FURminator safety?

straycat212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this really safe to use?, Nikolai doesn't like it. I'm really gentle with it, as I'm afraid of hurting him.
I watched a mini vid on their site, & the groomer seems to really dig into the cats fur.
As much as I hate having fur all around the apartment, the last thing I want to do is cause him any harm & break what bond we have.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am reasonably confident that the FURminator is safe, if used properly.  I know people who use and love the FURminator.

That said, I tried one.  Both of my cats, especially Lucy, HATED it.  No matter how gentle I stroked her with the brush, she cringed.  Plus, it left their fur somewhat uneven, jagged.  Now I just brush my cats every day with a regular, bristle brush.  The cats are happy and the regular grooming cuts down on stray cat fur flying around my house.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

straycat212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's exactly what he does, cringes, where as if I use the glove with the rubber nubs he's relaxed, and purrs.
I thought maybe I was doing it wrong, & hurting him.
Guess it's not for my boy, thank you

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie hates the fulminator. 

He is short haired. I find it cuts and thins out his fur, a lot....

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak for everyone, but my short-but-thick haired cat dislikes it after several strokes of it when done on his back; on his belly, he immediately complains.

But it can be useful times when his regular brush doesn't seem to be picking up anything, like today, so a few swipes of the de shedder brush and it did seem to loosen his fur. I don't know how your cat is,but from here to the end of March he will lose a lot of his undercoat.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My late lotto was quite happy with the FURminator and the amount of fur it took off was amazing. Lotto was a very untidy longhaired cat. Didn't matter how much I groomed him he always looked a mess. How I miss that lovely mess.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you use the furminator you have to use a more gentle detangling brush first.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As a quick follow-up, I picked up a FurBeGone brush.  It's made from soft rubber and does a great job of getting out undercoat and transitional fur.  Both of my cats love it.  I'd recommend it to anyone who has been unhappy with the FURminator.