Furminator Frustration

hills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sweet Pea seems to have three varieties of fur on her... long and slick down her back and tail, "normal" length and  texture fur, and then lots and lots of the light and very fluffy stuff.  Normal cat brushes don't pick up any of her fur but she was starting to shed a lot in spring so I got her a Furminator for long hair cats. She loves it on her cheeks, back and tail but when I try to use it on the fluffy fur on her sides where she really needs it (SO much fur comes out), I usually get the warning paw with claws out.  I've tried taking long strokes, and then I tried little strokes, but I never get very far until she runs off. Am I doing something wrong?

I know cats don't like having their sides touched much but the fur there is so thick, the brush can get stuck and I'm sure it's uncomfortable her.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my long haired girl, I distract her with a toy sometimes while I brush her. This is especially helpful when I brush her belly. She loves belly rubs, but brushing her belly is a no no.

However, when she's stalking a bird outsidecthe window, or trying to grab her string toy, she let's her guard down.

The sides seem to be a point of contention on my girls as well.
Make sure to mind her little hip bones and also watch her lower leg bones if she's sitting on her hind end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try distracting her, I brushed her again yesterday and right now it seems like the best thing for her sides is to brush with the furminator until she starts getting peeved and then remove the loose fur with the regular cat brush. 

littlewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its a bit nicer if the cat is laying on its side rater than being pushed over. My kitty loves head brushing so I pet him really hard on the head with one hand to distract him from doing between his legs and his sides with the other.