Furminator: How often, and how much??

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holly molly - Used the furminator on the kitties today for the first time, and I think I can make a pillow from all that fur!
Anyway, I have a couple of questions though: There are some reports of cats getting bald spots because of it, so...... How often should the terminator be used, and how much? Do we just keep going for as long as fur is coming off? When do we stop?
Thanks!!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got two DSH - when I got the furminator, I used it just a little bit every morning, followed by a soft brush, and my kitties never went bald, but gradually I got less and less hair off every use. Now, I tend to use the furminator once a week, maybe twice at most, with a little soft brushing every day, which seems to be the happy balance.

I do remember that first day - even though I had been using the zoom groom on them, I had enough for a hair pillow, easy!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only use the Furminator about once a month on my medium haired kitty. The rest of the time, I use a regular brush or a Zoom Groom. I brush my kitty several times a week, too.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm planning on getting that for Jake so I'm going to ask something real quick...I was wondering is it easy to use- do the cats feel anything and does it hurt when the hairs get pulled if anyone knows? Because Jake hates being brushed so if it goes less smooth than a brush I might as well forget about it-he won't let me use it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I'm planning on getting that for Jake so I'm going to ask something real quick...I was wondering is it easy to use- do the cats feel anything and does it hurt when the hairs get pulled if anyone knows? Because Jake hates being brushed so if it goes less smooth than a brush I might as well forget about it-he won't let me use it.
I would compare it to a comb - tryto comb him (fine comb), and see how he reacts - I think it is the closest feeling... My cats have no problem with it; they love it!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl didn't care for the zoom groom that much, but loved the Furminator so much that within two days she was showing me her belly for combing, and will come running when she sees me getting the furminator out of its basket. My boy loved it right off, but he loved the zoom groom too.

It's easy to use, and their web site has a video to show you. I got mine at Petsmart - both the company, and Petsmart, will take it back if you have a receipt.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use my furminator once a week- Annabelle looooves it. She'll jump on my lap if she sees it in my hand. I think Isabelle is too sensitive for it. I did notice a bald spot on Annabelle when I first started using it- so I cut down now long I brushed her and how often. I usually brush her for about 10 minutes once a week with the furminator.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started off with using the Furminator once a week, but I haven't used it in months now. Personally, I found that most of the fur that came off in the blades were "cut" off rather than loose ones. And after each time, I noticed that Tofu had a thinner coat...and I didn't use it excessively either. So I just use a slicker every day on him now.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use it weekly, sometimes bi-weekly if it is shedding season. We do use a regular close-tooth comb every day. (that's for Stanley --DMH) He loves to be brushed and he jumps up on the bed expecting it every day

Bella gets the zoom groom because it seems to pick up the most hair and irritates her skin the least (DSH--grumpy about brushing) I rarely use the furminator on her, it makes her roll her skin a lot and we get so much hair from the zoom groom anyway.

New guy (Barney) is not a fan of being brushed. I am trying to keep up with the comb and just wear him down, but he does get pretty violent if you try to brush his tail
I don't think I could get the furminator anywhere near him.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Holly molly - Used the furminator on the kitties today for the first time, and I think I can make a pillow from all that fur!
Anyway, I have a couple of questions though: There are some reports of cats getting bald spots because of it, so...... How often should the terminator be used, and how much? Do we just keep going for as long as fur is coming off? When do we stop?
Thanks!!
I have one and I used to use it on Persi but I actually detected that Persi was evolving into a shorter and shorter haired cat so I never use it any more. I WANT a long haired cat and that thing just pulls out to much hair. I just use a comb now which does not pull out useful fur.
I never had a long haired cat before and I really want it to be as long as possible. So I guess it would depend on what your motive was...

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

I am not the one to ask, since I frequently leave small bald spots on my kitties
HAHA, I can see lots of us have over used this hair remover.
Yep, I made my cat have a bald spot on her neck once.
I was thankfull she could not see it

Well Iwould just say use with caution maybe just 1 per week or every
other week and just go over fur 1 time per area not over and over the
same area or yes they become very very thin or bald.
I mostly use the zoom groom and tight teeth human comb myself daily so she
does not become bald.

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel like the worlds worst mother. I bought the furminator for my female kitty since she's been getting older/arthritic. She's having trouble grooming and she loved this brush!! And, I was brushing her almost daily, thinking this brush was like any other. Well, tonight, I was noticing some 'coarse' hair...and I've balded her!! On her shoulder and a bit further down. I feel HORRID!! I'm not sure how this happened, but I won't be using this brush on her anymore----oddly enough, the store never charged me for it (their system kept freezing) I will be taking it back and let them know it wasn't the best for my kitty.

I still feel like a criminal :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I feel like the worlds worst mother. I bought the furminator for my female kitty since she's been getting older/arthritic. She's having trouble grooming and she loved this brush!! And, I was brushing her almost daily, thinking this brush was like any other. Well, tonight, I was noticing some 'coarse' hair...and I've balded her!! On her shoulder and a bit further down. I feel HORRID!! I'm not sure how this happened, but I won't be using this brush on her anymore----oddly enough, the store never charged me for it (their system kept freezing) I will be taking it back and let them know it wasn't the best for my kitty.

I still feel like a criminal :(
Ugh I've done this to my cat too.  It's because the brush doesn't just take out the undercoat but will keep going.