furminator removes the most fur from the butt?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using the furminator about a month and I noticed it removes the most fur when I comb over the lower back region of my cats, especially just in front of the tail. I can comb lots through the rest of their bodies with little hair being removed, but it removes a sizeable tuft of hair with every stroke when it is near their lower backs. My cats shed quite a bit for being shorthairs (I'm always picking up tumbleweeds from the corners of rooms), so is this just fur that they can't reach with their tongues which never gets dislodged, or do cats have a lot more hair there than other parts of their bodies?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I always get more fur from just in front of the tail from my cats, too, but can't tell you why. Just don't overdo it. I'll comb them out with the furminator for no more than 5 minutes at a time, maybe twice a week during shedding season. Any more than that at their fur starts getting really thin.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have noticed that as well. I just don't think cats can reach and groom that particular area as well. I don't spend more than about five minutes furminating either, same as Goldycat. great tool but you have to be gentle because you can really thin the coat out with it.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're always petting your cat in the same direction.

Your cat is always grooming itself in the same direction.

If you always swept in the direction of one corner of a room, you'd get a lot of buildup there too. Plus, its hard for them to reach the base of their tail.

So pretty normal, and nothing to worry about.

Buttercup really just doesn't shed at all, but her brother gets done once a week.

dorothyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love the Furminator and so does Bob. She does her cute dance (NOT the same as happy dance!) when she sees it. Removes fluff evenly everywhere, but she's a Himmy, so all hair. No harm so far, been using for over a year.

zarra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a himmy too and the furminator does not work for me. Festus's fur is soo thick and the prongs on the furminator is only about 1/4" in length. All it does is combs the top surface.