Gagging licking lips lethargic 😪

alexand2cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My resident cat (1y 6months) became ill all of the sudden. Yesterday she was okay until the afternoon - she was eating, being herself etc. In the afternoon she started sleeping a lot and I have noticed she has started licking her lips and smacking them what followed with kinda gagging/about to be sick reflex but not vomiting (yet?). She is not interested in her food nor water. I gave her some paste that she licked and some chicken water that was in her wet food and she licked that but she didn't want anything firm. Also when I tickled under her chin she gagged and looked uncomfortable. She wasn't interested in her toys and she seems to be lethargic. I was thinking to call my vet but my bf said to give her one more day and see if she gets better. I booked a morning appointment for tomorrow with my vet so I will go first in the morning.
I am extremely worried as she is my baby and I love her so much. I feel so guilty too. It just horrible situation.

There are a few factors I suspect might possibly be a cause however I don't know as I am not a vet...

*We have got a new kitten (4 months old) 2 weeks ago and for the past few days, they were finally allowed to meet. They are not the best friends but they get along, even slept close to each other the other day. The little one annoys her sometimes with his hyper energy and she is really attentive to where he is and what is he doing. I really worry that my older cat illness might be stress-related because of a kitten and I feel horribly guilty for taking another cat in and feel like her illness is my fault.
*on Saturday we let them have a day together without limiting contact as we were both home and could supervise. Could it impact her?
*the little cat had diarrhoea since we got him (fosters suspected it is related to foodnintolerance and sensitive stomach) I have been giving him probiotics and he got better for the past few days. He was dewormed twice but could he infected the other cat anyhow (she is fully vaccinated)?
*the day when it developed I have fed them with treats- wild freedom dried chicken hearts. I am wondering if something could be stuck in her throat? Because it started happening shortly after they got these treats... I looked into her throat but cannot see anything.

Please please advise. 😢

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lip smacking and gagging typically indicates nausea. It's possible for a treat to be stuck in the throat somewhere, further down where you can't see it. The vet would be able to x ray the throat and determine if anything is stuck and remove anything. The vet will also do a general exam of the cat. I would ask for blood work to be done as well to be.

The treats are still fine to give, just smash them up into smaller pieces so they don't cause any issues.

I'd get the cat to the vet today if possible. Cats that don't eat for more than a day or two are at risk of fatty liver disease. if a treat is stuck in the throat, the cat won't be able to eat much of anything.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be having a reaction to something in that treat, I wouldn't give her more, especially since it happened right after. Right now just get ANYTHING into her. That smacking is nausea, like said above so it will be tough. Offer her some lickable treats, or pouch food that would have more gravy for her to lick, you could pick out some of the bigger pieces. Or something really bland like roasted shaved deli turkey. As long as she takes a couple of licks a few times a day, that is good.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
aww, poor baby ! usually if kitties act sick , they are sick. probably not just stress from kitten. one thing that is good for sick tummies is canned pumpkin. PLAIN, no spices.. and it is moist, too. If she will take a few nibbles it might help until you see the doc. please let us know how you make out at the vet ! 💕 :dizzycat:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That definitely sounds like nausea. No matter the reason, dehydration is an enemy. I would rub white karo corn syrup or honey on her gums and syringe small amounts of unflavored Pedialyte into her mouth. If you don't have a small plastic eyedropper, ask to buy a needleless syringe from the pharmacy - sometimes they will just give it to you as they usually have them at the pickup window for children's liquid medication. Aim the Pedialyte into the cheek pouch between the jaw and cheek so your cat doesn't inhale the.liquid down the wrong pipe.
A vet visit is definitely in order - this could be a kidney or urinary problem or even a gut problem such as ingesting a bit of dental floss, hair tie or rubberband.
Please keep us posted!