Future Kitten Parent With Concerns And Questions

H_Wolf08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My name is Hanna and my boyfriend and I have officially decided we are at the perfect point in our lives to welcome a new feline friend. We have fallen in love with a young grey tabby female that has 3 more weeks til she can be spayed and then come home to us. We have gone to visit her a couple times and every time we do her brother always catches our eye. This is where I have a few questions...
We are both full time college students and part time workers that do have time to spend with a kitten, but will also be gone for long points throughout the day, do you think 2 kittens would really help them keep each other entertained and happy?
My boyfriend suffers from psoriasis and cat hair doesnt trigger it too bad, we are just going to keep the house nice and clean, but are worried 2 kittens might produce way too much hair?
We are in general concerned about a male kitten, I have heard stories of them acting out more and being more temperamental then female kittens. Does anyone have experience with this too?
I am personally falling more in love with the male kitten as well, so if one kitten does end up being better for us I really want to make sure that male kittens dont have problems more often then females.

Thank you for your help!
Hanna Wolf

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think two cats is any more then one really. If anything it makes it easier on the human because they will play with each other and help each other learn. There will be slightly more hair but it isn't anything serious (unless you get long hair and then frequent brushing helps there). I have cat allergies with three cats and the main difference for me is taking two allergy medications instead of just one.

As for behavior and temperament, my female is more moody and saucy then the boys. My boy is super relaxed and easy going compared to her. I prefer boys to be completely honest, the girl just happened honestly. Of course, mine are spayed and neutered so that is a factor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

H_Wolf08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think two cats is any more then one really. If anything it makes it easier on the human because they will play with each other and help each other learn. There will be slightly more hair but it isn't anything serious (unless you get long hair and then frequent brushing helps there). I have cat allergies with three cats and the main difference for me is taking two allergy medications instead of just one.

As for behavior and temperament, my female is more moody and saucy then the boys. My boy is super relaxed and easy going compared to her. I prefer boys to be completely honest, the girl just happened honestly. Of course, mine are spayed and neutered so that is a factor.
Thank you for the help! I am mostly concerned about them deciding to get into trouble together too, but have heard single cats can become lonely and hide often. What has your experience been? Just dont wanna set myself up for a cat that hides all the time or two that just cause a mess.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the help! I am mostly concerned about them deciding to get into trouble together too, but have heard single cats can become lonely and hide often. What has your experience been? Just dont wanna set myself up for a cat that hides all the time or two that just cause a mess.
Depends on how they interact really. I have a mischievous one, a calm one and a little brat (whom I love despite her brattiness). I've had duos that ignored each other and duos who cuddle together. If you have a troublemaker it doesn't matter if it's a Singleton or a duo; you'll have a troublemaker. Hiding is much the same and doesn't really change if you have one or ten. The biggest thing to stop them hiding is making them comfortable and involved in the family in a way they like.

Training them from day 1 and being consistent with expectations helps. Cats will always push the boundaries but as long as they know that rules are the same regardless of the human or day, they will usually do better. They are don't respond to punishment, reward good behavior and ignore the bad. My guys from day 1 are told to get off the table. I use the same words and motion my hand to point down. When they were kittens when I reached them I would pick them up and out them on the floor without emotion and ignore then for a few seconds after. They learned that they got nothing out of going on the table. Now as adults if they test it I just have to look at them and they get down. They push it less but they do try from time to time. A lot of cat trouble is just to get attention because good or bad, attention is attention to a cat. Dropping glasses off tables gives them attention so some cats learn to do that for attention. So if you give then attention when they walk in the room and withhold it when they misbehave they learn what is good and bad.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I concur that 2 kittens (and cats, if bonded) are easier than 1. My adult grandson who now lives with us has very bad psoriasis but it did not worsen with his moving in to a household full of cats. My grandson has been unable to tolerate the common medications but following a strict diet plus medical marijuana helps, especially in ointments.
Please keep us updated!