Gabapentin Question..

Mrwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 18 year old cat. He was recently put on gabapentin for arthritis a couple weeks ago after a vet ER visit. He's had diabetes for about 8 years and on insulin and his glucose levels have been normal.

When we got back from the ER vet I was giving him 100mg gabapentin every 8 hours. That was ok, just really wiped him out. After talking to my normal vet we went to 100mg every 12hrs. He was much better but very sleepy all morning and evening. We then went with 100mg once a day. He's been doing ok and it seems like he's doing much better.

Well, here's the reason for my post... He accidentally got a 2nd dose about 7hrs after the 1st one. Since I was originally giving him 1 every 8hrs.. it shouldn't be a big deal, right? They make capsules all the way up to 300mg but I'm sure that's to sedate a cat.

I just want some reassurance that it's not a dire situation.

I know most will probably say ask the vet, but that isn't an option at the moment. They are closed and there's no other one where I am.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First I would like to welcome you to TCS! :wave3: I'm sorry your cat is having a problem with arthritis. I can understand your concern about giving him the second dose of gabapentin a little sooner but since you waited 7 hrs. and it only happened once it should be fine. However, you're right about contacting your vet if you want further reassurance. Keep an eye on him and if you notice any unusual change(s) then by all means call your vet.

Best of luck, please keep us posted on his progress and feel free to read some of the Articles and other resources on the forum. :alright:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think he will be okay. Mine has had 2 gaba pills back to back (same dosage), but then again he is a big boy (18 pounds). How much does he weigh? I am thinking he has been on it awhile, so this would be less dire than if it had been his first time on the medicine. How does he seem this morning? For the record, mine gets 100 mg nightly and he is a large cat. So I think that is good
you and the vet lowered the dosage. Seemed like a lot at first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea, he is ok now :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is also a large maine coon cat.