on there where they send someone round without proper notice. Otherwise, how would they even find out? I say this as a building manager who's been very annoyed when a tenant changed the locks- but at the end of the day, you live there and you have a right to feel safe in your own home.